Old Motorcycle Without Book, Big Problem?

tomloughney

The term that I used was "clown" regarding the cop not following instructions of his boss.

If we were instructed to do something or not to do something, and we did otherwise, we got crap for that.

The system often did not care if we did the "right" thing or the"correct" thing, we did what we were asked not to do and that caused a problem.

I comment was that if the cop had checked this same boy, without there being any instructions by the boss, I suspect this would never have become an issue. This guy should really understand the real situation of these young people and their bikes. But when this cop realized that he could be in trouble for ticketing this boy for the minor offense, raised the bar to cover his ass. I state that without that situation he would have let it all pass for 500 baht.

I do however agree very much with the aspect that the kid was an idiot in having the fake books, he was given the books by somebody who told him that they were good enough. Well that was wrong and the kid gets busted for that, which is being stupid. I do find it interesting that the ownership of the bike with no book is not an issue, but having a fraud book is a big issue shows me that it is not about having/riding/using/owning the bike it is about the "system" and the system is angry.

I do know that for about 60,000 to 100,000 baht you can get a book for a bike from Japan but the bike is worth say 100,000 and they sell it for 80,000 no book, if you want a book you pay 200,000 for the 100,000 bike. However it is not clear if you are getting a "legal" book, or just a book made for you by the government for a under the table fee. In which case the "book" is legal but the method used to get the book is not legal.

So is it better to drive without a book, bribe an official to make you a "legal" book that can not be had via legal methods, or to have "fake" book, which is not legal and really bad.

If I were Thai I would not get a book. That is the cheapest and simplest thing to do given the options.

And yes it would be better to get a book.

"The police had been instructed NOT to stop the old bikes but this clown did that, so to cover up his mistake he charged the kid(s) with theft and fraud"

So the police man actually did what he is paid for and caught some one in several criminal acts. eg: fraud (no plate is a different and lesser offence) no insurance, no tax (did he have a licence). false plate is fraud. And you call the police man a clown. when in fact its the 'young lad' who's the clown for trying it on.

PS. in Thailand you CAN get basic insurance even on unplated bikes. Also it is possible to get a green book IF a) you have money B) and you have all the paperwork in order.

The GF explained further. The boy when stopped had a fraudulent book and fake plates, no tax and no insurance. The police had been instructed NOT to stop the old bikes but this clown did that, so to cover up his mistake he charged the kid(s) with theft and fraud. The charges were reduced the next day by a junior officer, but it still needs to proceed to the court. They claim that by giving them cash under the table, 2 thousand so far, they will conclude this quickly.

Makes much more sense as to how this is a bigger problem.

If you get stopped for not having a book, then it is a 400 baht fine and they just let you go as it is not possible to get a new book in Thailand. With so many incorrectly registered the police would have a riot on their hands if they took all of them. If they take them what do they do, I guess sell them without a book.

That is the story so far...but TIT and it can change quickly

Nither of those are true.. Being stopped without a book can be far more than a 400 baht fine (loss of expensive bike springs to mind) and of course new books can be made, might be very expensive but people register bikes all the time.

"We then find out that the governor of Chonburi had told the police NOT to check the paperwork as many of these bikes have problems. The case is then transferred to a Junior officer, who re-writes the charge for some small charge. Thus covering the ass of the idiot who did not read the announcement about leaving the kids alone......

<deleted> is going on?

So the GF panics again, asked me to use a property deed to do the guarantee"

What's going on is that you're being misinformed - why and by whom is another matter.

It is well known that many of those attending these meetings or similar runs will be driving bikes which are highly modified and/or unlicenced and it has long been "understood" that as long as they are travelling in a group the BiB will turn a blind eye to a lot of these infractions. The idea that the Governor personally told the police NOT to check the paperwork as many of these bikes have problems for this particular event is simply fanciful.

There is, at least officially (so there is no "paperwork" for it), no such thing as a "guarantor" for anyone charged with an offence to be released - the only guarantee is cash/property as bail; there is also no reason why anyone putting up the bail (the "guarantor"?) would be required to go to court with the offender when the case is heard unless it was as a character witness for the offender, at their request.

If you are going to "drop by" your lawyer he should be able to find out exactly what the charges are and what appened with a phone call; without that there is little point in further speculation, as the options are pretty wide open.

"We then find out that the governor of Chonburi had told the police NOT to check the paperwork as many of these bikes have problems. The case is then transferred to a Junior officer, who re-writes the charge for some small charge. Thus covering the ass of the idiot who did not read the announcement about leaving the kids alone......

<deleted> is going on?

So the GF panics again, asked me to use a property deed to do the guarantee"

What's going on is that you're being misinformed - why and by whom is another matter.

It is well known that many of those attending these meetings or similar runs will be driving bikes which are highly modified and/or unlicenced and it has long been "understood" that as long as they are travelling in a group the BiB will turn a blind eye to a lot of these infractions. The idea that the Governor personally told the police NOT to check the paperwork as many of these bikes have problems for this particular event is simply fanciful.

There is, at least officially (so there is no "paperwork" for it), no such thing as a "guarantor" for anyone charged with an offence to be released - the only guarantee is cash/property as bail; there is also no reason why anyone putting up the bail (the "guarantor"?) would be required to go to court with the offender when the case is heard unless it was as a character witness for the offender, at their request.

If you are going to "drop by" your lawyer he should be able to find out exactly what the charges are and what appened with a phone call; without that there is little point in further speculation, as the options are pretty wide open.

I had to read to the end of this thread to find a post with some reason here, thanks John. What made me wonder was also that the teacher from Isaan "needed" THB 5,000.

Anyway.

While a parent will always help their kids, even if they are over 20 years old, a parent would probably not let their kids ride an unlicenced and uninsured vehicle, especially one that they have assembled themselves and there is no guarantee that it is streetworthy. The cop did the right thing by applying the law and pulling the vehicle and the driver off the road. The amount of the fine and the jail threat don't seem to be congruent with the "crime" reported, though.

By the way, vehicles that don't have a book have to pass inspection at TISI (Thai Industrial Standards Institute) and then ask them or the local Department of Transport (where you register vehicles) how to proceed.

Just my two cents.

• 3 months later...