News: Great Tires For 17" Wheel Small Bikes

jbeck

if you've been searching you know your options are limited.

my 2010 wave 125i came with dunlops which I felt are an improvement over the IRCs usually installed on new bikes and readily available as replacements.

the stock sizes were 60/100 front and 70/90 rear.

I was looking for 70/90 front and 80/90 rear, not wanting IRCs, and not wanting the commonly available Michelin M45 which come in sizes like 2.5"x17" and 2.75"x17".

To my surprize, one shop in Chiang Mai offered me Dunlop TT900 tires in 70/90 front and 80/90 rear for 990 baht for both.

I thought these tires were only for larger bikes like CBRs and NSRs.

WOW what a difference. Amazing. Not much sacrifice with the slightly heavier spinning mass affecting the braking ability or suspension (designed for lighter tires) or agility (ability to change direction quickly).

Now the bike way is more stable, more planted in turns, and the softer wider rubber making for a safer ride and better braking, as well as less "upset" over potholes and other road hazards.

It feels more like a bike and less like a bicycle.

Just thought I'd pass this info on.

Which shop please? It would be nice to get some decent rubber.

dont know the name

down chiang moi road past the VERY busy shop (preeda?) where they do all the modifications, is a shop a few more shops down - mostly a parts shop, you don't see them working on bikes hardly... (both are on the right)

Which shop please? It would be nice to get some decent rubber.

dont know the name

down chiang moi road past the VERY busy shop (preeda?) where they do all the modifications, is a shop a few more shops down - mostly a parts shop, you don't see them working on bikes hardly... (both are on the right)

Thank you for the information.