New Car Market For Thailand In 2011 And Beyond

MRO re the minor change for the Fortuner - any word on roughly when/what changes are likely? I see that recent minor changes included an increase of B10,000 to the line-up and the addition of cruise control to the Sportivo. I'm surprised that they haven't added cruise to more of the models and still haven't addressed the lack of auxilliary inputs on the standard audio system or the AT Navi's system. BTW, any ideas on whether a rear screen can be ordered for the AT navi model/cost?

No real details on the Vigo/Fortuner minor change yet, only a drunken admission that one is coming, then a realization of what was let slip and "the brick wall of silence" after that :annoyed:

Will update when more info comes to light.

Last roof screen I bought cost 4K Baht for an 11" Zulex 16:9 - best/cheapest option for this is a car audio shop, not the dealer as they'll just outsource to a shop and mark it up (as is the case with all non-factory options you might want).

MRO - any further update on the Fortuner?

I hope to be getting one soon, and don't want to buy a lemon...... (looking at the 3.0 d4d 2WD).

Thanks

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a new model for 'transam' not sure if it will find is way to Thailand

Ferrari’s new FF is unquestionably the most practical and versatile Ferrari yet. Four-seats, four wheel drive and the carrying capacity of a “shooting brake”

post-42643-0-54962200-1296433789_thumb.j

MRO re the minor change for the Fortuner - any word on roughly when/what changes are likely? I see that recent minor changes included an increase of B10,000 to the line-up and the addition of cruise control to the Sportivo. I'm surprised that they haven't added cruise to more of the models and still haven't addressed the lack of auxilliary inputs on the standard audio system or the AT Navi's system. BTW, any ideas on whether a rear screen can be ordered for the AT navi model/cost?

No real details on the Vigo/Fortuner minor change yet, only a drunken admission that one is coming, then a realization of what was let slip and "the brick wall of silence" after that :annoyed:

Last roof screen I bought cost 4K Baht for an 11" Zulex 16:9 - best/cheapest option for this is a car audio shop, not the dealer as they'll just outsource to a shop and mark it up (as is the case with all non-factory options you might want).

I hope to be getting one soon, and don't want to buy a lemon...... (looking at the 3.0 d4d 2WD).

Thanks

Interesting, Corkman. May I suggest you have a long hard look at the Pajero Sport range? I had been semi-locked into buying a Fortuner up until a couple of weeks ago, but the PS with its gutsy new 2.5 donk has won me over. Other advantages - comparatively good specs, fully fold away rear seat and (for the 4WD) not permanently locked into AWD.

Thanks

Interesting, Corkman. May I suggest you have a long hard look at the Pajero Sport range? I had been semi-locked into buying a Fortuner up until a couple of weeks ago, but the PS with its gutsy new 2.5 donk has won me over. Other advantages - comparatively good specs, fully fold away rear seat and (for the 4WD) not permanently locked into AWD.

Fortuners full time 4x4 is more expensive and advanced than a partial 4x4, and most would consider it better in all conditions except extreme off road driving. It is not an AWD, its a full time 4x4.

Fortuners full time 4x4 is more expensive and advanced than a partial 4x4, and most would consider it better in all conditions except extreme off road driving. It is not an AWD, its a full time 4x4.

Not sure if I'm reading your post out of context, but Pajero Sport 4WD system is both more expensive and more versatile than that of Fortuner. Current model Fortuner's full-time 4X4 system is definitely more advanced/expensive than the older Fortuner's "Smart" 4x4 system though.

Current-model Fortuner's full-time 4x4 is identical to the 4H mode on the Pajero Sport (both using viscous couplings for power transfer and suitable for full-time use), however Pajero Sport also offers 2H (RWD), and 4HLc/4LLc modes (locked transfer case and high/low gearing for more extreme situations). Though I doubt too many owners would use the latter two modes - you'd have to be a serious off-roader or caught in a really bad spot to have a need for them ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Thanks

Most talk is about the Hilux, not Fortuner, but a nano-change is expected soon - which most likely means a new Sportivo, Aperto or other special model along those lines. I wouldn't expect any changes to the regular G and V badges at that time though.

The big change for Hilux/Fortuner is expected sometime between August and November this year. Although only a minor change (the platform remains the same 7-year old IMV1), there will be some big changes to the sheetmetal to give them a new, refreshed look. Rumor has it the hood, fenders and front bumpers will be all-new pressings, and the engines will also get a particulate filter in order to comply with 2012's Euro IV regulations.

Not sure if I'm reading your post out of context, but Pajero Sport 4WD system is both more expensive and more versatile than that of Fortuner. Current model Fortuner's full-time 4X4 system is definitely more advanced/expensive than the older Fortuner's "Smart" 4x4 system though.

Current-model Fortuner's full-time 4x4 is identical to the 4H mode on the Pajero Sport (both using viscous couplings for power transfer and suitable for full-time use), however Pajero Sport also offers 2H (RWD), and 4HLc/4LLc modes (locked transfer case and high/low gearing for more extreme situations). Though I doubt too many owners would use the latter two modes - you'd have to be a serious off-roader or caught in a really bad spot to have a need for them ;)

Sorry, thought this Pajero set up was available in OZ only, not in LOS

Thanks

Most talk is about the Hilux, not Fortuner, but a nano-change is expected soon - which most likely means a new Sportivo, Aperto or other special model along those lines. I wouldn't expect any changes to the regular G and V badges at that time though.

The big change for Hilux/Fortuner is expected sometime between August and November this year. Although only a minor change (the platform remains the same 7-year old IMV1), there will be some big changes to the sheetmetal to give them a new, refreshed look. Rumor has it the hood, fenders and front bumpers will be all-new pressings, and the engines will also get a particulate filter in order to comply with 2012's Euro IV regulations.

Thanks MRO - I'm a bit undecided now then, whether to buy now or wait!

If I wait then its gonna be a year before I get the car..... and since I am renting at the moment then the 170k+ plus that I would otherwise spend / waste on rent is a big incentive......

If I wait then its gonna be a year before I get the car..... and since I am renting at the moment then the 170k+ plus that I would otherwise spend / waste on rent is a big incentive......

That rent factor alone would be enough to make me want to buy now rather than wait - the small amount you'd stand to lose on resale for having an "older" model vs. waiting for the minor change, and the earlier uptake of maintenance expenses won't ever get anywhere near to the amount you stand to lose by renting while you wait...

Also the "new" model is just a cosmetic change - engines remain the same, features will remain the same, interior design remains the same etc. The only real items of note changing are front-end styling, the price (you can almost guarantee it'll climb), and the particulate filter which adds a new service item (and another emissions control that will slowly degrade performace) to the car... It's still the same basic car.

Also, don't forget that buying a new Fortuner means waiting in a queue anyway, so the sooner you book, the better ;)

That rent factor alone would be enough to make me want to buy now rather than wait - the small amount you'd stand to lose on resale for having an "older" model vs. waiting for the minor change, and the earlier uptake of maintenance expenses won't ever get anywhere near to the amount you stand to lose by renting while you wait...

Also the "new" model is just a cosmetic change - engines remain the same, features will remain the same, interior design remains the same etc. The only real items of note changing are front-end styling, the price (you can almost guarantee it'll climb), and the particulate filter which adds a new service item (and another emissions control that will slowly degrade performace) to the car... It's still the same basic car.

Also, don't forget that buying a new Fortuner means waiting in a queue anyway, so the sooner you book, the better ;)

MRO, do you believe Toyota LOS will go cheap and only ad the particulate filter to LOS spec engine? Or replace ECU to Euro IV spec providing +170 hp, more tourque and 5 speed auto needed to cope with this engine spec?

MRO, do you believe Toyota LOS will go cheap and only ad the particulate filter to LOS spec engine? Or replace ECU to Euro IV spec providing +170 hp, more tourque and 5 speed auto needed to cope with this engine spec?

Both are possible, but no sources suggesting they'll happen. The power upgrade to 168HP (171PS) is most likely out of the two, but depends on the properties of the Euro IV diesel we'll get from the bigger refiners - the TH market doesn't need additives and additional refining the deal with low temps for e.g. and will have as many other refining shortcuts as possible to keep prices down, so cetane ratings likely lower than Western markets.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Just a quick update to this list..

There are some suggestions/rumors floating around that Isuzu may continue on with their current 2.5L and 3.0L engines for the new RT-50 D-Max and MU-7, in order to create a more substantial point of difference between their GMI-700 Chevrolet brothers.

Big step backwards (performance, effeciency and NVH-wise) if this is the case, but probably a good move for controlling costs/price points and retaining their current customer base.

Since most of their customers are cow herders and rice farmers, you could say they don't know any different? Just call it a Super Platinum Gold (add your fancy word here) Edition and the said target audience will buy it!

MRO, can you make a "good translation" of the specs for the new jazz? I take it that the manual version will now have twin airbags and other goodies but not too sure. The orange looks cool, but a pity we don't get the 6speed that Japan has.

Well I can read Thai, but not Thaiglish that's been translated by Google :D

These are the changes I can recall off the top of my head for the Jazz minor change however:

• All models now come with dual front airbags and ABS brakes as standard.
  • New orange paint color.
  • Small styling updates (new bumpers, new wheel designs)
  • New seat colors.
  • New badges are:
    • S (5MT 590K, 5AT 630K)
    • V (5AT 660K) - adds 15" alloys, steering wheel audio controls and central lock.
    • SV (5AT 715K) - adds 16" alloys, different body kit, foglamps, and folding side mirrors.

Engines, tramission and base platform remain the same (it's a minor change only).

Cool, at least now it has full safety features in the base model, for those who like to shift by themselves. There is an article on the headlightmag.com website about it but its all in Thai.

Just ordered the 'new' Jazz and no 'free' insurance anymore :crying:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to this list..

There are some suggestions/rumors floating around that Isuzu may continue on with their current 2.5L and 3.0L engines for the new RT-50 D-Max and MU-7, in order to create a more substantial point of difference between their GMI-700 Chevrolet brothers.

Big step backwards (performance, effeciency and NVH-wise) if this is the case, but probably a good move for controlling costs/price points and retaining their current customer base.

Since most of their customers are cow herders and rice farmers, you could say they don't know any different? Just call it a Super Platinum Gold (add your fancy word here) Edition and the said target audience will buy it!

Spot on. :)

I recently put my Toyota Tiger up for sale...thought that 7+ years is enough,but would like to stick with Toyota.The problem is,that if I want an automatic model,the only available is the 4/4 Vigo 3L option which cost almost a mil.I like the Prerunner 2.5 L VNT,but they don't have an auto version(!),so I started to look around and there is a new Mitsubishi 2.5L VG with stunning 178 HP engine!

I always wanted to stay away from those other(than Toyota) brands,but it does not look like they will change anything soon(?).

Can anybody comment on this,please?...don't really want to end up buying a Triton...

I recently put my Toyota Tiger up for sale...thought that 7+ years is enough,but would like to stick with Toyota.The problem is,that if I want an automatic model,the only available is the 4/4 Vigo 3L option which cost almost a mil.I like the Prerunner 2.5 L VNT,but they don't have an auto version(!),so I started to look around and there is a new Mitsubishi 2.5L VG with stunning 178 HP engine!

I always wanted to stay away from those other(than Toyota) brands,but it does not look like they will change anything soon(?).

Can anybody comment on this,please?...don't really want to end up buying a Triton...

??

2011 Toyota Hilux Vigo

Pickup 4dr DCab G Auto 4sp RWD 3.0DCT [4 Speed Automatic]

819,000 baht

Have a look at the Triton is is very small inside.

Much bigger about same size as the Vigo is the

2011 Nissan Frontier Navara

Pickup 2dr Ext. Cab Calibre LE Auto 5sp RWD 2.5DCT [5 speed automatic]

726,000 baht

or 4 door = 802,000 baht

Edited by ignis

??

2011 Toyota Hilux Vigo

Pickup 4dr DCab G Auto 4sp RWD 3.0DCT [4 Speed Automatic]

819,000 baht

Have a look at the Triton is is very small inside.

Much bigger about same size as the Vigo is the

2011 Nissan Frontier Navara

Pickup 2dr Ext. Cab Calibre LE Auto 5sp RWD 2.5DCT [5 speed automatic]

726,000 baht

or 4 door = 802,000 baht

Thanks...the Vigo is3L and regular ,not high suspension...the Nissan...well,that's like the 3rd choice...

I wonder,if Toyota will come soon with something matching the new Triton 4dr 2.5 VG model (with auto transmission cost about 806 000 Baht)?I really liked the Prerunnr Exclusive edition before,but there was NO automatic version...?!

Thanks...the Vigo is3L and regular ,not high suspension...the Nissan...well,that's like the 3rd choice...

I wonder,if Toyota will come soon with something matching the new Triton 4dr 2.5 VG model (with auto transmission cost about 806 000 Baht)?I really liked the Prerunnr Exclusive edition before,but there was NO automatic version...?!

Another option

2011 Mazda BT-50....... Pickup 4dr DCab Hi-Racer Auto 5sp RWD 2.5DCT (ABS).......... 761,000 baht

New model last year

Ford Ranger Hi-Rider WildTrak LTD.... 4 door, Auto 5sp RWD 2.5DCT (WLC)..... 848,000 baht

The Normal Ranger Hi-Rider 770,000 baht

Another option

2011 Mazda BT-50....... Pickup 4dr DCab Hi-Racer Auto 5sp RWD 2.5DCT (ABS).......... 761,000 baht

New model last year

Ford Ranger Hi-Rider WildTrak LTD.... 4 door, Auto 5sp RWD 2.5DCT (WLC)..... 848,000 baht

The Normal Ranger Hi-Rider 770,000 baht

NO...these are really small inside,and kind of "down the line".

...there is also a "resale value" to consider...

Vigo 4 door 2wheeldrive auto 3,0 at 809k baht :)

If you are used to Toyota quality and service, think twice to choose another supplier in Phuket

Motoring section Bangkok Post 28 Feb had a good comparison test Triton VGT v Nissan Navara. The article is still online to read.

post-44176-0-39015300-1300191583_thumb.j

KB thats a good price for the Vigo, is that the latest model?, as 3 weeks ago I ordered a Vigo Hilux double cab 4 x 2, 3L Auto.

Its the new VN turbo model and now has passenger airbag!

Priced at 824,000 Baht.

Colour super white.

Bye Bye Navara :)

Motoring section Bangkok Post 28 Feb had a good comparison test Triton VGT v Nissan Navara. The article is still online to read.

KB thats a good price for the Vigo, is that the latest model?, as 3 weeks ago I ordered a Vigo Hilux double cab 4 x 2, 3L Auto.

Priced at 824,000 Baht.

Colour super white.

Sense at last. :D

I remember the first time l sat in a Merc. Thought, hmmmmm, this is basic, not impressed, THEN l drove it :). Superior drive, very relaxed and couldn't wait to drive it again. I really believe that Toyota have looked at Mercs design about what people want to be happy. Toyota's choice of light beige interior is a great decision, They want you to feel at home and not in a heavy goods vehicle. :D

Priced at 824,000 Baht.

Colour super white.

The pricelist on my desk is not dated, so i could be outdated on price. VN 2xSRS yes

Welcome to the Vigo club :) .

Could be the new ranger will be my next choise tho :whistling:

Well,my point is,that Toyota is felling behind the competition and same happens with Isuzu...

I went recently to the Toyota dealer and asked,when are they expecting a new model of the Hilux...beside the usual "english" problems,they simply did not know what a "new model"is,or means...and when I've mention the new model of Mitsubishi,they mumble somthing like: "mitsubishi,who cares?".Looks like they think,that they are so big,that they don't need to improve!!!

...all goes down to the image...but/and Mitsubishi Pajero and Triton are selling better than ever...

• 2 weeks later...

Come back MRO your valuable input is missing from this forum. We know there are some idiot post's from 2 guys bickering every day like school children just ignore them. We need some update from the current motor show.