30 Days Visa Exempted Stay

A similar question is running at the moment, but went IMHO a bit wild talking about two different subjects.

So here my question again:

The MFA WEB-site specifies for 15 VOA:

- The applicant must produce instrument of means of transport (full paid ticket) which is usable within 15 days since the date of entry. -

They do not show this requirement for visa exempted entry, 30 days and immigration officers at the entry points do not ask for a ticket.

The airlines do request a ticket either return- or outbound.

I do not want to fight with the airlines, if it can be avoided.

What I still do not understand, as I never entered Thailand other than by air, what happens when you enter via a land-border, do you have to present an airline- ticket before being granted the 30 days or a return bus-ticket? (Provided of course you hold a passport from one of the 40 countries granted 30 days visa exempted entry).

I believe a clear reply to this question would clarify all other points.

The way I interpret it is that as it says

Instrument of means of transportation (confirmed air ticket paid in full)
And later
The applicant must produce instrument of means of transport (full paid ticket) which is usable within 15 days since the date of entry

That they are using Air ticket as an example of a mode of transport paid in advance that crosses a border.

If you could show a bus , train or boat ticket I am sure that so long as sit states its going out side the country you would be ok.

Its a good question though.

Is there anybody out there who has been to Ankor say before entering Thailand.

Did you get a 30 day visa at Aranya Pratet?

Requiring somebody to to have an air ticket out when they arrived by boat or land transport would seem unfair.

The entry card may hold the answer , it does ask if you entered by Rail , Road , Ship or Air.

The 15 day visa on arrival is a paid for visa, and is only available to 14 countries, namely, Bhutan, China, Cyprus, India, Kazakhstan. Maldives,Oman, Russian Fed, Saudi Arabia, Mauritius, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Ukraine. A condition of issue is an outbound airticket. Not a motor bike taxi Percival.

What about the 30 days exemption he is talking about?

I don't think you can get a prepaid ticket for a motor bike taxi.

But I am positive that you can for Buses , Trains and Boats.

Also consider the immigration entry point at Ratsada port. What would be the point of it?

Dr. sure! :o

My question is however, for an 30-days stay, visa exempted. I can give you a real situation.

A friend of mine lives in Seam Reap, young adventerous, French passport.

He wants to come to Bangkok and being so adventerous, wants to do it by bus.

So he crosses into Thailand by land.

His total stay in LoS would be perhaps 10 days. Holding a French passport he is entitled to get a visa exempted stay for up to 30 days. This is free of charge, whereas to apply for a tourist visa costs money.

He will perhaps make only one trip a year. Does he still have to show an airline ticket or anything else?

Axel as it stands, Nope....but it will soon change. An irregular entrant will have no problem. A long term non-compliant like Perce will. Good riddance. I cannot explain the irregularity. Nor can the genius. A motor bike guy has similar credentials to the other forms of transport he suggests. None of the 14 countries citizens will get entry without the airticket out

LIST OF COUNTRIES WHOSE NATIONALS ARE ELIGIBLE FOR A 30-DAY STAY IN THAILAND WITHOUT A VISA FOR THE PURPOSE OF TOURISM - Must have a valid passport (6-month validity with empty visa pages), proof of confirmed air tickets showing 30 days or less in Thailand, must have clean record in Thailand (no criminal history) and carry at least $200 per person or $400 per family. Extension of stay will not be granted.

Source: Royal Thai Consulate LA official web site.Visa page

That would mean that Malaysians wouldn't be able to drive over the border without an airticket . But anydody who has been to Had Jai or Song Kla knows this isn't the case.

But nice to see you posting quotes from official? sorces.

I don't have time to read all the MFA site just now but if you do Lop what visa would a Malaysian (or anybody else) have to have to drive over.

As the MFA site doesn't have the "must produce instrument of means of transport" for the 30 day exemption I would guess it makes sense that its not a requirement.

At the very least one of these sites has got it wrong.

When I have time i will email the LA Embassy and ask for a clarification.

OK, Dr. and Lopburi3, I rest this thing here. Anyway, thanks for the efforts.

We all know that different consulates post different rules. Airlines go absolutely on the safe way.

I mentioned before that I am against the 30-days back-to-back-hoppers

(and hope this does not start the discussion again) although I doubt they ever had to present an airline ticket for walking out and in.

Myself? I keep it legal, Visa, re-entry whatever there is.

I am now off for my weekly meeting. I got a visa from my wife, but do I have a re-entry permit if it will after mid-night?

But nice to see you posting quotes from official? sorces.
That Delta site is about as official as it gets for what rules the airlines follow. It is source to IATA.
I don't have time to read all the MFA site just now but if you do Lop what visa would a Malaysian (or anybody else) have to have to drive over.

You entry would be by "land" on your TM.6 so I would suspect the immigration office would assume you would exit the same way and not expect a ticket.

We are not talking absolutes here. Very, very few travelers are going to be asked to show their money when they enter, and probably even fewer an air ticket. But airlines know and check the rules and may, at any time, cause a problem for a traveler who is in violation of them.