Giving Birth In Thailand

adz7202

MY PARTNER AND I ARE MOVING TO HUA HIN IN SEPTEMBER, WE'RE BOTH ENGLISH AND THINKING ABOUT STARTING A FAMILY. WOULDN'T KNOW WHERE WE STAND AS IN CHECK UPS, SCANS, THE BIRTH ETC OR EVEN IF ITS ALLOWED. HAS ANYONE GOT A CLUE PLEASE? DON'T WANT TO GET HER PREGNANT THEN HAVE TO COME BACK TO ENGLAND. THANKS

Medical treatment is good and inexpensive in Thailand. IMHO, you are in safer hands than in the UK simply because the medical staff are not overworked. I cannot make specific recommendations for Hua Hin, but I think there have been a couple of threads in the past. Perhaps, you could consider using a hospital in Bangkok. There are no legal restrictions on standard prenatal or postnatal treatments.

At a private hospital delivery packages start at about 30,000 baht. Shop around prices are different in different hospitals. Find a doctor that speaks English well and is willing to go follow your wishes. Some hospitals have theme rooms too. All prenatal and post delivery visits will have additional charges which add up, still cheaper than western hospitals. A standard package can include 4 days and 3 nights. Make sure you have your own birth certificates with you for when you apply for citizenship at your embassy.

I know a couple of people who have used the OB services during pregnancy and for birthing at Petcharat Hospital in Petchiburi (45 minutes north of Hua Hin) and they have had nothing but good things to say about it.

If you wait a year or so to start your family a new "world class" private hospital is being built in Hua Hin now, due to open in 2011.