Riding An Unreg'd Bike In Cm

Bung

Am I looking for trouble? I would just be taking it out of town for short blats around the country side and home. Are they strict at the roadblocks? I am fine where I live at the moment as it is very quiet but sure it will be different in CM. It's insured, I'm licensed, has invoice etc.

Anyone know of a good and honest shop to get a legal registration done? Don't mind paying for it as I would like to ride it around town as well.

Sorry, the question has been asked a hundred times but looking for up to date info.

No need to flame, I bought it to ride around the very quiet hills where I live but we are now moving to CM and I want to keep it.

Really its one of those cases where its all fine.. Until it isnt !!

Day to day use around CM may cause problems.. I would speak to guys like Pikey at 'Tonys big bikes' and others in the locality who are exposed to this issue for real news.. And network so that once a crackdown starts you know to have it off the road and under wraps for a week or two.

Cheers, good advice. I will try and get a book for it, thinking about what can happen it would break my heart. I think I just answered my own question! The cost of the book will add value to the bike, I've seen the prices for with and without. Even trying to ride it there, I wouldn't be comfortable and will bring it in two parts (along with my dirt bike with no papers at all...)

You know the risks, so no one needs to tell you them; but if your stay out of town and ride the country side you'd likely be safe for a long time. Know of unreged bikes that reside in Saripee and Nong Hoi; that don't go down town, take weekly visits to the mountains, sometimes buzz down to the golf course - and have done so for over the year since I made their acquaintnace. Even during the crack downs last year.

You don't have my word on it, this is just my observations. There is a nice softtail that has cowered under a sad layar of dust since the crack down last year, in my Mo Ban. :) Just saying, outta the three choices available to you (you already own it); ride it, sell it, hide it - the first one sounds the best.

Yeah well I am looking forward to riding it up there, just try and keep me off it :) That's the trouble....I can see myself sneaking out in the pre dawn, nice quiet trailing throttle on the highway out, peering ahead for cops....

Really its one of those cases where its all fine.. Until it isnt !!

Day to day use around CM may cause problems.. I would speak to guys like Pikey at 'Tonys big bikes' and others in the locality who are exposed to this issue for real news.. And network so that once a crackdown starts you know to have it off the road and under wraps for a week or two.

Bung, for sure call in for a chat but please let me make this perfectly clear, neither myself or anyone connected with the shop can help with getting a bike registered, either legally or otherwise.

As far as I know at the moment, the heat is off and friends (Thai & farang) ride unplated bikes in town at night and in the country at all times. The problems arise if the cops want to stop you for some reason or you otherwise attract their attention in some way.

Cheers,

Pikey.

You say you have all the papers for the bike but not paid the tax. I suggest you take a ride over to the Land Transportation Department in Nong Hoy and ask them if you have everything it takes to register the bike. They've had an on-going program to register gray market bikes for quite a while and my sources tell me it's still going on. Worth a try. Believe me, they won't take your bike.

I ride my legit cbr150 a lot outside CM. But i wouldn't mind getting a cheap big bike and chancing it.

I'm sure I've have done the Mae Sa valley and Sameong loop way over a hundred times, and I have never got the sense that having a 'cowboy' bike there would be a problem.

On other trips there are checkpoints, but I just ride up quickly, open my helmet, smile and they let me through. Big bike? I dunno. Probably ok. On a bad day, no-k.

It would be worth having a big bike just for Mae Sa, though. Keep a dirt bike out where there somewhere. Switch off. Fun!