Notebook Problems

PETERTHEEATER

I’m having problems with my notebook PC; sometimes the Norton AV driver will not load and I have to uninstall and reload Norton but then the AV definitions are back to the earlier date and I have to run live update for 90 minutes through a modem to update.

Question: How can I back up the Virus definitions that are on my hard disc and put them back into basic Norton AV when I reinstall the application? (And of course the other associated updates)

I’ve scoured my system but cant locate any ‘definition’ files so where are they hidden?

(the failure of the AV driver to load is associated with some corrupted BIOS files which I am in the process of fixing but my discs are in another Province)

PETERTHEEATER - Symantec (Norton) update their antivirus files every weekday, and on weekends where necessary. You can download the latest definations file and install it manually from this link. (New updates are posted mid-afternoon, Pacific Daylight Time (GMT-7).

Just download the version which best fits your needs and run it. It will automatically search your system and update all the definitions.

On a personal note, would second RDN's recommendation on AVG. It is more system friendly than NAV and ........... you have to admit it's hard to beat FREE. :o

cheers :D

In my previous post, forgot to add that Symantec (Norton) only update the definitions file downloaded through the NAV "AutoUpdate", once a week (Wednesdays). Therefore if you want the latest protection, download and install the definitions from link shown earlier.

cheers :o

My thanks to the above posters for your useful pointers and tips.

I get the Norton updates weekly through their Live Update site as pointed out.

I will certainly take a look at the alternative AV that you have recommended.

thanks

In my previous post, forgot to add that Symantec (Norton) only update the definitions file downloaded through the NAV "AutoUpdate", once a week (Wednesdays). Therefore if you want the latest protection, download and install the definitions from link shown earlier.

cheers :o

PETERTHEEATER - Symantec (Norton) update their antivirus files every weekday, and on weekends where necessary. You can download the latest definations file and install it manually from this link. (New updates are posted mid-afternoon, Pacific Daylight Time (GMT-7).

Just download the version which best fits your needs and run it. It will automatically search your system and update all the definitions.

On a personal note, would second RDN's recommendation on AVG. It  is more system friendly than NAV and ........... you have to admit it's hard to beat FREE. :D

cheers :D

Interesting. I've generally used "LiveUpdate" (as part of my Norton Systemworks 2003) to get the new virus definitions. Did it just now and it updated to 11/05/05. Then did it again using Waldwolf's manual link - and it updated to 15/05/05.

Reinforces my notion that Norton is NOT the way to go and I won't be renewing my virus update subscription.

EDIT: Sorry, folks. Just spotted Waldwolf's follow-on post about LiveUpdate - that'll teach me to read to the end of the thread before hitting the reply button :o

Edited by Steve2UK