What's Your Favorite Supermarket... And Why?

Michaelaway

The darkside supermarket post got me thinking, and I was moved to ask the question:

What's Your Favorite Pattaya Supermarket... and why?

Given the time to do your grocery shopping anywhere, at any supermarket in Pattaya, where do you choose... and why? Please explain your shopping style and preferrences... thanks!

My Answer:

We live in Jomtien, and I usually find myself shopping for general grocery items at FRIENDSHIP or TESCO when I have time, and FOODMART when I don't. (And, of course, everyone is right: Foodmart is no bargain... but, it's close and fast.)

For most meats, I go to MAKRO; cheeses usually from FRIENDSHIP; VILLA if I want to splurge on "specialty" items; all fresh fruits & vegetables from the Jomtien local markets at Soi 5/7 or Soi Watboon. CENTRAL's basement supermarket on Beach Rd. is pretty impressive, have bought a few thnigs there, but expensive! Don't know much about FOODLAND, but I've heard it's quite good.

What's your style...?

:)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Local markets for all things not imported, in Phuket I use Banzan Market which has a far better quality of goods than the nearby Carfooo (sic) - vegetables, meats and fish are all priced at either the same cost or cheaper than Carfoo and all stalls in the market are under one roof, good levels of hygiene and we've never had a problem, support the local economy I say. Surely Pattaya has similar hence I wonder why the OP selected only Western and western style supermarkets

Edited by chiang mai

Pretty good answers so far, thanks.

To:

Chiang Mai- I didn't "select" anything; only asked a question (about Pattaya)

Tomster- Yup

Basjke- Dude, you gotta wierd sense o' humor

Groundhog Guy- Kojai, krap (but I like, use & buy some Thai products)

Rimmer- Freebie's? What freebies?

Very interested to hear more, please...

Edited by Michaelaway

Unfortunately location does it for me, I can't stand Lotus and Big C for shopping but as Lotus (Sukhumvit) is my nearest I tend to use it quite a bit. Next up is Friendship which is quite a bit better but limited in selection, but again, convenient as I can visit Pattaya, have my walk along the beach and pick-up some shopping on the way home. As a real preference I would have to go for Carrefour and Foodland but the journey is a fair bit longer the Carrefour traffic lights irritate the heck out of me and I rarely get there any more.

In Bangkok, sorry guys who live in Pattaya :) Carrefour on Rama 4 for food.

They're just better at keeping it fresh, and with more choice than Lotus, which by the way is just in front of Carrefour on Rama 4.

And Klong Toey market, kind of a supermarket also.

Edited by eurasianthai

When I lived in Pong I would do most of my shopping at Carrefour, but for certain products, including fresh veg, I would go to Foodland. I would also go to Friendship for stuff I couldn't find elsewhere and/or I was in the vicinity.

I rarely go to Lotus or Big C as they are more Thai oriented, and have never shopped in Tops (except for their wonderful, soft baguettes that melt in your mouth)

Since I moved to Jomtien I sometimes use Foodmart for convenience (BTW it is open 24/7 like Foodland) and there is some good farang stuff there that I haven't seen elsewhere, including French bakery products and fresh sandwiches and baguettes. But as Monty says it is VERY expensive, so I go there less and less.

Friendship has been my main place of shopping, with the occasional trip to Villa, but the other day I went to Carrefour for the first time in months and was surprised to find that many products are way cheaper than friendship, Villa etc. and they have enlarged their selection of cold meats, sausages, cooked meats, and other delicatessen type products enormously. There really is a "Tesco-UK" type selection.

They even have a large selection of microwave ready meals which is a completely new line to me.

It somehow looked cleaner and brighter than it used to be - maybe a change in management following all the complaints?

If you have young kids, then Carrefour is good as they have a large play area at the back of the food court, and if you like beer, then I agree with Pattaya Parent, it's a good place to quench your thirst, down a plate of rice and admire the pretty beer girls. :)

I haven't tried Central's food section, and I suspect it would be a bit pricey, but I can certainly recommend their Food Court - probably the best in Pattaya.

To:

Tomster- Yup

You never got the FREEBIES

cakes, bread, sticky jam and custard tarts etc.from the bread shop

notepads, pens, pencils, drinking glasses,

And they always pass on any manufacturers specials like buy two get one free at the checkout.

To:

Tomster- Yup

You never got the FREEBIES

cakes, bread, sticky jam and custard tarts etc.from the bread shop

notepads, pens, pencils, drinking glasses,

And they always pass on any manufacturers specials like buy two get one free at the checkout.

Gotta go, gotta go! And Western Wholesale, too!

Meat: Foodland mostly. Excellent quality and not really that much more expensive, often on the contrary if you buy their "special price" products.

Thai stuff: local markets

Canned/bottled stuff: Makro

Veggies: Either foodland (Western veggies) and local markets (the common stuff).

Don't shop in Carrefour, don't like the time lost getting from your car to the actual shopping area and back. Shopping is not high on my list of "enjoyable" things, so I'd rather do it fast and efficient. Big reason why foodland scores high!

Friendship is not bad really, but hate their parking lot mess, especially at Tues/Fri market days!

Friendship.

I have neither a car nor a kitchen. So I'm buying things like coffee, soap, toilet paper etc.

Friendship is an easy walk and open till 2:30 AM, as a night person that works for me.

Sometimes I'll take note of the price at Friendship and check TOPS in the basement of TukCom.

Friendship.

I have neither a car nor a kitchen. So I'm buying things like coffee, soap, toilet paper etc.

Friendship is an easy walk and open till 2:30 AM, as a night person that works for me.

Sometimes I'll take note of the price at Friendship and check TOPS in the basement of TukCom.

I was starting to wonder if anybody did much shopping at Tops. Every time I've been in there (TukCom branch), it's been pretty quiet.

Don't shop in Carrefour, don't like the time lost getting from your car to the actual shopping area and back

Monty, you sure would deserve to be American... :)

Why you say that? Because he told you he's slightly retarded and doesn't like shopping much? Geez...!

In Bangkok, sorry guys who live in Pattaya :D Carrefour on Rama 4 for food.

They're just better at keeping it fresh, and with more choice than Lotus, which by the way is just in front of Carrefour on Rama 4.

And Klong Toey market, kind of a supermarket also.

Did you notice this is the Pattaya forum? :)

Indeed, I did.

But well, Carrefour, Lotus, Foodland, ... are not in Pattaya only :)

True, but I think the OP's question was related to Pattaya.

I was starting to wonder if anybody did much shopping at Tops. Every time I've been in there (TukCom branch), it's been pretty quiet.

I see Tops as yet another oversized 7-11. Mostly Thai stuff, not very interesting for farangs except for your everyday products (soap and such).