Ducati Chonburi Club Ride To Khao Yai

RusticCharm

I joined up with Pang and the boys from the Ducati Club Chonburi at a Shell station in Chachoengsao for a one-dayer to Khao Yai. One of the guys has a resort (Veravian, still under construction) and we were to ride there for steak. Nice!

A few 1098s's, an S4R and a Streetfighter among others. Some serious machines. Pang led the way, emergency lights-a-flashing on a huge, refrigerator-like Honda Gold Wing. About 15 of us altogether once the guys from Pattanakarn showed up.

IMG_0460.jpg

Unfortunately we had to pull over halfway through the park as an S4R rider had hit too much back brake laid it down on a tight bend.

IMG_0462_edit.jpg

At first I was wondering why we stopped. Someone mentioned something about an accident but I couldn't see any wreck or injured. It turns out the rider had done a Wily E Coyote impression and actually gone over the concrete wall (below left) and was lying on the jungle floor. Fortunately (AFAIK) a bruised ankle and knee were the only results. Very lucky IMO as he wasn't wearing any protection. No knee pads or riding boots, just trainers and jeans. Hopefully he took my advice about getting a pair of Sidis.

The bike was ridable despite the bent rear!

IMG_0464.jpg

We turned up at the Veravian Resort to find some guys at the rear had not followed. After a few phone calls, we found out one of the yellow Sport Classics had also low-sided, this time with no injuries and minimal damage. 

A stunning 1098s with Zard exhausts. I still prefer the Termis though.

IMG_0467.jpg

My iPhone decided it would be a good time to stop working so I couldn't get any more pics. All-in-all, had a great time with a nice bunch. No egos or drink-riding!

Lastly, a Bang Na-Trat highway update. Outbound (from Bangkok) has got a lot worse. The two inner lanes are now very potholed and overtaking slow-moving traffic hogging the fast lane is dicey.

Edited by RusticCharm

Sorry to hear about the crashes but these things happen. Hope the injured rider isn't hurt too bad.

I won't ever ride BangNa-Trat again, I've ridden all over and it's the most dangerous and least enjoyable road I've ever ridden in Thailand.

Unfortunately we had to pull over halfway through the park as an S4R rider had hit too much back brake laid it down on a tight bend.

Such fancy bikes and such a lack of basic skills...

The guys who crashed must ride like Terry... :)

Glad they're ok!

Ride On!

Tony

hmm 2 accidents..what is it about Ducati riders and falling off??

Anyhow sounds like you were in good company!!!:-)

Not sure what prompted those bitchy comments. Do I know you?

Oh, I get it now...

Such fancy bikes and such a lack of basic skills...

It's the company you keep.   :)

Edited by RusticCharm

I won't ever ride BangNa-Trat again, I've ridden all over and it's the most dangerous and least enjoyable road I've ever ridden in Thailand.
Yeah, I hear you but at least it's quick. The only other alternatives AFAIK are the no3 highway (the old Sukhumvit) or from Ornut, past the airport. Both of these options narrow into 2 lanes and seem to be rather busy with 6 or 10 wheelers and overtaking means going into the opposite lane. Doable but not much fun either. And slower going than Bang Na-Trat.

Yeah, I hear you but at least it's quick. The only other alternatives AFAIK are the no3 highway (the old Sukhumvit) or from Ornut, past the airport. Both of these options narrow into 2 lanes and seem to be rather busy with 6 or 10 wheelers and overtaking means going into the opposite lane. Doable but not much fun either. And slower going than Bang Na-Trat.

Try the 304 to Chachoengsao and then south on the 319(?) to Chonburi / Pattaya- very pleasant road in good repair with little traffic and no police. Takes a bit longer than the Bang Na Trat but much safer and infinitely more enjoyable.

Ride On!

Tony