Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Bike Lessons?

trigger571

HI, I would like to know if anyone of you guys knows of some good Bike Driving School (English Speaking instructor) where I can go and get some bike lessons. Been looking around quite a lot but most instructors only speak Thai. I am a total newbie when it comes to biking, but have a car drivers licence. Not sure it makes any difference.CheersM

You must be referring to "motorcycle".

A bike is something you pedal.

As i said if you can ride a bike you know how to balance so you can ride a motorbike,

Gears are easy to learn :jap:

Methinks that's a typical Thai attitude, and accounts for the poor standard of motorcycle riding we all witness every day. Hopefully the OP has in mind something more professional for tuition. I would start by visiting one of the main motorcycle dealers, and get their advice.

From Wikipedia:

Bike may refer to:

* The abbreviation for either bicycle or motorcycle

* Bike Company

* Bike, Ethiopia

* Bike (magazine), a UK magazine about motorcycling

* "Bike" (song), by Pink Floyd

As i said if you can ride a bike you know how to balance so you can ride a motorbike,

Gears are easy to learn :jap:

Methinks that's a typical Thai attitude, and accounts for the poor standard of motorcycle riding we all witness every day. Hopefully the OP has in mind something more professional for tuition. I would start by visiting one of the main motorcycle dealers, and get their advice.

If the OP has a car license he should already know the road rules.

If he obtained it overseas he definitely knows the rules and can drive properly or he would not have a license.

Anyone can get a here license even if they cannot drive/ride properly and do not know the road rules

That's why there is such a poor standard of driving/riding here.B)

I am a biker, but I m afraid I dont anyone teaching big bike riding in English in Phuket.

I would start with a small auto scooter, and practice in closed area. When you feel safe, go to DLT and get a Thai drivers lisence for motocy, several existing Topics on how to do this. Then start riding on public roads.

Move up to larger manual bike like Kawasaki D-tracker250 or Honda CBR250, both inexpensive to rent.

If you now really feel experinced, move up to Kwasaki 650, available for rent from 1000 baht/day for 2009/2010 bikes

If you want someone to discuss riding with, join a club like the Ghostriders

Have fun :)

Unfortunately that is the attitude a lot of foreigners have towards bike riding: 'know how to balance and shift gears and you know how to ride, road rules are not very important here'.

There is much more to bike riding, and the road rules are just a small part of that.

Unfortunately that is the attitude a lot of foreigners have towards bike riding: 'know how to balance and shift gears and you know how to ride, road rules are not very important here'.

There is much more to bike riding, and the road rules are just a small part of that.

The biggest one i think is head checks...as in turning your head to where the blind-spot between your peripheral vision and mirrors do not cover.....allthough no one practices that here,

Smallest bike available in AUST 5 years ago 250cc,(road bike) you have to be able to ride a bike properly

and know the road rules otherwise you do not get your license

At least 95% of Aussies who ride m/ bikes here have onlyt ridden a bicycle in Aust

This probably applies to a lot of riders from other countries

There are not many bikes in AUST, last time we were there we went to catch a train,

200/300 car bays all full, 3 motor bike bays, 2 empty

Of coarse there is more to riding a bike than balance and changing gears

How long have you had a bike license, i have had one for 50 years

Did you have a bike license before coming to Thailand

As i mentioned before easy to get one here not elsewhere.

Smallest bike available in AUST 5 years ago 250cc,(road bike) you have to be able to ride a bike properly

and know the road rules otherwise you do not get your license

At least 95% of Aussies who ride m/ bikes here have onlyt ridden a bicycle in Aust

This probably applies to a lot of riders from other countries

There are not many bikes in AUST, last time we were there we went to catch a train,

200/300 car bays all full, 3 motor bike bays, 2 empty

Of coarse there is more to riding a bike than balance and changing gears

How long have you had a bike license, i have had one for 50 years

Did you have a bike license before coming to Thailand

As i mentioned before easy to get one here not elsewhere.

Yes Peter,

As you said before:

"As i said if you can ride a bike you know how to balance so you can ride a motorbike,

Gears are easy to learn"

Yes Peter,

As you said before:

"As i said if you can ride a bike you know how to balance so you can ride a motorbike,

Gears are easy to learn"

Correct, i learn to ride a motorbike when i was 13 years old and it took me about a hour

I learnt on a scramble track on private property.

When i was 17 i got my license on my first test which included knowing the road rules.

I had been riding bicycles since i was 6 years old, Using your brakes and getting your

balance is harder on a push bike it has a higher centre of gravity.

How long have you had a bike license and where did you get it.:lol:

Pleazzzzze be careful.

My oldest offspring reckons 'Get your inheritance early - put Mum on a bike in Phuket'.

I have had my bike licence for about 40 years and haven't had any heartstopping moments on a bike yet. However, being a big fat old falung female makes the locals take notice. They seem to surround me like a mother duck with her ducklings. LOL

Wear a decent helmet and put something between your skin and the road - especially from your knees and elbows down.

I am a biker, but I m afraid I dont anyone teaching big bike riding in English in Phuket.

I would start with a small auto scooter, and practice in closed area. When you feel safe, go to DLT and get a Thai drivers lisence for motocy, several existing Topics on how to do this. Then start riding on public roads.

Move up to larger manual bike like Kawasaki D-tracker250 or Honda CBR250, both inexpensive to rent.

If you now really feel experinced, move up to Kwasaki 650, available for rent from 1000 baht/day for 2009/2010 bikes

If you want someone to discuss riding with, join a club like the Ghostriders

Have fun :)

Any idea where I can rent a D-Tracker on a long term basis.... I don't like the riding position on the CBR and don't want a scooter.

Edited by tolsti

Unless there's a motor attached.:rolleyes:

Sorry to threadsmeg, but I'm looking for similar info, in Bangkok. Not in Bangers proper obviously, but some desolate vehicle free place where someone can drop 2 motorBIKES & a Thai man for the afternoon, so he can teach me how to ride (snigger).<_<

Any idea where I can rent a D-Tracker on a long term basis.... I don't like the riding position on the CBR and don't want a scooter.

D-tracker is a fantastic 250cc bike, sold my a few months ago to replace with Versys 650

Start with GC Motorbike on the hill from Karon to Patong, left side just before Safari. If not

Patong beach

Yes Peter,

As you said before:

Gears are easy to learn"

Correct, i learn to ride a motorbike when i was 13 years old and it took me about a hour

I learnt on a scramble track on private property.

When i was 17 i got my license on my first test which included knowing the road rules.

I had been riding bicycles since i was 6 years old, Using your brakes and getting your

balance is harder on a push bike it has a higher centre of gravity.

How long have you had a bike license and where did you get it.:lol:

I'm Dutch, so have been riding a bicycle since before I could walk.

Have had my motorbike license for 30 years now, also from back home. Did lots of circuit training for both car and motorbike from e.g. a former formula 1 driver, motorbike police, lots of road training for motorbike and car, etc.

But Peter, you are quite confusing. First you mention: "As i said if you can ride a bike you know how to balance so you can ride a motorbike,

Gears are easy to learn"

Then you say: "Of coarse there is more to riding a bike than balance and changing gears"

Which is it, make up your mind please.

Unless there's a motor attached.:rolleyes:

Sorry to threadsmeg, but I'm looking for similar info, in Bangkok. Not in Bangers proper obviously, but some desolate vehicle free place where someone can drop 2 motorBIKES & a Thai man for the afternoon, so he can teach me how to ride (snigger).<_<

I too would be interested in something like that. To get my license I took the AP Honda Safe Riding course, but was on an auto. I haven't ridden a bike with clutch and gears since I was about 18 which is a long time ago (30 years). A refresher would be great.

I'm Dutch, so have been riding a bicycle since before I could walk.

Have had my motorbike license for 30 years now, also from back home. Did lots of circuit training for both car and motorbike from e.g. a former formula 1 driver, motorbike police, lots of road training for motorbike and car, etc.

But Peter, you are quite confusing. First you mention: "As i said if you can ride a bike you know how to balance so you can ride a motorbike,

Gears are easy to learn"

Then you say: "Of coarse there is more to riding a bike than balance and changing gears"

Which is it, make up your mind please.

Whats wrong with you, i suggest you watch what you post yourself in the future,

I remember one about democratic govt, it was not you of coarse

I am also an old old biker from way back. As for my two centavos worth I would say this: The most dangerous thing you can ever do on a bike is to take your eyes off the road to check something out. In milliseconds some future Thai motorcycle driving instructor will pull out in front of you from anywhere. Be ready. This is not Kansas. Another thing to practice when you get out into traffic is to keep your side to side movements to an absolute minimum. If you do this MOST of the other traffic whether bikes or cars will manuever around you in a safe manner. ( cannot believe I put the word.."safe" in this post.) Good luck with your schooling. Most men who cannot ride a bike would never admit it. Hats off to you for asking. There are many skilled bike riders on TV.

Thank's to all who posted their suggestions. It seems (after wife spoke to several driving schools) that none in Phuket teach - or are willing to teach - or are able to teach bike (motor biking) riding to a Farang. In fact, most schools said that I should just get a scooter, and drive a bit on the road (since I know how to ride a bicycle) then go apply for my Thai licence. Very funny, if it was not for the fact that I truly love my life and know better not to mess around with a potentially deadly machine in this way. So I guess I will have to do two things. 1) Learn to ride a moped in some back roads to get me used to it and 2) Go back to my country in a few months time and learn to drive properly.

There seems to be a vacuum in Thailand when it comes to rider training (particularly in English) which is a shame since the per capita road accident and death rate here is among the worlds highest.

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course and Experienced Rider Course I took in the states were invaluable. The Basic Rider Course is similar to the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) in the U.K. I have been considering for some time looking into completing a Rider Coach instructor course when I'm back in the states so I can offer courses here in Thailand. This thread has spurred me to look into this further. Most states in America allow new riders to skip the ride test and/or written test if they have passed a Beginner Rider Course endorsed by MSF, and insurance companies offer discounts to riders who complete Beginner and Experienced Rider Courses. Not sure if Thailand currently offers this. If I am able to do this I will post it here. :)

Here is a list of courses offered by MSF USA: MSF Rider Courses They even have an Introduction to Scooters Rider Course.

Edit:

Thanks Garry for sending me this link.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/382592-beginner-bike-in-bkk/

Hadn't seen it before. I'll go read it now but wanted to post it here before my edit post time ran out. It should answer some of my questions.

Edited by ScubaBuddha