Tyre Wear 650r

rizla

Hi, just a question on tyre wear here in LOS,

Facts: 650r, 13500km, front dropped 30mm..

My front tyre is wearing on the right side more than the left(looking forward)......i`ve measured and re-measured the drop on the forks and they are equal, so i think that is ok....

I live in the north and roads not great and have a lot of run off to them, do you think that is the reason for the uneven wear? Holding the bike against the camber..?

By the way the back is fine and even, too much on the chicken strips if you ask me but always 2 up and she gets scared...poor thing.

Yor thoughts on the wear issue please, and a good sound way to check the alignment, i dont trust the string method, more for the back tyre really.....your thoughts please HD

We used to use 6 foot or 8 foot fluorescent tubes to check wheel alignment. Fasten to tire/wheel with elastic bands. Worked great. Have you checked the steering head bearings, fork springs, all the usual ?? With such low mileage none should be worn yet, but ... I have not heard of a high crown on the road causing such extreme wear, but I am young yet and ain't heard everything yet !!! Good luck with finding the cause.

We used to use 6 foot or 8 foot fluorescent tubes to check wheel alignment. Fasten to tire/wheel with elastic bands. Worked great. Have you checked the steering head bearings, fork springs, all the usual ?? With such low mileage none should be worn yet, but ... I have not heard of a high crown on the road causing such extreme wear, but I am young yet and ain't heard everything yet !!! Good luck with finding the cause.

Can you explain the method using the fluorescent tubes...thanks

I had tyres wear out unevenly traveling long distance in Australia. In my particular case which may not be yours, I was travelling from Townsville to Sydney over several days in the stormy season. I was leaning into the wind for probably a 1/3 of that distance (off & on) and the damage / wear was done to one side. My tyres were a soft compound though and not really a touring tyre.

Edited by Garry

You ride slightly canted.

It your riding style that will need to be looked at.

Otherwise I would not worry about it.

I`m not sure if i am riding canted? How do i check....and i worry about using up my rubber, if you know what i mean....thanks