Xp Home Network

endlessnights

ok I'm just about ready to give up on this network which I foolishly volunteered to look at.

this is a small office. one internet line connected to about 15 computers. 3 of these computers are the admin computers and they need to share files.

the computer which the files and printer needs to be shared, let's call it COMP1.. the others COMP2 and COMP3. all three have Service Pack 1 installed and winxp home.

Problem: when browsing in network neighborhood, cannot see each other. get the error message Workgroup Name is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource.. etc. on COMP2 and COMP3. on COMP1, in the workgroup it sees itself and the shared stuff but does not see the other two computers.

They are all in the same workgroup, simple name.

All computers have different name and description, again simple.

All computers have browser service started

enabled netbios over tcp/ip

turned off all firewalls including xp firewall

all computers are able to get online and ping everywhere

turned off simple file sharing (though just left it the way it was, didn't change anything)

ran the wizard on all computers

I would like to add at one point this all worked.

I am out of ideas, so I'm thinking of doing a system restore.. would this do it?

aargh.

oh yes I am going to bed now, so I apologize if anyone has any questions I will not be able to reply until tomorrow afternoon.

thanks.

You could try removing file and printer sharing for Microsoft networks

then reinstaling it again on all the computers that cant see each other.

It's worked for me before...why ?? haven't a clue but it worked :o

Am I right in understanding that all these boxes have XP Home??

It MAY be worth your while upgrading the admin boxes to XP-Pro. The home networking and file sharing / locking is just diabolical.

Had similar problems myself (only 3 machines though) Pro could see W2k, Home could see W2k, Home could not see Pro. Never did get it working satisfactorily, upgraded to Pro (on the home machine) it all just worked.

Just a thought.

DC

hi'

if you use windows firewall, check the settings, may be something is blocking the ICS ...

if you use ZA check that application layer gateway is set as a server and check that the windows service(same name) is started too ...

francois