International Rugby Fixtures

The Asian Five Nations rugby fixtures for 2010 have been published, along with the fixtures for the lower divisions.

http://www.a5nrugby.com/page.php?id=5&title=SCHEDULE

If the link doesn't work, you can search on "asian five nations rugby fixtures 2010"

Thailand will be playing in New Delhi in the Division Two competition, if any of happen to be passing...Likely a China v Thailand final on the 5th. Unless the Thailand players get their leave cancelled ...

SC

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

will any games be televised?

I don't think any of the major international channels carry the games, but I recall seeing highlights - probably at the end of the season, for last year.

I'm not sufficiently tele-savvy to find out, and I suspect that the big sports web sites don't particularly follow the smaller countries...

Thailand China ought to be a very competitive game - China lost out to Malaysia last year in Kuala Lumpur, to stay in Division 2, after not turning up for the division 1 tournament in Taiwan the previous year... Thailand meanwhile are back down in Division 2 after a season with the big boys in Division 1...

SC

Singapore's A5N matches (in Div I this year, having been relegated from the top division last year) are being covered by "SuperSports +" here in Singapore. But that's a local channel, equivalent to True in Thailand, and I thought True wouldn't show any rugby these days in which case you'd be out of luck?

Edited by Captain Chaos

• 3 weeks later...
Singapore's A5N matches (in Div I this year, having been relegated from the top division last year) are being covered by "SuperSports +" here in Singapore. But that's a local channel, equivalent to True in Thailand, and I thought True wouldn't show any rugby these days in which case you'd be out of luck?

Let's hope Thailand do well in June, and join you and Malaysia in Div. 1. I wonder where the tournament would be held, assuming Arabian Gulf come down - Thailand's turn, I guess, since Singapore this year, Arabian Gulf and Malasia hosted Div 1 and Div 2 last year; Thailand hosted Div 2 the year before that.

SC

No doubt you were all as surprised as I was (though perhaps less interested) to learn that Arabian Gulf pulled off a shock win against Hong Kong in Bahrain, to throw open the race for the wooden spoon in the Asian Five Nations. Anything could happen in the next few weeks...

Thailand's international campaign this year will take place in Division Two, in New Delhi in the first week of June.

Televisation: http://www.asian5nations.com/node/32

SC

This Friday sees Korea travel to the permanent temporary rugby stadium in the desert near Dubai to play Arabian Gulf. I think Star Sports might be broadcasting the game, though maybe not the curtain-raiser between Jordan and Lebanon, earlier in the afternoon. A second win by Arabian Gulf would see them avoid relegation to Division 1...

SC

The odyssey across the desert can wait till another story...

Anyway, we got there in good time for the curtain-raiseer - Lebanon v Jordan; both sides seemed to be relying on emmigrant players plying their trade in Australia and the UK, judging from the accents, though there was some arabic shouted on the field as well. Lebanon, more known for their rugby league, seemed the more skillful of the two sides, though Jordan appeared to have the edge in the forwards. Both sides struggled in the afternoon heat (I did, too, and I was just sat in the stands watching). At the end of the 80 minutes, Lebabon walked away the winners 27-8.

The main event - Arabian Gulf - Korea - started under the floodlights at 7.00pm. In the first half, Korea appeared to have the upper hand, but as the Koreans tired, the Gulf used their phyusical strength to put the pressure on, and went ahead, a penalty taking them seven points ahead in the last quarter, but ruing an earlier missed conversion that would have put them two scores clear.

The Koreans attacked left and right, with quick ball through the backs, but desparate Gulf defence kept them out until the dying seconds of the game, when the Korean winger dived over for a try in the corner, but the angle was too great for the conversion, and Arabian Gulf ended their final season 21-19 winners.

From 2011, the constituent countries of the Arabian Gulf will play under their own national unions.

Only a HUGE result against Khazakhstan will see Korea avoid the iognominy of relegation to Division 1, to join Malaysia, Sri Lanka and the winners of Division Two - possibly Thailand? We'll find out in June...

SC

Japan posted a 94 points against Hong Kong to cement their World Cup place, while Khazakstan defeated Korea to keep their world cup hopes alive with play-offs for the final spot in New Zealand 2011.

Thailand's Division Two campaign kicks off on 2nd June in Delhi against the Philippines, with the Division Two final on Saturday 5th

SC

• 2 weeks later...

India overwhelm China 94-0 in Asian Five-Nation Rugby

2010-06-02 23:10:00

India overwhelmed favourites China 94-0 in the first of the HSBC Asian Five-Nation Rugby Division II tournament at Delhi University grounds here Wednesday.

India now play the Philippines in the final Saturday. The Philippines beat Thailand 53-33 in the second match of the day. If India manage to get past the Philippines, they will be promoted to Division I.

Sifynews

...Thailand's Division Two campaign kicks off on 2nd June in Delhi against the Philippines, with the Division Two final on Saturday 5th

SC

Amazing results from Delhi!

http://sify.com/news/India-overwhelm-China...gcxkihfjjj.html

Thailand see off China to avoid the ignominy of Division III rugby, while China continue their downward slide, and the Philippines rocket into Division I...

http://sify.com/news/india-falter-against-...ggaacegcff.html

India falter against Philippines in Five Nations Rugby

2010-06-06 00:00:00

India went down 12-34 to the Philippines in the HSBC Five Nations Rugby Tournament (Division II) at the Delhi University grounds here Saturday.

As a result, Division II winners the Philippines will be promoted to Division I while China, who finished fourth in the tournament after losing to Thailand 3-56 Saturday, will be demoted to Division III.

India, who defeated favourites China 94-0 in their tournament opener Wednesday, began on a strong note in the final with Surinder Singh scoring a try in the opening minutes of the match. However, the Philippines bounced back with five straight penalties before Matt Saunders helped the visitors finish the first half with a lead of 22-7.

The Philippines carried the momentum in the second half, adding 12 more points while India could only manage another try through Surinder Singh again.

• 2 weeks later...

So I reckon Thailand will be playing in Division II again next year, and my prediction is that the tournament will be held in Iran - apparently Tehran is a pleasant enough city, but not sure it will be quite the same as a night out in Bangkok...I doubt it will attract much travelling support. I could be wrong about the venue, though.

SC

So I reckon Thailand will be playing in Division II again next year, and my prediction is that the tournament will be held in Iran - apparently Tehran is a pleasant enough city, but not sure it will be quite the same as a night out in Bangkok...I doubt it will attract much travelling support. I could be wrong about the venue, though.

SC

getting stoned has a different meaning there :)

(sorry)

I guess you guys will all be racing down the road to Phnom Penh for the Combodia - Brunei game this afternoon. Or are you going to wait till next weekend for Cambodia - Laos. More of a 'derby' atmosphere...

Rugby Union | Rugby fixtures - next seven days | Scrum.com

Koupreys hope to do better | Sport | The Phnom Penh Post - Cambodia's Newspaper of Record

I would have thought a lot of the chaps on this forum would be unable to resist the gate price...

"Admission at Old Stadium is free for all games."

Maybe you'll need to charter a bigger bus....

SC

I'm disappointed that none of the chaps who went down saw fit to post a match report, or at least the score. Maybe they were carried away with the excitement...

Anyway, for the benfit of those of us who couldn't make it to Old Stadium, Phnom Penh

20 June 2010: Cambodia 9 - 10 Brunei

Brunei take on Laos tomorrow, and Cambodia play Laos on Saturday. All matches at the Old Stadium, Phno Penh, I think.

Unfortunately I can't afford the time off work...

SC

In the final match of the HSBC Asian Five Nations and supporting divisions, Laos beat Cambodia to retain the Mekong Cup

http://www.irb.com/newsmedia/regional/newsid=2039366.html#laos+wins+final+match+asian+nations

So that's it for another year...

A year that saw the Philippines continue their rise through the ranks as China continued their fall, Japan qualify and Khazakstan go on to play off for the final spot in the 2011 World Cup, and the Arabian Gulf win their first and last international victories, before looking forward to participating as the constituent nations next year

SC

• 4 months later...

I'm sure you'll all be glued to your sets to watch the Asian Games Rugby Sevens, starting Sunday, I believe (prob. live on Astro, and I'd not be surprised to see it on a local channel in Thailand as well...)

I reckon Thailand Ladies have a chance of getting to the Final, but the gentlemen will not get past the semis, if that...

My prediction, on behalf of Nostradamus, who doesn't follow league, or sevens:-

China to beat Thaland in the Ladies Final

and

Japan to beat Hong Kong in the Gents' final, but could be China depending on the draw; Korea to be the most disappointing team, but still get to semis

You can see now why Nostradamus sticks to what he's good at....

SC

Teams competing:

Countries sending Rugby Women's Team to Asian Games 2010

1. China
  2. Hong Kong
  3. South Korea
  4. Thailand
  5. Uzbekistan

Countries sending Rugby Men's Team to Asian Games 2010

1. China
  2. Hong Kong
  3. India
  4. Japan
  5. Malaysia
  6. Mongolia
  7. South Korea
  8. Sri Lanka
  9. Thailand

• 2 months later...

The international fixture lists are out now - Thailand are fortunate to be hosting Division II again...

Div 2 & 3 Fixtures

Some of the Five Nations games will be televised

Five Nations

but I don't know who has the broadcast rights in Thailand.

I decided my wallet and my liver could not afford the HK Sevens this year, and I hate to go without them, so no HK trip for another year...

SC

• 2 months later...

Next Saturday sees Japan travel to HK Football Club, while UAE host Khazakstan at the Zayed Sports City in Abu Dhabi on Friday evening

(EDIT: Eurosport and Star Sports are showing some of the games)

I watched Sri Lanka and UAE mud-wrestle to a draw in COlombo on Saturday afternoon, while HK came away from Almaty as winners.

Thailand host Division two in the first week of May - I'll be hoping to make it to the Finals...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

UAE stun Kazakhstan in Asian 5 Nations

http://www.irb.com/n...n+asian+nations

UAE 24 - 10 Khazakstan, from Abu Dhabi.

Japan's game against Khazakstan will be played in Bangkok, after the Division Two games, I think, next weekend

7 May (Sat) Kazakhstan v Japan Thailand National Stadium, Bangkok 19.00

I am not sure the bairns will be up to watching three games in a row...

SC

Anyone else going to the games this afternoon?

I'll be there for the Div. 2 Final - Thailand v Taiwan, and probably staying on for Japan v Khazakstan

Assuming I get the right ground this time - there is only one National Stadium, right?

Near National Stadium Station?

SC

Turns out there were two pitches there, but the young lady at the gate set me straight, and I arrived in good time for the Thailand Taiwan game; 200 baht to get in, mind, which was a bit of a surprise; scarcely broke the bank of Monte Carlo, but still, a surprise none the less; anyway, money well spent.

Taiwan claimed promotion with a flattering 22-10 score; I left at half-time in the following match with Japan 28-0 up against Khazakstan, and they went on in a similar vein in the second half, apparently, to run away 61-0 victors.

Maybe if the home support had been a bit more vociferous, the result might have been different. Mai pen rai.

SC

• 4 weeks later...

Singapore play Korea on Saturday 4th June, to determine who is promoted to the elite Asian Five Nations; live on Eurosport and Star Sports.

SC

EDIT: And on Sunday, the Australasian Touch Rugby Championships, on ESPN at lunchtime. Now there's an offer you can't reduce.

And the Churchill Cup late in the afternoon on Astro Supersport 1

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 3 weeks later...

At the risk of ridicule, I have been watching the highlights of the Indonesia Pakistan relegation battle (I use the term slightly sardonically)

A bit of a ding-dong to-and-fro match, but 'highlights' could be taken as flattery or journalistic hubris...

In the other match, China won promotion over Guam, to return to Division 2, so I expect Thailand will be travelling to the middle kingdom next year

SC

Pacific Nations Cup

Japan's Brave Blossoms go into their Pacific Nations Cup opener on Saturday determined to beat defending champions Samoa in front of a home crowd and show that their World Cup preparations are on track.

While Japan earned a 31-23 victory over Samoa in last year's event, it was the Pacific islanders who won the four-team tournament, beating Tonga and Fiji on their way to collecting the trophy for the first time.

In the other fixture on the opening day, Fiji face Tonga in Lautoka, with the remaining games to be held on July 9 and 13.

This year the tournament was due to be hosted by Japan, but Saturday's match in Tokyo is the only one that will be played in the country after the event was moved to the Fijian towns of Lautoka and Suva following Japan's earthquake-and-tsunami disaster in March.

more

IRB Pacific Nations Cup web page

02/07/2011 Tonga - Fiji Lautoka

02/07/2011 Japan - Samoa Tokyo

09/07/2011 Tonga - Japan Suva

09/07/2011 Samoa - Fiji Suva

13/07/2011 Tonga - Samoa Lautoka

13/07/2011 Japan - Fiji Lautoka

Edited by Atmos

Pacific Nations Cup

Japan's Brave Blossoms go into their Pacific Nations Cup opener on Saturday determined to beat defending champions Samoa in front of a home crowd and show that their World Cup preparations are on track.

While Japan earned a 31-23 victory over Samoa in last year's event, it was the Pacific islanders who won the four-team tournament, beating Tonga and Fiji on their way to collecting the trophy for the first time.

In the other fixture on the opening day, Fiji face Tonga in Lautoka, with the remaining games to be held on July 9 and 13.

This year the tournament was due to be hosted by Japan, but Saturday's match in Tokyo is the only one that will be played in the country after the event was moved to the Fijian towns of Lautoka and Suva following Japan's earthquake-and-tsunami disaster in March.

more

IRB Pacific Nations Cup web page

02/07/2011 Tonga - Fiji Lautoka

02/07/2011 Japan - Samoa Tokyo

09/07/2011 Tonga - Japan Suva

09/07/2011 Samoa - Fiji Suva

13/07/2011 Tonga - Samoa Lautoka

13/07/2011 Japan - Fiji Lautoka

I think that the IRB is doing a great job promoting the game; unfortunately the Japan Samoa score is not on the web site, but it is up on the web site of the Taiwan English language newspaper

http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=1642116

"Samoa beats Japan 34-15 in Pacific Nations Cup"

SC

Samoa win in Tokyo

Alesana Tuilagi scored two tries as Samoa beat Japan 34-15 in their Pacific Nations Cup opener at Tokyo's Prince Chichibu Memorial Rugby Ground on Saturday.

For Japan: Tries: Ryu Holani, Usuzuki Con: Webb Pen: Webb

For Samoa: Tries: Tuilagi 2, Salavea, Pisi Cons: So'oialo 4 Pens: So'oialo 2

Alesana Tuilagi is one of the great Tuilagi family - his younger brother Manu is in the England RWC squad.

Tonga down Fiji in Nations Cup opener

Tonga pulled off a shock 45-21 victory over hosts Fijii in the opening match of the Pacific Nations Cup in Lautoka.

For Tonga: Tries: Vahafolau, Taufa, Iongi, Taumalolo, Penalty Con: Morath 4 Pen: Morath 4

For Fiji: Tries: Kalou, Ravulo Con: Little Pen: Little 3

Nicky Little has had a great career, 35 this year and I guess he'll retire after the RWC

Edited by Atmos