New Scooter To Replace My Nouvo

2long

So what is the real score on the Nouvo Elegance 135 and tubed versus tubeless tires? I finally got down to the dealership where I bought my bike and looked into replacing my spoked wheels with mag wheels. In fact they had an Elegance the exact same color as mine with mag wheels and a set of tubeless radial tires that looked good and I got a bid on what it would cost to replace my wheels and tires.

Okay, Jack. Sounds very good.

But what was that bid? blink.gif I'm thinking of doing the same, as I love my NE and plan to keep it for a good time.

So what baht figure are we looking at?

So what is the real score on the Nouvo Elegance 135 and tubed versus tubeless tires? I finally got down to the dealership where I bought my bike and looked into replacing my spoked wheels with mag wheels. In fact they had an Elegance the exact same color as mine with mag wheels and a set of tubeless radial tires that looked good and I got a bid on what it would cost to replace my wheels and tires.

Okay, Jack. Sounds very good.

But what was that bid? blink.gif I'm thinking of doing the same, as I love my NE and plan to keep it for a good time.

So what baht figure are we looking at?

When I first talked to them, they told me to change from spokes to mags, tub to tubeless, would be "about" 5,000 baht for the new model I was looking at. But I bought a different color that already had the mags and tubeless.

Yes, I've read that somewhere else too - also got the impression here in Chiang Mai looking at second hand NE bikes compared to new Nouvo Elegances and asking about the wheels and tires.

It is cheaper, as a separate issue, to purchase the mag-wheels/tubeless tires with a new bike than as aftermarket parts. (This is a price policy that I've seen in the car market too.) My (dim) memory is that it was less than half with a new purchase, but of course that discussion could easily have been confused in my mind by that 1000 baht that is in play sometimes, plus shipping charges, or included insurance. Still, I came away with the memory of the wheels/tires being considerably cheaper with the original purchase. But I never did see a new Nouvo Elegance that didn't cost more, new, with the alloy/tubeless equipment than with spokes and tubes, of that I am sure.

Again, regarding air loss. Tubeless can probably claim that they leak less so long as the wheels/rims are new and without roughness from corrosion.

(On the other hand, trading in or selling a proven bike in its prime....)

Edited by CMX

Been thinking of getting the new Nuovo too, but might wait a while to see if they bring out a Fi version. I've also been trying to get a look at the Suzuki Hayate that is supposed to have Fi but no dealer i've been to has it, anyone seen one?

The Nuovo i am riding at the moment has done 38k kms. When i first got it about 2k kms ago the auto gearbox made a very loud whistle so i got my mechanic to change a few bearings and cogs which improved it to a whine at 30km. I think the problem was caused by a warped rear wheel (which he also fixed) but is this a problem others have with the Nuovo?

Since there has been a bit of a discussion on tyres here, would it create any problems to change 14" wheels to 16" wheels (besides speedo error)?

Been thinking of getting the new Nuovo too, but might wait a while to see if they bring out a Fi version. I've also been trying to get a look at the Suzuki Hayate that is supposed to have Fi but no dealer i've been to has it, anyone seen one?

The Nuovo i am riding at the moment has done 38k kms. When i first got it about 2k kms ago the auto gearbox made a very loud whistle so i got my mechanic to change a few bearings and cogs which improved it to a whine at 30km. I think the problem was caused by a warped rear wheel (which he also fixed) but is this a problem others have with the Nuovo?

Since there has been a bit of a discussion on tyres here, would it create any problems to change 14" wheels to 16" wheels (besides speedo error)?

My 7 year old Nouvo gen1, my 5-6 year old Nouvo MX and Elegance all have 16" wheels. Yammy tells me each of them have different rim fit though (rear brake)

I have mentioned on other threads that I will be getting a bike for my son very soon, but both of us will be using it. We had both nailed it down to a Nuovo Elegance when someone mentioned that we should not forget the new Suzuki Hiyate. After doing some preliminary checks, it appears to be just a tiny bit smaller than the NE but quite a bit cheaper. My son posted some messages on a number of Thai motorcycle websites to see what the feed back would be. Suprisingly, more people suggested the Hiyate than the Elegance. They said that Suzuki was often overlooked by Thais who favor Honda and Yamaha and yet Suzuki is up with the best of them technologically. Anyway, we are also hoping to get a look at the new Hiyate before making a final decision.

Edited by GarryP

I just visited another major Suzuki dealer in Chiang Mai. He also has NO new Hayate 125F-1 models, though he does have Shogun models with the F-1. He said in jest maybe six months but then admitted maybe on sometime in August for availability of the 2010 Hayate F-1 ... but no promises.

Meanwhile, at the major Yamaha dealer in town while having a broken spoke replaced, I watched two big bike hauling trucks back in to unload new models, mostly Fino's. And yes, the discounts for the two Nouvo '09 models, Elegance and MX, 3K and 2K respectively, are going to run this month. The woman who helped me claimed that the tires that come with alloy wheels on the Elegance are tubeless, but I would confirm that before buying.

Elsewhere, I saw Fino's with a 3000 baht discount advertised, but did not inquire into the exact numbers. (Eek's marijuana plant bike was among 'em.)

I've mentioned before that dealers here ask for more than those prices shown on Richard's list.

Edited by CMX

How did you break a spoke? That must have been a big hit.

You can tell a wheel runs tubeless tires by the valve. Tubeless wheels have a valve stem with a rubber seal covering the wheel hole. Innertubes have a valve that you can follow inside the rim since it is part of the innertube.

The alloys on the NE135 are definitely tubeless, I even replaced my stock tires with another brand of tubeless tires.

Does anyone know where I can get a look at the 2010 Hayate in Bangkok? It would appear that some dealers have them while others don't and I do not want to spend all day Saturday running around trying to find one that does.

Just realized its name is Hayate not Hiyate. :ermm:

Edited by GarryP

Does anyone know where I can get a look at the 2010 Hayate in Bangkok? It would appear that some dealers have them while others don't and I do not want to spend all day Saturday running around trying to find one that does.

Just realized its name is Hayate not Hiyate. :ermm:

"Hayate", pronounced "hah-yah-teh", is Japanese for "fresh breeze", maybe along the same lines as Honda's "Air Blade"?

Anyway, I did check out the Hayate and Air Blade, but can't remember exactly why I chose the Nouvo. It certainly wasn't because of the looks - it reminded me of something out of the "Alien" films.

I think size, ride height, storage space and position of petrol filler cap were some of the issues I considered. Some of the competition had a special braking system, but I wasn't swayed by that.