Ben And Jerry's

bunta71

I have been looking for my fix of Cherries Garcia and can'y seem to find it. Used to get it at Foodland, but they have changed suppliers six months ago and just can't seem to get their act together. I believe Ben and Jerry's ice cream is all that's keeping me alive so I need it bad,man!Any help out there?

Villa has BJ but not sure about Cherry Garcia. Frankly, I am too cheap to pay the 330 baht price for an item that is less than 100 baht in the US. Also when the baht strengthened they RAISED the price on it when it should have been lowered.

A couple years ago someone was distributing B&J's ice-cream in Thailand. I don't think it went very well (personally I can't stand the stuff...way too sweet). Even 7-11 was stocking it (like the sort of Thais that shop at "7" would spend over B300 for a pint of ice cream :) ). However, I have not seen it (even at Villa or Foodland) for awhile and I think the Kingdom is now free of this dastardly ice-cream.

Imported premium ice-creams are now limited to Haagan-Daz and New Zealand Naturals (love the H-D Cappuccino Truffle...yum-yum).

Edited by FarangBuddha

A couple years ago someone was distributing B&J's ice-cream in Thailand. I don't think it went very well (personally I can't stand the stuff...way too sweet). Even 7-11 was stocking it (like the sort of Thais that shop at "7" would spend over B300 for a pint of ice cream :) ). However, I have not seen it (even at Villa or Foodland) for awhile and I think the Kingdom is now free of this dastardly ice-cream.

Imported premium ice-creams are now limited to Haagan-Daz and New Zealand Naturals (love the H-D Cappuccino Truffle...yum-yum).

Really? Villa doesn't carry it anymore? Wouldn't surprise me. I think they could have moved a lot more product at 200 Baht a pint but have no idea if there would be any profit in it. Ice cream too sweet? That's silly.

Villa still has it as of less than a week ago. They have a whole refrigerator dedicated to it, as does Tops on Central Pattaya Road, if I recall correctly. Carrefour used to have one too, but I haven't been there in ages.

Edited by Jimmyd

Yes guilty to the hippie complement. All hippies like cherries.I don't like the price of Ben and Jerry ice cream here but every once in a while(around payday) I need my fix. I'll try some of the other places. Can't stand the Thai ice cream which is mostly air/foam. I used to make my own quite frequently and even have one of my recipes published in a local cook book back in the states. Rock on.

Holy Buttermilk, Batman!

Does Ben & Jerry's really cost more than 300 baht/pint in Pattaya? In New England, pints of B & J ice cream first came around @ 2/ $3.00 at first; 'course, that was a long time ago. My family even toured the production plant in Vermont when our kids were small... extremely super-delicious. They showed us that waiting for the ice cream to warm up a bit after coming out of the freezer really improved the consistency/teture as well as the flavor. Yikes, amazingly delictable!

Here, I have never bought Ben & Jerry's because I'm on a much tighter budget than I was in the States, and I know the price was high a few years ago when I looked. But, more than 300 baht/pint is a lot to pay... even for Cherry Garcia; New York Super Fudge Chunk; Chunky Monkey; Rainforest Crunch; Chubby Hubby or whatever!

Anyway, gotta go now... sh_t! Off to the nearest KFC for (another) 10 baht soft-serve cone! Hmmm... 300 baht...

Holy Buttermilk, Batman!

Does Ben & Jerry's really cost more than 300 baht/pint in Pattaya?

...more than 300 baht/pint is a lot to pay... even for Cherry Garcia...

Humm...lets think about this a bit:

Rent for my 3 BR house in Pattaya B 10,000k per month ($300); House rental in San Francisco (where I'm from) $ 3000 per month

Water/sewer, electric, garbage, cable TV/internet per month B 2,600 in Pattaya ($ 80); Same utilities in SF $250.00

Nice restaurant meal in Pattaya B 350 ($ 11.00); Restaurant meal SF $ 25.00

Going on a "date" in Pattaya B 1000 ($ 30.00); Going on a "date" in SF $ 200.00

I could go on and on but I think you get the picture. With savings like that, I can afford to buy all the B 329 ($ 10.00) pints of H-D icecream I could possibly eat :)

PS: And the H-D ice-cream and ice-cream bars sold in Thailand are imported from Japan (you know how fussy the Japanese are about their food) and use better ingredients and are therefore richer and better tasting than those sold in the US.

Edited by FarangBuddha

Hard to believe vulgarity could enter a harmless ice cream thread. Most of the live shows I attended were in the late 60's and early 70's. Never saw the Dead but did want to see Jerry Garcia perform with my mandolin hero David Grisman and never did. I saw a lot of shows though way back. Grew up on the west coast and in those days there were lots of festivals and concerts and they were anywhere from free to 20 dollars. I did attend California jam 1 which still according to Guiness book had the largest sound system ever and was the second largest festival after Wood stock. Spent the 80's and 90's flying my Supercub around Alaska and other things. Good Morning George.

Hard to believe vulgarity could enter a harmless ice cream thread. Most of the live shows I attended were in the late 60's and early 70's. Never saw the Dead but did want to see Jerry Garcia perform with my mandolin hero David Grisman and never did. I saw a lot of shows though way back. Grew up on the west coast and in those days there were lots of festivals and concerts and they were anywhere from free to 20 dollars. I did attend California jam 1 which still according to Guiness book had the largest sound system ever and was the second largest festival after Wood stock. Spent the 80's and 90's flying my Supercub around Alaska and other things. Good Morning George.

Apologies for continuing off topic but I just had to reply. David Grisman and Jerry Garcia were part of the 'Old and in the Way' Bluegrass Band, Gerry as well as being part of the Dead was also a bluegrass banjo picker like myself.

my vulgarity was a joke :) i got yelled at because i called you a f'in hippie instead of just accusing you of being a 'regular' hippie. damned if i can tell the difference. and yes! the WALL OF SOUND!

GD072174Wall.jpg

Reminds me of a funeral I went to in Isaan a few months back, but I think there were more speakers at the funeral. :D

Every Greatful Dead show that I went to sucked and they were usually the headliners. Jefferson Airplane were 2nd on the bill and much better. :)

The Dead sucked? You didn't have the right additives, dude.

my sentiments exactly. but, that Philly show in '93 was truly horrible, i never went to another show.

and to Rimmer's post, Old & In the Way is probably the greatest bluegrass outfit in the history of bluegrass. i actually have the original soundboard recordings that eventually became the "Old & In the Way" LP/CD. there were (i believe) 3 other shows available of this short-lived group. come on, Vassar Clements, Peter Rowan and Jerry's favorite low-end John Kahn??? simply stellar.

Apologies for continuing off topic but I just had to reply. David Grisman and Jerry Garcia were part of the 'Old and in the Way' Bluegrass Band, Gerry as well as being part of the Dead was also a bluegrass banjo picker like myself.

Now I understand why the Dead are so boring... :)

I declare this topic well and truly hijacked. Even the Mods are getting in the act. :)

Or perhaps it's about Ben and Jerry Garcia, not Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia.

it's not hijacked. we're all waiting until next week to see if Villa has Cherry Garcia yet. might as well have a good discussion. or wait for Raro to come in and say something and then we can all make fun of him. oh wait...

Villa still has it as of less than a week ago. They have a whole refrigerator dedicated to it, as does Tops on Central Pattaya Road, if I recall correctly. Carrefour used to have one too, but I haven't been there in ages.

The Villa Lang Suan stopped carrying B&J's a couple of months ago.

The Villa Lang Suan stopped carrying B&J's a couple of months ago.

Check your bearings mate...this is the Pattaya sub-forum :)