Retirement Visa Income

As I understand it, as the spouse of a Thai national I need to show an income of at least 40,000 baht per month in order to obtain a retirement visa to live in Thailand.

We still have 10 years to go, and projections from my personal pension, when added to my state pension, should be enough. However, these are only projections and the amount is not, of course, guaranteed.

Plus there is no way of knowing how the pound will perform against the baht and whether inflation will cause the Thai government to increase the amount required.

When the time comes for us to retire, my wife will have been working and paying NI contributions in the UK for long enough to receive a state pension of her own, though not the full amount.

So, my question is, if necessary can I use my wife's pension income to bump up my income over the 40,000 if necessary, or will they only count my personal income and ignore my wife's?

It may seem a bit early to be asking this, but if the answer is "no" I'm going to have to see if I can increase the amount I'm contributing to my personal pension.

Sorry, no.

You could before November 2008.

From Police order 777/2551

2.18 In the case of a family member of a Thai(applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse):

Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM)

(2) Proof of family relationship

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be dejure (legitimate) and de facto;

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

(5) In the case of a parent, one of parents must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit of not less than 400,000 baht for expenses within a year.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

Edited by PoorSucker

Extension of stay based on retirement currently: 65k/month income or 800k in Thai bank 2 months before first application or combination to meet 800k (no seasoning period)

Extension of stay based on marriage to Thai currently: 40k/month income or 400k in Thai Bank 2 months before first application.

Must be your income.

Good question.

The current requirement for retirement extensions (income only) is 65k per month, not 40K.

In ten years time, there is a good chance the requirement will be higher, with probably current retirees grandfathered in on their old levels.

My personal opinion is that your Thai wife's income wouldn't be accepted, but wait for someone with a more authoritative opinion.

Of course if your income is short you can COMBINE with money in a Thai bank account to qualify (to reach 800K at the current requirements).

You mention 'Retirement'

You need 40,000 a month or 400,000 if applying for visa/extension based on Marriage

You need 65,000 a month or 800,000 if applying for visa/extension based on Retirement.

There are others who will advice you more fully.

Wonder if this'd work.

When you and your wife retire, have both pensions deposited in a single UK bank account. Your name only, but with, as it's termed in the U.S., "rights of survivorship," so she could collect it when you're gone.

Then use the income, or transfers to Thailand on a monthly basis, to prove to the UK embassy that you have the required income, baht 40k or baht 65k/month, or whatever the figure might be 10 years hence.

Mac

Thanks for the replies, guys.

So, I'll need to apply for a marriage visa, not a retirement one?

Mac, your idea may work, but as I understand it the UK Dept of Work and Pensions will not pay my wife's pension into my account, just hers or a joint account. If it were a joint account, would this make a difference do you think?

You would need to use extension of stay for Thai wife rather than retirement and a joint account likely would not be accepted for retirement and often is not for marriage. For income from UK pension the paperwork is required I believe - not the bank account.

You would need to use extension of stay for Thai wife rather than retirement and a joint account likely would not be accepted for retirement and often is not for marriage. For income from UK pension the paperwork is required I believe - not the bank account.

Lop3

Hmmm, how about Brit retirees who use investment income, dividends, and such, NOT a pension, at the UK embassy?

If that works, then, 7by7, you might be able to have automatic transfers from your wife's UK bank account to your UK bank account, to build up the funds, then do your letter at the embassy.

Getting complicated, ain't it.

Mac

If under 1,600,000 a joint account should not be accepted for retirement regardless of who it is with and recent policy has been that no joint account is acceptable. For marriage it normally has been accepted but in last several years many places have not been accepting it from reports here. As marriage accounts are joint property they should never be considered as yours. A lot of people have found that out the hard way. And not just in Thailand.

If under 1,600,000 a joint account should not be accepted for retirement regardless of who it is with and recent policy has been that no joint account is acceptable. For marriage it normally has been accepted but in last several years many places have not been accepting it from reports here. As marriage accounts are joint property they should never be considered as yours. A lot of people have found that out the hard way. And not just in Thailand.

Lop3 - Maybe I should have stated that I qualify using the 65000 Bth route and not 800.000 for 2/3 months etc.

As we all know each immigration office has its own 'set-up' and in Jomtien they accept a joint account ( for the more than 65000 route anyway.)

Or maybe they just like me.!

Lop3 - Maybe I should have stated that I qualify using the 65000 Bth route and not 800.000 for 2/3 months etc.

As we all know each immigration office has its own 'set-up' and in Jomtien they accept a joint account ( for the more than 65000 route anyway.)

Or maybe they just like me.!

The 65,000 Baht income route is based on your income.

The bank account would not come into it.

The 65,000 Baht income route is based on your income.

The bank account would not come into it.

Exactly my point LB - In Jomtien you have to have a letter from bank showing balance ( up to date ) and the last two pages of the passbook and copy of the front page saying Mr and Mrs Blogs.

Not a requirement according to the rules but you will not pass GO without it.