Warning For Cat Cdma

Isaanben

Hi. I bought a usb-modem from CAT CDMA in february this year and it worked without any problem until the beginning of August. Then it said "PUFF" and the modem did not work any more. So I went to their shop here in Kalasin and they said they had to send it to Bangkok to have it fixed. They said it would take about one month. Long time, I thought, but it should get worse...

After one month they said if you are "unlucky" it could take two months, or maybe even a little longer longer. Tomorrow it will be 13 weeks, three months, since I left it there, and still not fixed! Really very frustrating!

Any one else had this experience?

Ben

What operating system are you using? Did you try the modem in another computer before it went for repairs? Did you check if the modem is recognized by your computer in the device manager?

I had a problem with the modem a short time ago. It would not work in my Vista Home 32 bit computer, yet it worked fine in my Windows 7 64 bit computer.

I took it and my Vista computer into the CAT CDMA main office in Chiang Mai. They made it work and said there was a problem with Vista Home working with MobilLink. They made it work by just adding a dial up connection through that modem. That connection has worked fine, then MobilLink just started working again. I have no idea why.

MSPain

Sorry for your problem, I think that you must of had one assembled on Friday the 13th. :blink:

I have three of them (one was from when they first sold them) and I have had no problems. My next door neighbour has two - again no problems. I think that your best bet is to follow the advice of posts #2 and #3. Also, you might want to ask them to suspend payment of the monthly charge. Good luck :whistling:

In general whenever I've had some electronic item repaired, especially when it is still under warranty, it took about three times as long as whatever initial repair time I was given. Specifically the items I'm talking about is a Samsung cell phone, a Philips CD/Radio, and a satellite TV KU-band settop box. My longest time for repair was 2 months on an initial repair estimate of 10 days. And there is always sad stories/excuses from the repair shop when asking, "Is it fixed yet?...Why the delay?"

Hello again and thank you all and sorry for the delay but now I have 8 km to nearest interbet place and I dont sit there all day...

It is a Ovation MC 760 modem. They checked it when I was to the shop the first time and saw it did not work. I thought it said "cannot detect device".

I was there again today and now they said I could lend one but they did not have any today, next week...

So I still have to go 8 km because mine was still not fixed :angry: .

Ben

Hello again and thank you all and sorry for the delay but now I have 8 km to nearest interbet place and I dont sit there all day...

It is a Ovation MC 760 modem. They checked it when I was to the shop the first time and saw it did not work. I thought it said "cannot detect device".

I was there again today and now they said I could lend one but they did not have any today, next week...

So I still have to go 8 km because mine was still not fixed :angry: .

Ben

Hi Ben , Please Let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Screenshot2010-11-04at53608PM.jpg

TL :D

• 2 weeks later...

It really pisses me off that CAT succeeded in blocking the auction for the 3G licences when they are unable to meet the supply of the current market.

I am stuck with a very slow AIS EDGE connection at the moment because CAT do not have any MC760 dongles.

I started with an MC727 and when that packed up after a few months, it took 6 months before I received a replacement. Luckily I was given a loaner while mine was sent away for repair.

I don't believe that they ever repair them anyway as I have received a new replacement. They only cost peanuts to manufacture and I doubt that it is cost effective to actually repair them. I think that in the US you can get a years connection and free modem for the same cost of buying the modem here. In the UK the chinese dongles cost as little as 750 Baht!

I received a replacement for my faulty MC727 which didn't work and then eventually was given a new MC760 as the 727's were obsolete.CAT seemed to have a lot of difficulty in activating the new modem.I had to buy a new connecting lead (Co-ax to modem) as well.

This MC760 packed up on the last day of the year guarantee and I took it back to the CAT office in Khon Kaen. At that time they didn't have a loaner available. A few weeks later they lent me the tatty MC727 again.In order to lend me the modem, I had to buy yet another connecting lead despite having bought a new one recently. No, they said, that lead is for the 760, you have to buy a new one for the 727. Boolsht, They are exactly the same connectors!

After 3 months they telephoned to say that they had the replacement.

They called on a Monday, late afternoon and so I thought that I would go into the office when I went into Khon Kaen later in the week.

Amazingly, they called again on the Wednesday morning and threatened to call the police if I didn't return their modem to them !!??

Now I had in my possession their tatty old 727 and they had my brand new replacement 760 and they're going to tell the police that I have stolen theirs??

After it took about 2 weeks for them to activate, the new modem would work sometimes and sometimes I would just get "Searching for signal"

Back to the office with the laptop and pointed this out. This <deleted> idiot engineer just tried to tell me that I needed to buy yet another connecting lead! I need the connecting lead at home because I have to use an antenna, but at the CAT office the signal is strong. <deleted> would I need a connecting lead for? The prices for these leads are 600, 850 or 1000 Baht depending on the day of the week or the moon or something. Obviously a nice little earner for something that should only cost about 200 Baht.

I took the laptop and parked right next to the tower and it just showed a very low signal.

Yet another new replacement that was faulty!

After about a week, I could get register signal at all and impossible to connect.

CAT refused to replace it as it was now out of warranty.

Having no choice, I said that I would buy a new one.

The famous Thai reply "No have"

"How long will it take to get another one in?"

"1 month"

2 months later and it will still be another month!

They have the MiFi and other modems, but apparently the MC760 is the only Modem that they stock ( or rather don't) that has an antenna connector.

Surely a lot of CAT's customers use CDMA because they are unable to get a phoneline and need to use an antenna to connect? Why can't they get their act together and keep a stock enough to meet demand? (stupid question, have I forgotten where I am?)

I have read somewhere that TOT had set up some sort of CDMA service using CAT's network and I'm tempted to check them out. But I've had dealings with TOT and their wonderful satellite internet and shudder at the thought of dealing with them again.

4am now and it takes minutes to load a page (if/when they load) with this piss poor edge connection.

I may not be exactly enamored with CAT and their customer service, but it is the best option available to me. If only I could get a modem.

Loong, have you tried another office, maybe you might get better service and they may have a 760 in stock..

totster :D

Hi Tots,

telephoned them today and they said that the new modems will arrive next week. That makes a change from the usual month!

I've got my fingers crossed, but if it doesn't arrive, I will put out a plea here in the hope that someone knows where I can get one.

There is another thread somewhere here where it does seem that nowhere in Thailand does a CAT office have an MC760 in stock. That originated from someone in Kalasin if I remember right

I just dread the problems involved in buying a modem in a different area and then getting any sort of service from the Khon Kaen office. Jeez C it takes them 2 weeks to change accounts from one dongle to another.

I just hope that the promise of one week comes through, but I won't be holding my breath :)

Loong, have you tried another office, maybe you might get better service and they may have a 760 in stock..

Hi Tots,

telephoned them today and they said that the new modems will arrive next week. That makes a change from the usual month!

I've got my fingers crossed, but if it doesn't arrive, I will put out a plea here in the hope that someone knows where I can get one.

There is another thread somewhere here where it does seem that nowhere in Thailand does a CAT office have an MC760 in stock. That originated from someone in Kalasin if I remember right

I just dread the problems involved in buying a modem in a different area and then getting any sort of service from the Khon Kaen office. Jeez C it takes them 2 weeks to change accounts from one dongle to another.

I just hope that the promise of one week comes through, but I won't be holding my breath :)

loong , I'm sorry to hear about the problems and pain you are going through , and it makes me wince and shudder at the thought of having to replace my current MC 727 , which ive been using for about Two years now , I have not looked at the current CAT CDMA web site for a while , so I just had a look ..

Screenshot2010-11-15at82445PM.jpg

The VW 140 .....⬇

Screenshot2010-11-15at83122PM.jpg

Does seem to have an external antenna connection .

Screenshot2010-11-15at84657PM.jpg

Screenshot2010-11-15at84940PM.jpg

The EC 150 ...⬇

Screenshot2010-11-15at90211PM.jpg

Screenshot2010-11-15at90230PM.jpg

although it does not say any thing on the CAT web page about an external antenna connection , on another Thai suppliers web page it shows this ..⬇

Screenshot2010-11-15at85858PM.jpg

Screenshot2010-11-15at82542PM.jpg

Link to the Web Site ....

another Thai web site and an antenna connection for the EC 150 ⬇

Screenshot2010-11-15at100700PM.jpg

so there's a ''possibility'' the EC 150 can be connected to an external antenna .( Not 100% sure )

In the above web site the MC 760 is no longer stocked , but is shown on the current CAT Web page ....⬇

Screenshot2010-11-15at91619PM.jpg

Screenshot2010-11-15at91638PM.jpg

Tomorrow I am going to call the manageress of my local CAT office and see what they stock, and I will post back result , Ive seen several MC 760's for sale on

different overseas web sites , so I wonder how some one would stand if they bought there own MC 760 and asked CAT to subscribe it to their network.

MC 760 For Sale .......Here

MC 760 For Sale ........Here

the above info is just a quick thing ive put together and not had much time to fully research it yet :rolleyes:

TL :jap:

BCL,

you don't have to be Thai to be able to use a telephone ;)

I admit that I don't like to use the telephone as it makes any discussion very difficult. Face to face is much easier.

Thanks Thailife,

I will look into what you have discovered.

I only remember seeing the MiFi modem last time I was in the office, so it may be that they have nothing else in stock.

I suppose that it was a bit silly of me to actually believe them when they told me that the MC760 was the only modem that had the external antenna connection.

I suppose that it was a bit silly of me to actually believe them when they told me that the MC760 was the only modem that had the external antenna connection.

Not really.. just because it is being advertised it does not mean they them available to sell, or in stock for that matter :rolleyes:

Not really.. just because it is being advertised it does not mean they them available to sell, or in stock for that matter :rolleyes:

Yes, when they changed from the MC727 to 760 they were quite a while without any modems.

Useless business sense. No wonder they try to hold on to their almost monopoly.

Yes, when they changed from the MC727 to 760 they were quite a while without any modems.

Well I called the local CAT office and this is the current situation there

VW140 in stock

EC 150 out of stock ( should be in stock next Month )

MC 760 ( not stocking any more )

MC 727 ( not stocking any more )

I have found one new MC727 for sale in a Thai shop for 4,500 Baht, but I forgot to ask the CAT office if you can supply your own modem and get CAT to register it on there system.

one comment the local CAT office made was may be other CAT offices could still have stock of the MC 760 & MC 727 modems

fighting_67.gifScreenshot2010-11-16at32437PM.jpg

Thanks Thailife,

you're a star.

I will follow up about the VW140.

This is a new addition and it may be possible that they may have these in stock now.

I will let you know

I suppose it's quite possible they are not waiting for MC760's at your local office, but rather this new model. Let me know if you have no luck, i'll check here at the Kalasin office, it may save a wait.

Ive done a google on this VW140 model ..

Screenshot2010-11-15at83122PM.jpg

and can't find much factual technical info at all or even where its made , would be nice to hear from any one using it

ive found several private Thai web sites showing CDMA usb modems for sale and emailed them all , Two replys back so far ..

Vw 140 price 3500 Bath. u can add External antenna

ec 150 price 2400 bath.

ec 122 modify 2750 bath. u can add External antenna

MC727 4500 Baht ( second hand )

MC760 out of stock

still not sure what would happen if you purchased your own CDMA usb modem here in Thailand ( not from CAT )

Thanks Thailife,

you're a star.

I will follow up about the VW140.

This is a new addition and it may be possible that they may have these in stock now.

I will let you know

I suppose it's quite possible they are not waiting for MC760's at your local office, but rather this new model. Let me know if you have no luck, i'll check here at the Kalasin office, it may save a wait.

Thanks Tots,

On the phone, they had no idea what a VW140 is. That is possibly because there is no V sound in the Thai language. Also W is not pronounced doubleyou.

They say that the Kalasin office gets their stock from Khon Kaen and so will not have anything that the KK office doesn't.

They now say that they will have a new modem tomorrow (Thursday), so fingers crossed.

Update,

I couldn't get to the CAT office yesterday as my stepdaughter was sick and off school.

I went today and yes, they had the VW140 in stock.

One drawback, my connector lead for the external antenna doesn't fit and CAT don't have any. They did give me the telephone number of a place that I should be able to get one.

So I paid the 3,500 baht plus 99 Baht for the SIM card and brought it home with some trepidation knowing that I wouldn't be able to connect my antenna.

Well, it seems that the extending antenna does a much better job than the MC727 or 760. I am able to use it without the external antenna. It's not fast, but much better than the EDGE connection that I've been using.

Strangely, the slowest pages to load are ThaiVisa's

I've done some speedtests just for a laugh :) , I couldn't manage that with EDGE.

I know that they are pretty pathetic, but if/when I can sort out the connector, I'll expect a big improvement.

So a cheaper modem and straight out of the box it is usable here without an external antenna.

Isaan Ben, if you haven't received your replacement or repaired 760 I expect that they will replace it with a new one. If they give you a VW140 as a replacement, I wonder if they will also refund the difference in price :whistling:

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and checking things out for me, you're a great bunch

Cheers

Loong

post-12326-0-68983800-1290156371_thumb.j

Update,

I couldn't get to the CAT office yesterday as my stepdaughter was sick and off school.

One drawback, my connector lead for the external antenna doesn't fit and CAT don't have any. They did give me the telephone number of a place that I should be able to get one.

So I paid the 3,500 baht plus 99 Baht for the SIM card and brought it home with some trepidation knowing that I wouldn't be able to connect my antenna.

Well, it seems that the extending antenna does a much better job than the MC727 or 760. I am able to use it without the external antenna. It's not fast, but much better than the EDGE connection that I've been using.

I've done some speedtests just for a laugh :) , I couldn't manage that with EDGE.

I know that they are pretty pathetic, but if/when I can sort out the connector, I'll expect a big improvement.

So a cheaper modem and straight out of the box it is usable here without an external antenna.

Isaan Ben, if you haven't received your replacement or repaired 760 I expect that they will replace it with a new one. If they give you a VW140 as a replacement, I wonder if they will also refund the difference in price :whistling:

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and checking things out for me, you're a great bunch

Cheers

Loong

Those are EDGE speeds and not good ones at that. Perhaps it was GPRS before. I get double that using DTAC/HAPPY EDGE. Don't have any experience upcountry. It's ridiculous that you are paying so much for such a low standard of service.

Update,

Cheers

Loong

Hi, It will be interesting to see what improvement is made when you connect your external antenna, please let us know how you get on in finding

a '' pig tail '' connection lead , does it give any indication on the VW140 box who the manufacture is or more details ?

CAT is good when it comes to their technology - network reliable, engineers seem to know what they're doing.

Their problem is on the business side. Totally unorganized for customer service- they're trying but they just don't know how it works. And they're simply incapable of marketing or releasing products.

I once went to the CAT office to ask about DSL. This is the big office in Central Airport. You would never guess the answer... you couldn't make this up, really. "We don't have any promotion currently, we're waiting for new promotion from Bangkok. Sorry!". So there was a period where they would just not be able to sell you a DSL package. Whoops!

Then there was the CDMA service which was operational for about 1 year before they started to make any attempt at marketing. I saw a tiny little poster at the post office in Pai. This prompted me to go to the CAT head office in Chiang Mai and ask - and guess what they were offering CDMA, except they hadn't told anyone. I was the only customer there, and one of the bosses gave me the tour of the building.