Why Many Farang Chose To Live In Rawai/Chalong Area

maichai40

having not read any of above comments, only the topic, this is a rare response from me--so go easy tigers!

....i personally have to defend my choice of living in chalong OFTEN.

i work in phuket town, so here i do not have drive over any dangerous hills daily.

and if i time it right, it's actually an enjoyable ride.

there is every benefit of charn talay / bang toa/ surin as far as eating, shopping, etc..only more/better!

many local examples, but even with all those aside- villa?!

cheaper rent for nicer houses.

live amongst working thai/farang living here rather than ones who happen to appear now and then cause they own a house here or six (no disrespect, i'd gladly own even a simple one!)

lucky me--i am tucked away, with rubber trees, it's private, nice neighbors, lovely landlord.

nai harn, kata noi, ao yon, ao son, cape panwa, friendship beach, coral island....proximity to ferries to yao noi, yao yai....

DOWNSIDE-social suicide if you are single (esp woman) and not an english teacher (again, no disrespect)!

i have been pushed and pulled into moving north often, but at the end of the day...if i did, by lifestyle choice i'd probably end up in nai yang/nai thong (lovely) --but i'd be even further from the than the benefits of the south (except the airport-which is looking mighty tasty in this low low season....)

ps) i LOVE Layan and Bang Toa too, but with wheels, i am there as often as those who live there....but i HOPE in turn, that i avoid the soap operas that seem to plague the area??

however....my vote-if you do not need to drive anywhere on a day to day basis-kamala.

NOBODY ever complains that kamala is out of the way?!

peace...

:-)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, OP, where do you live? I live in Kathu and can see hills and get buffalo almost daily, and there are some rubber trees around. Kathu = center of the world! Kamala - miles from anywhere... Patong - Not a place to live. Rawai - many years ago when we were looking for a house, we liked the Rawai/Naiharn area, we used to go often for drives and lunches, but it was too quiet and seemed a long way from what we needed with kids (things like shops and hospitals and schools) - of course this was like 8 years ago and the area has changed - new roads, new shops, a lot more houses, had it been that way we may have lived around Rawai, especially as I was and am working in Karon, a 30 minute drive each way from where we live now.. but at the time, although we liked Rawai/Naiharn, it was a bit too quiet for us.

If we had no kids and I had no job "down south" I'd look at land in Thalang, some lovely scenery around there (if you don't care about sea view), we have explored the back roads extensively.

For now Kathu is just right, close to everything and it's not too busy. Our house at night is very very quiet, just insects and frogs and occasional mopeds.

So, OP, where do you live? I live in Kathu and can see hills and get buffalo almost daily, and there are some rubber trees around. Kathu = center of the world! Kamala - miles from anywhere... Patong - Not a place to live. Rawai - many years ago when we were looking for a house, we liked the Rawai/Naiharn area, we used to go often for drives and lunches, but it was too quiet and seemed a long way from what we needed with kids (things like shops and hospitals and schools) - of course this was like 8 years ago and the area has changed - new roads, new shops, a lot more houses, had it been that way we may have lived around Rawai, especially as I was and am working in Karon, a 30 minute drive each way from where we live now.. but at the time, although we liked Rawai/Naiharn, it was a bit too quiet for us.

If we had no kids and I had no job "down south" I'd look at land in Thalang, some lovely scenery around there (if you don't care about sea view), we have explored the back roads extensively.

For now Kathu is just right, close to everything and it's not too busy. Our house at night is very very quiet, just insects and frogs and occasional mopeds.

I live in Kathu too, in the quiet side, maybe near you.

As of my view about the area you mentioned we have the same idea!! Me too have family and for the moment it seems the best place to live for us, everything near and very safe.

^ yes, we're 26km from Kaew Chakan, another 18km from there to Sa Kaeo town.

There's nothing 'bad' about living here - except for lack of beach - from rural NZ originally and don't particularly miss city life.

MY GF's family lives out Sa Kaew way, near Sra Kuan. They have offered us a choice of several 40 rai plots, if we want to build a house out that way. I went in late February and it seemed like a nice quiet area and not too far a drive to Sa Kaew for shopping. It was cooler than Phuket at night and not as humid. But, I may have to keep my house here, I don't know if I can live that far from the ocean... I'm not in any hurry to do anything though. The land isn't going anywhere! smile.gif

That's one of the good things about Phuket, there is likely to be somewhere on the island that suits your tastes.

Amen. No need for a "where I live is better than where you live" argument. Phuket is a big place with many faces, you can live close to the party zone and the bars if you want; you can live in the middle of a rubber plantation if you want/ Will depend on your tastes and requirements.

I lived in Kathu for a year and found it much too rainy, but to each their own. Sorry I missed your post maichai40 about where you are. Kathu is centrally located and a good place to be if you need to reach any part of the island in a reasonable amount of time.

That's one of the good things about Phuket, there is likely to be somewhere on the island that suits your tastes.

Amen. No need for a "where I live is better than where you live" argument. Phuket is a big place with many faces, you can live close to the party zone and the bars if you want; you can live in the middle of a rubber plantation if you want/ Will depend on your tastes and requirements.

The best post i read until now....and that's why i like Phuket.