Suvarnabhumi Airport Link - What A Mess!

webfact

Hey, if you don't like it, don't use it! Continue to take your taxis and leave more room for those of us who believe in public transportation.........it will be a much more comfortable and relaxing ride without your grumbling!

Any tips for a flyer coming in a few days? I really want to try it, but need to get to Sukumvit asap...no luggage to speak of:) thx.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The airport train in Shanghai suffers from a similar issue- it's less of a hassle, and not much more cost, to take a car directly from the airport to one's hotel or home .... But let's see how it goes. I remember when the Skytrain first opened there was massive criticism saying it was too expensive for Thais to use, not convenient, the stations were a pain, and it'd take many years to break even. Bit by bit escalators were added, walkways were built and connected to buildings, and improvements were made that made the Skytrain an indispensable part of Bangkok daily life. The airport link isn't going anywhere and over time I suspect will be the same.

Good one there, Crash999. It's just what i think too. Thailand has its own way of doing things, let's just look positively at them. They may not meet too high standards. Who does consistently anyway ? Look at the warts that are present in every country. There will never be any end to criticisms. But, boy, don't the Thais make up for it all with their smiles, and the never-ending happiness they give visitors. It's why legions of us keep coming back over and over again.

The train link will be improved over time, it's here to stay, it's an essential part of the transport network. And like everything else in Thailand it will soon be jai-dee.

• Like 1

Hey, if you don't like it, don't use it! Continue to take your taxis and leave more room for those of us who believe in public transportation.........it will be a much more comfortable and relaxing ride without your grumbling!

Very good...Spot on...Tu ton khap!!!

A very inaccurate article, a bit surprised that it's not only been posted on this site, but also emailed round to the whole member database .....

No-one will have to heave their bags up stairs, there are lifts and escalators from the train station level up to the check-in level.

Dantilley, thanks a million. I have not yet seen the rail link or its infrastructure, but your post rings real true to me. I am inclined to believe what you say. Thanks.

We should have more such posts calling the bluff of false propaganda

• Like 1

The airport train in Shanghai suffers from a similar issue- it's less of a hassle, and not much more cost, to take a car directly from the airport to one's hotel or home. And in Shanghai they have the added novelty of the train being a Maglev.

But let's see how it goes. I remember when the Skytrain first opened there was massive criticism saying it was too expensive for Thais to use, not convenient, the stations were a pain, and it'd take many years to break even. Bit by bit escalators were added, walkways were built and connected to buildings, and improvements were made that made the Skytrain an indispensable part of Bangkok daily life. The airport link isn't going anywhere and over time I suspect will be the same.

Totally agree. There was always going to be teething problems with this. Unfortunately, being in Bangkok, any problems will always come with the tag of corruption, of which i am sure there was a lot!

Most major construction projects like this, especially those in the public sector, have issues on opening. You are never going to please 100% of customers, 100% of the time, impossible.

However, having said that, a simple A to B should really be a little easier to construct and operate than this has proven to be (4 years behind schedule for a start!). There should be many red faces on those who were involved. I have been told that at the Paya Thai terminus there will be an on-off taxi rank outside the top floor of the structure to take people on to their final destination. Has anybody else heard this?

And finally, wasn't there a post on here a few days ago regarding another 62 billion Baht investment for Swampy? Perhaps this investment is to put right these issues! Hmmmm......

What a complete load of cock. The author of that "article" gets so much factually incorrect that it's laughable. And then all the usual bashers on here chime in with "I knew it!", "Of course it doesn't work, this is Thailand!", etc etc. Try riding on the thing then come back and post. Lets take a look at some of the inaccuracies. ("Inaccuracies" is being kind. "Lies" would be closer to the term I'm looking for.)

Despite its name, the Airport Rail Link isn't actually connected to any airport.

Er, yes it is. It is connected to Suvarnabhumi airport. I thought that was the whole point, no?

What's worse, the station does not even connect with a BTS station which is just a short distance away.

Er, yes it does. It connects directly to Phaya Thai station.

Anyone who has been to Makkasan Station must have been upset about its poor condition that does not reflect the enormous investment put in. I cannot explain exactly how it looks. You've got to see it with your own eyes. Compared with Hong Kong's Airport Rail Link, the difference are like heaven and hel_l.

Well, yes, it isn't finished yet. They say it will be fully functional at the end of the year. I think it looks quite imressive and when it is full of people, check-in counters, shops etc it will look better. Now it is an empty shell so how can you compare it with HK's system?

Whoever is thinking about boarding the Airport Link train at the Makasan Station to Suvarnabhumi Airport should give it a second thought, because they could miss their flights.

Well this is just a ridiculous statement. The express train from there takes just under 15 minutes direct to the terminal building. Ok, they only leave every 30 minutes, so even at the worst case scenario from turning up at Makkasan you are guaranteed to be at the airport within 45 minutes, usually much less. If that causes you to miss your flight then you are an idiot.

The high-speed trains, though, do not look as new as they should. In fact, they look as if they had been bought at a clearance sale.

I haven't tried the City Line, but I have used the Express Line twice and the trains are modern and very very clean. This is Thailand where everything is constantly cleaned. After the train arrives cleaners enter it and clean it before it leaves again. There were a team of cleaners at the station constantly cleaning and polishing, just as they are on the BTS which still looks clean after nearly 11 years. I have no idea where the author gets this opinion from.

Seriously people, you look like idiotic sheep condemning something you obviously haven't tried. It is a good service. There is room for improvement but that will come - it's been open four days.

• Like 2

A very inaccurate article, a bit surprised that it's not only been posted on this site, but also emailed round to the whole member database. Some examples:

Nice one Dantilly, you must have been writing this at the same time I was writing mine. Almost the same post!!

• Like 1

I am not surprise at all but we have to give them time to re think about all details ,after all similar problems happened when they opened the new airport. But who are to be blame for such silly details ? I guess the architects who didn't think about luggage for travelers ( that's a joke knowing this is an airport link) . After all its still better , faster to take a taxi to the city center. Who want to be stuck in traffic after flying so long ? :angry::angry:

"After all its still better, faster to take a taxi to the city center"

Umm, so let me understand this. The "Airport Link" is not connected to the actual airport so you need to find transportation there. You wait for a train for an uncertain amount of time due to delays and such. When you arrive at the "downtown" station, you have to take a taxi to your final destination. This whole time you are carrying your luggage around, being accosted by touts trying to sell you things, and in the BKK heat.

Whereas myself, I'll walk out of the arrivals hall, jump in a taxi with my luggage, take the highway and arrive at my home on Sukhumvit for 220 baht plus 50 surcharge.

I'll take the second option thanks :)

Instead of paying 50Baht surcharge walk up to where the taxis drop of passangers and take one of the taxis there.

The airport link IS connected to the airport, it has to be, just it was originally planned to connect the 2 airports but now only connects one with a super busy area of bkk.

The airport train in Shanghai suffers from a similar issue- it's less of a hassle, and not much more cost, to take a car directly from the airport to one's hotel or home. And in Shanghai they have the added novelty of the train being a Maglev.

But let's see how it goes. I remember when the Skytrain first opened there was massive criticism saying it was too expensive for Thais to use, not convenient, the stations were a pain, and it'd take many years to break even. Bit by bit escalators were added, walkways were built and connected to buildings, and improvements were made that made the Skytrain an indispensable part of Bangkok daily life. The airport link isn't going anywhere and over time I suspect will be the same.

Thanks for the reminder. There's tonnes of valid criticism regarding this airport link, but I think its intention is to serve incoming (and outgoing) business travellers over residents, hence the location. The Phaya Thai link has already been pointed out, and my guess it the Petchaburi MRT will eventually be extended somehow underground to link to the Makkasan station.

Just another one of many gradual improvements to the city.

Whereas myself, I'll walk out of the arrivals hall, jump in a taxi with my luggage, take the highway and arrive at my home on Sukhumvit for 220 baht plus 50 surcharge.

You know if you go up to the departures section on the topmost part of the airport, you can get a taxi without having to pay the surcharge...;)

I've never seen such pathetic nonsense in my life. The writer has no clue what he's talking about.

Of course the "Airport Link" connects downtown with the airport. It terminates in the new station on Level M at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Connecting BKK and DMK was never intended.

No one is paying "full fare" right now. The Airport Express non-stop service to Makkasan costs 100 baht and the City Line commuter service to Phay Thai, stopping at every station, costs 15 baht. These are introductory prices.

There is a ramp between the Airport Link Station and the BTS station at Phaya Thai. A walkway from Makkasan City Air Terminal to Petchaburi MRT station is in the works.

Most traffic on the line will be commuters from Bangkok's eastern suburbs. The train line will improve the lives of millions of people.

The traffic situation at Makkasan is a problem that can be resolved. The baggage system will be in operation in a few months.

Any tips for a flyer coming in a few days? I really want to try it, but need to get to Sukumvit asap...no luggage to speak of:) thx.

Take the airport train to Phaya Thai, then the skytrain to where ever on Suhkumvit you need to be. Quick, easy, and cheap

Which part of Sukhumvit?

Option 1 - Express train from airport to Makkasan. Walk (4-500 metres) to Petchaburi MRT. One station to Sukhumvit MRT (right next door to Cowboy!). BTS to anywhere on Sukhumvit.

Option 2 - Express train from airport to Makkasan. Local (stop all stations) train from Makkasan to Phayathai BTS. BTS to anywhere on Sukhumvit.

Option 3 - Local (stop all stations) train from airport to Phayathai. BTS to anywhere on Sukhumvit.

Just a reminder to posters to take care in referring to others posters as being idiots. This can be considered as flaming. The article is posted from a news source and people are free to express their opinion. For those who have taken the train your first hand knowledge is appreciated, but lets keep to the topic of the OP and not the intelligence level of other posters.

Thanks.

Sure, but it depends on where you are going on Sukhumvit. Get off at Makassan to take the MRT from Petchaburi to Asoke BTS, or go to Phaya Thai and cross over to the BTS there.......easy!

As I posted in another thread, I made some observations on the local train between the airport and Phaya Thai during the last week of the free trial runs:

If you enjoyed the original grey interior design of the airport terminal itself before they installed colored seat cushions and scattered plants, you'll looove the train station. It is TOTALLY GREY.

Nice little shopping area just outside the airport train station entrance, including a Subway sandwich shop and a convenience store.

The train cars give a fast, quiet ride, but the interior design is a bit "different". There are little partitions on either side of the doors (nothing unusual there), but the bench seats don't go all the way to the partition. There's a little gap, about wide enough for one person to stand. Why not extend the bench all the way to the partition to let that person sit? (This is not about the area were there is a large gap between the end of some seat benches and the partition ... those are probably for wheelchair parking, although there are no anchoring mechanisms there.)

The plastic bench seat itself is shallower than I've ever seen on a train. It helped me maintain proper erect seating posture, since if I slouched my fat @ss was so close the the edge, I think I would have slid off and on to the floor.

The poles that support the straps for standing passengers are much closer to the seat than on other trains. That often meant (in my observations my rides today) that someone sitting on the bench has to sit with legs spread to accommodate the too-near pole.

The doors *slam* shut. They slide together slowly until they meet, and the *bam!* they retract up against the door frame. I don't think it's a safety hazard, but I flinched the first few times I heard it.

I was a little surprised to see the empty advertising placard holders. i.e. Not a bit of advertising yet. I'd think they could have charged advertisers even for the trail runs, no? I was more surprised to see no place for a route-map placard, unless they slap on a bumper sticker-type deal right above the doors. The area above the doors is not that large, and there is no placard holder there.

What with the state of digital audio recording these days, I think the announcements could be better constructed. It was like: "The train is now approaching ..... Phaya Thai Station." or "The train will be arriving the station in .... ONE!!! ... minute." The pauses make it seem unpolished, and the uneven-ness of the sentence fragments doesn't help.

• Like 1

Another voice of support for the new train link. I took it yesterday, going by BTS from Saladaeng to Phayathai; found Phayathai very well signed and no problem proceeding to the Airport Train -- there were even uniformed Link employees at the BTS turnstyle to point the way.

The bridge connecting the two stations couldn't have been more convenient. And the train itself was a delight (especially compared to Bus 551 which I usually take). It took about 26 minutes to travel from Phayathai to the airport; and from there, about three minutes to get from the train level to the departure level.

I caught it home last night. The author of this article is a whiner:

* The airport link is directly connected to the airport terminal building on floor B1 with escalators to the top so that wussies don't have to 'heave' their excess luggage.

* The airport link station at Makkasan *is* connected to the BTS Phayathai station via a ramp. I assume a 30 metre walk won't kill people. The non-express train also connects to the subway at Petchaburi station. Its not like you are condemned to catching a taxi from Makassan.

* The airport link stations and trains look clean and tidy. They are comparable in appearance to the BTS system.

It was quite fast and for me about half the price of the equivalent taxi trip. And I didn't have to listen to the driver moan about the traffic.

• Like 1

Give me back Don Muang and a kao pat at The Cockpit.

Then the hassle-free, ten minutes' wait shuttle to anywhere you asked. Or the train for ten bahts for the adventurous.

that was last century.

I'll never use this thing; it sounds like commuting to work, not holidays. :(

I caught it home last night. The author of this article is a whiner:

* The airport link is directly connected to the airport terminal building on floor B1 with escalators to the top so that wussies don't have to 'heave' their excess luggage.

* The airport link station at Makkasan *is* connected to the BTS Phayathai station via a ramp. I assume a 30 metre walk won't kill people. The non-express train also connects to the subway at Petchaburi station. Its not like you are condemned to catching a taxi from Makassan.

* The airport link stations and trains look clean and tidy. They are comparable in appearance to the BTS system.

It was quite fast and for me about half the price of the equivalent taxi trip. And I didn't have to listen to the driver moan about the traffic.

It isn't actually Makkasan that is connected to Phaya Thai. Makkasan is 2 stations before Phaya Thai station.

Makkasan - where the express train stops (does the express train continue to Phaya Thai?) - connects to MRT Petchaburi (via a decent walk at the moment).

But the Airport Link *is* connected to BTS Phaya Thai via ramp.

Avoiding comments on corruption etc... (cause its boring)...

My observations on the new link are:-

The whole feel of the station/design and trains is cheap.

Yesterday wasn’t a hot day. I boarded at Phayathai and the link to the ARL (Airport Rail Link) is hassle free but I wasn’t carrying luggage. The Phayathai station is effectively enclosed and I would assume like a sauna on a hot day.

The platform isn’t wide enough (serious safety issue) to allow for safe disembarking and embarking (effectively at the same time).

A/C doesn’t work properly and I, along with my companions felt a little nauseated with the poor quality of the air on board the train.

The security guards don’t match the professionalism of MRT and BTS (judged on Thai standards).

The depths of the seats are roughly half that of the BTS, so your legs are left dangling. I’m a white guy but am of slim built. My Thai friends also notice that the seats were shallow.

When you arrive at the airport you need to use one of a limited number of lifts, so i would anticipate delays during the airports busy periods.

So in summary, if I am meeting friends/family at the airport, I will use the ARL, but if I have luggage I’ll stick to my taxi.

I am not surprise at all but we have to give them time to re think about all details ,after all similar problems happened when they opened the new airport. But who are to be blame for such silly details ? I guess the architects who didn't think about luggage for travelers ( that's a joke knowing this is an airport link) . After all its still better , faster to take a taxi to the city center. Who want to be stuck in traffic after flying so long ? :angry::angry:

"After all its still better, faster to take a taxi to the city center"

Umm, so let me understand this. The "Airport Link" is not connected to the actual airport so you need to find transportation there. You wait for a train for an uncertain amount of time due to delays and such. When you arrive at the "downtown" station, you have to take a taxi to your final destination. This whole time you are carrying your luggage around, being accosted by touts trying to sell you things, and in the BKK heat.

I'm with. However, I'd walk up to the departure area and jump in one of the cabs dropping passengers off. Beats waiting in line and the driver is much more appreciate when you give him an additional 50 bhat tip.

Im sure we all miss the old don meuang, always a pleasure using it - sigh :(

but then it was designed and built by flangs

cant see the service being much use to pattaya pervs . It would take an hour to reach ekamai then 2 1/2 hours bus ride (would morchit be better?)

so hop on the bell bus - not after 1800 - note you have to pre-book this or they wont let you on - go figure

or a taxi (opposite bell bus counter) - B2000 - 2500 haggle

always took a thai limo from don meuang B1500

i shall take the line of least hassle after 16 hours travel :jap: