2011 Kawasaki Versys Has Arrived In Thailand!

BigBikeBKK

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another glowing review of the Kawsaki Versys in Motorcycle Sport and Leisure Magazine-

http://www.mslmagazi...kawasaki-versys

Ride On!

Tony

KhaoKho39.jpg

Wow, the bars are tall on that VE'r'SYS ;)

And nobody tries to pretend the Versys is a sport bike (even though it rips at the track).

Compare that to the low-revving underpowered 250 eco-thumper from Honda all dressed up in sport bike plastics with a misleading "CBR" sticker on it... :rolleyes:

Yet another glowing review of the Kawsaki Versys in Motorcycle Sport and Leisure Magazine-

http://www.mslmagazi...kawasaki-versys

Ride On!

Tony

KhaoKho39.jpg

Wow, the bars are tall on that VE'r'SYS ;)

And nobody tries to pretend the Versys is a sport bike (even though it rips at the track).

Compare that to the low-revving underpowered 250 eco-thumper from Honda all dressed up in sport bike plastics with a misleading "CBR" sticker on it... :rolleyes:

Oh, and I want to add that I think calling the ER6f a "Ninja" is just as misleading as calling this new Honda thumper a "CBR".

The ZX6R is a REAL Ninja and the old CBR 250RR is a REAL CBR.

The Ninja 650R is an ER6n in sport bike plastics but it's no ZX6R. The new CB"r" 250 is an eco-thumper dressed up to look a bit like a sport bike, but it's certainly no CBR 250 RR.

I bought a Givi E55 and baseplate for $360 here in the US.

It's 23500 baht at Thaimotorbox

Other things to consider that aren't available in Thailand or are cheaper.

A123 type battery

Airhawk seat pad

Good riding gear like Motoport

Helmet selection

Gear indicator

Garmin Zumos

I was thinking of a rear trunk and side saddlebags - would the dealers here have that for the Versys and would it be comparably priced to the US? And little things like a brake lock/alarm (might be able to get a better one in the US - more selection??), BMW tubeless tire plugger, wax, repair kit, side guards, cigarette adapter, a tank bag.

Anything else I'm missing to outfit a versys?

I'm not sure what makes sense to buy original or aftermarket to be honest as this is my first bike (other than a scooter) in about 15 years; although I rented a versys in thailand for 3 days.

Generally speaking many of the items you've listed can be found cheaper (sometimes a LOT cheaper) in the US. But depending on what airline you fly I'm guessing you'll be well over the baggage allowance if you try to check in all the items you've listed and you may be surprised at how high the excess baggage fees can be... Sometimes it's cheaper to mail things from the US to Thailand via USPS than to pay the exorbitant excess baggage fees that many airlines like to charge these days. Just a thought :jap:

These items can be purchased in Thailand for not a lot of money: tubeless tire plugger, wax, repair kit, side guards, cigarette adapter, a tank bag.

Here's something you should perhaps add to your list: BRAKE PADS.

I'm quite fond of EBC and they are WAY cheaper in the US than from any retailer here in Thailand.

You haven't mentioned anything about riding gear- if you don't already have a good helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, etc you can find a much wider selection at much lower prices in the US.

Ride On!

Tony

A123 type battery

Airhawk seat pad

Helmet selection

Gear indicator

Garmin Zumos

On the versys forum, people are recommending replacing the brake lines: http://www.kawasakiv...read.php?t=1880 With these or maybe these made slightly longer http://www.bluestrea...galfer_kaw.html + EBC HH pads. as BBBKK says, the pads are better bought in the US - what about the lines or is this really needed?

I'm thinking the saddle bags and rear case are too much to bring and i've been lazy and was thinking of just getting the tank bag at the dealer in BKK - will I be sorry?

I was thinking of a rear trunk and side saddlebags - would the dealers here have that for the Versys and would it be comparably priced to the US? And little things like a brake lock/alarm (might be able to get a better one in the US - more selection??), BMW tubeless tire plugger, wax, repair kit, side guards, cigarette adapter, a tank bag.

Anything else I'm missing to outfit a versys?

I'm not sure what makes sense to buy original or aftermarket to be honest as this is my first bike (other than a scooter) in about 15 years; although I rented a versys in thailand for 3 days.

Generally speaking many of the items you've listed can be found cheaper (sometimes a LOT cheaper) in the US. But depending on what airline you fly I'm guessing you'll be well over the baggage allowance if you try to check in all the items you've listed and you may be surprised at how high the excess baggage fees can be... Sometimes it's cheaper to mail things from the US to Thailand via USPS than to pay the exorbitant excess baggage fees that many airlines like to charge these days. Just a thought :jap:

These items can be purchased in Thailand for not a lot of money: tubeless tire plugger, wax, repair kit, side guards, cigarette adapter, a tank bag.

Here's something you should perhaps add to your list: BRAKE PADS.

I'm quite fond of EBC and they are WAY cheaper in the US than from any retailer here in Thailand.

You haven't mentioned anything about riding gear- if you don't already have a good helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, etc you can find a much wider selection at much lower prices in the US.

Ride On!

Tony

A123 type battery

Airhawk seat pad

Helmet selection

Gear indicator

Garmin Zumos

On the versys forum, people are recommending replacing the brake lines: http://www.kawasakiv...read.php?t=1880 With these or maybe these made slightly longer http://www.bluestrea...galfer_kaw.html + EBC HH pads. as BBBKK says, the pads are better bought in the US - what about the lines or is this really needed?

I'm thinking the saddle bags and rear case are too much to bring and i've been lazy and was thinking of just getting the tank bag at the dealer in BKK - will I be sorry?

Try riding with your stock pads and then switch to EBC Sintered HH pads- you'll be amazed at the difference! EBC pads are quite expensive in Thailand. Recommend you bring over a couple sets. Steel lines also improve brake feel and power. Are they "needed"... well, that's a question only you can answer. I really don't believe one brand is any better than the next. Easy to find HELL brand here in Thailand. Dirt Shop does custom installs of HELL steel lines for not a lot of money. I'd guesstimate around 4000-5000 Baht for front and rear on the Versys.

Plenty of tank bags and soft panniers available here in Bangkok at shops such as Panda Rider, Paddock, Dirt Shop, etc but again you can find a wider selection at lower prices from the big online shops in the US.

Ride On!

Tony

Yoall,

There is a buzz coming from my Versys dash :annoyed: . On the net I can only find poeple with the same problem that ride the older model Versys.

Anybody who bought their Versys in LOS (latest model) has the same problem? Did you fix it?

Cheerio,

nick

Mine has a buzz too. It's not very loud, but it's there... I don't know where exactly it comes from ... didn't fix it; let me know if you find out what's caused yours...

I got rid of the buzz. I believe the pictures do not need text.

post-81813-0-48870200-1308648409_thumb.j

post-81813-0-56590900-1308648420_thumb.j

post-81813-0-46320600-1308648437_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Been keeping my eye out for a used Versys but they are as rare as chickens teeth, must be good bikes as none for sale! But finally saw one today and wondered what folk think a fair price would be for a 6mnth old with 2200kms? No mods apart from engine protector and touring windscreen.

Thanks

My new versys , green color , from Big Bike Shop KORAT>>>>

perfext bike, im very happy with this purchase...

greenkawabird

Congrats!

Have any pictures of your Green Versys?

Maybe you got this one?

Green2011VersysSSR.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Fantastic day at BoDin trying out the Versys with new Pirelli MT60 RS Corsa's-

July7VersysBoDin2SSR.jpg

I set the suspension to softest setting front and rear and lowered the pressure on the tires to about 28psi and wow, the big girl handled quite well!

July7VersysBoDin3SSR.jpg

Silly me- brought the GoPro to get some video and only discovered once I was there that I forgot the memory card! Doh! :rolleyes:

July7VersysBoDin1SSR.jpg

Very happy with these new tires!

July7VersysBoDinSSR.jpg

BoDinMap.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

Love this bike!

Two days ago I was playing in dirt-

July7VersysBoDinSSR.jpg

Yesterday cleaned off all the mud, changed to Diablo Supercorsas, dialed in the suspension and today hit the track!

Versatile system indeed! icon_mrgreen.gif

July9ThailandCircuitVersysSSR.jpg

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Edited by BigBikeBKK

My new versys , green color , from Big Bike Shop KORAT>>>>

perfext bike, im very happy with this purchase...

greenkawabird

Congrats!

Have any pictures of your Green Versys?

Maybe you got this one?

Green2011VersysSSR.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hmmm green... I like green a lot. This one needs the black side parts from the black Versys, and maybe a green tank, then it would be perfect... still undecided on coloring but one thing's for sure the black is as nice as it's impossible to keep clean.

BTW I don't recommend the Hyperpro springs - I can't get them to perform the way I'd like them to perform. They're fine now but not really an improvement over stock. IMO.

Yesterday cleaned off all the mud, changed to Diablo Supercorsas, dialed in the suspension and today hit the track!

Let the Good Times ROLL!

Tony

Where's the knee-down pic on the Versinator? :)

Ask and ye shall receive :lol:

Peg down in a couple spots as well ;)

Woohoo!

Woohoo!

+1 5555 excellent!!

I keep scraping my shoes since I installed the Pirelli Supercorsas - these tires provide so much grip that the bike just feels totally stable and safe at any lean angle.

How does she handle on the track compared to your racing ER-6n?

My impression after nearly 1 year road riding both bikes is that the Versys is much easier and forgiving to ride thanks to the low end torque, but the ER-6n is much faster thanks to the extra HP. More bite. But then, never had either on the track...

Woohoo!

+1 5555 excellent!!

I keep scraping my shoes since I installed the Pirelli Supercorsas - these tires provide so much grip that the bike just feels totally stable and safe at any lean angle.

How does she handle on the track compared to your racing ER-6n?

My impression after nearly 1 year road riding both bikes is that the Versys is much easier and forgiving to ride thanks to the low end torque, but the ER-6n is much faster thanks to the extra HP. More bite. But then, never had either on the track...

Cheers Nikster,

I was running Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa at the track as well and indeed they are fantastic tires!

It took me a while to get used the the Versys' very high bars on the track and the footpegs were touching down before I could lean all the way to the edge of the tires, but all in all I was happy with how easy the bike was to ride on the track. I dialed front preload up nearly as high as it would go. (One turn out from max) and did the same with the rear pre-load. (One step below max).

Graham was there with his ER6n track and he was passing me quite easily down the straights as the street spec Versys is down on power and at least 30Kg heavier than his track prepped ER6n.

I think if someone wanted to turn a Versys into a track bike it wouldn't be hard to do. Strip it, drop the front, get some rearsets as the stockers give you no cornering clearance, replace stock bar with clip ons and you'd be ready to hit the track. Tinker with the tuning and fueling and replace stock cams with EX650 and the Versys should be able to generate the same Hp as an ER6.

Ride On!

Tony

Anyone done any accurate testing of the speeo? My CBR was always about 8-9% optimistic according to my GPS but did a quick test on the Versys and it seems to be pretty much spot on, isn't that unusual with bikes these days? I thought all manufacturers speedo readings were 5-10 optimistic to try and reduce speeding offences.

Anyone done any accurate testing of the speeo? My CBR was always about 8-9% optimistic according to my GPS but did a quick test on the Versys and it seems to be pretty much spot on, isn't that unusual with bikes these days? I thought all manufacturers speedo readings were 5-10 optimistic to try and reduce speeding offences.

All the Kawasakis I've owned in Thailand were ~8-10% optimistic but I've not yet checked my Versys speedo against GPS...

All the Kawasakis I've owned in Thailand were ~8-10% optimistic but I've not yet checked my Versys speedo against GPS...

Seems it might be a bit optimistic after all according to this http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1523.html but on a short trip on Sunday the top speed according to my GPS was the same as I observed on the speedo, something that never happened on my CBR.

Look what I found at the CM Kawa dealer - a green 2011 Versys! I was excited but turns out it's just after market paint they now offer direct from the dealership. The have sun yellow (popular 2010 color in Europe), lime green, and white (in addition to the stock black and red). Cost approx. 5k baht, which seems steep.

post-20814-0-41153100-1311041225_thumb.j

Seems it might be a bit optimistic after all according to this http://www.kawasakiv...php/t-1523.html but on a short trip on Sunday the top speed according to my GPS was the same as I observed on the speedo, something that never happened on my CBR.

Did another two comparisons between speedo and GPS and they were again only about 1kph different, seems the Versys' speedo actually runs true :)