Thaivisa (Phuket) Get Together?

trigger571

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As our beloved Phuket Forum has only one sponsor (as I know) in the restaurant business, I suggest the event to be at our sponsors RicknRoll BBQ in Kata New road. Great food, live music. Rick has some rooms for rent and its walking distance to Ibis Hotel in addition to plenty of smaller neighborhood guesthouses. Ample parking can be provided.

I suggest a 7pm BBQ, and Saturday would probably be the best day as most have Sundays off. Lets say in a month or so.

Ricky how many can you seat and serve?

I am in and can ask TV admin for support, but first how many members are in for this?

Sounds like a excellent choice of venue, i have only read mostly good posts about it

We will be there whether its sponsored or not.

From previous experience do not take any notice of other suggested venues, the people who suggest them do not turn up at the event

Personally (I'm a bit odd :D), I would only consider an 'informal' event in Rawai without other Thai halves.

Other than that, it would be interesting to meet other posters.

Edited by Maestro
Deleted part of post that was a reply to a deleted post.

I'm in, depending upon date. Wasn't too keen on the compulsory name tags with TV names at the Ratri event so hopefully we won't have those. I don't care whether there's sponsorship or not.

I haven't been to Rick's but it sounds a good choice of venue and it's not too far from me.

Previous (TV-sponsored) events have been for TV members and their partners and they were successful nights. What's the problem with taking your partner? If it is your choice to go alone, do so - but why dictate to everyone else?

Previous (TV-sponsored) events have been for TV members and their partners and they were successful nights. What's the problem with taking your partner? If it is your choice to go alone, do so - but why dictate to everyone else?

You're missing the point - they weren't successful in the Rawai area, which is why the last was 3 years ago!

Which is why we're talking about informal events rather than TV sponsored events.

You're missing the point - they weren't successful in the Rawai area, which is why the last was 3 years ago!

Which is why we're talking about informal events rather than TV sponsored events.

Formal or informal which most get togethers/events are here there is no way i would go without my partner.

Reading posts you have done previously you seem to have something against Thai woman, why.

Formal or informal which most get togethers/events are here there is no way i would go without my partner.

Reading posts you have done previously you seem to have something against Thai woman, why.

Ok. I have no time for most Thai women married to Western men.... Its down to you to realise why, but its not that difficult.

Fair enough, I have no problem with those that would not attend an informal TV event without their Thai wives. I was only trying to point out the sort of event that I would be looking for to attend.

I realise that most posters would rather throw rotten tomatoes at me than meet me.

What would the differense be if event is sponsored by Thai Visa, IOW TV picks up parts of the tab, if TV wants to?

I would suggest one group photo of those who do not mind, and otherwise keep the cameras off, as we all want to be anonymous to some extent, especially late at night :P . Posting pictures of members without consent should be unacceptable

of course members should be allowed to bring partner, male,female, young or old

I would also suggest no name tags, IOW conversation is actually needed to get to know people ;)

and as this is a thread for those interested to meet, I suggest to those not interested to meet to post in other threads :)

Ok. I have no time for most Thai women married to Western men.... Its down to you to realise why, but its not that difficult.

Fair enough, I have no problem with those that would not attend an informal TV event without their Thai wives. I was only trying to point out the sort of event that I would be looking for to attend.

I realise that most posters would rather throw rotten tomatoes at me than meet me.

Well, I for one would like to meet you, as I would like to meet most Phuket posters, with or without partners. Whatever I may have disliked in any of your posts, and you have disliked in my posts, lets try get to know the persons behind the posts.:)

Well, I for one would like to meet you, as I would like to meet most Phuket posters, with or without partners. Whatever I may have disliked in any of your posts, and you have disliked in my posts, lets try get to know the persons behind the posts.:)

That's a good point!!

Come on you lot do not wait until you see who else is interested, i am sure there are enough of

us who actually live here who post on this forum that would like to meet other members.

KBB has offered to approach TV for partial sponsorship, the venue is not expensive anyway

I promise if anyone picks on you i will beat them up with my walking stick (if i like you)

Bloody hell. Rather than lambast each other over Thai wives and holier than thou types, why not, as all the other TV get togethers was done, start an OFFICIAL TV get together topic and all who come have to rsvp online.

Otherwise, it is not a TV get together, but a pissing contest.

just a simple point ---- There were 2 people I was not particularly looking forward to meeting at the Phuket pissups ... and both of them were actually more fun than the people I was looking forward to meeting (who were all great too!) I didn't go to "make friends" but I feel that I did.

So, ... I might suggest that if you aren't interested (for whatever reason) that there is probably no reason to post in this thread :)

Awesome...I would love to support a Phuket TV get together. Being a sponsor of this Phuket Forum has been great so far and I have no regrets. I have however... met some interesting people and a well some unique ones as well.

I did believe that being a sponsor would be a great way to network with many of you while supporting your venues and ventures as well.

As far as this venue, Rick N' Roll Music Cafe is a great Live Music Party Place and we have plenty of seating indoor & a great beer garden outdoor. The BBQ menu consists of: Honey BBQ Pork Ribs, Sirloin Steak, Chicken Kebabs, Tempura Shrimp, Buffalo Wings, Roasted Potatoes, Greens and Salad.

To prime this event I will put out a welcome punch bowl and believe me it won't be for the faint of heart. As far as the date I will be having my Birthday Bash on the Saturday March the 5th so anytime after that RnR is open to your date and party suggestions.

Here is our web site: www.ricknrollmusiccafe.com

I will attach some pics and a map in my next post.

Looking forward to meet you all!

Edited by ricknroll

I think KBB would like to know who will attend so he can approach TV and see if they will partially sponsor the event.

If everyone stops the bickering and just post if they will attend by themselves or with a partner he will have a idea,

He can then contact TV and if they are interested start a new topic on a official get together

I think KBB would like to know who will attend so he can approach TV and see if they will partially sponsor the event.

If everyone stops the bickering and just post if they will attend by themselves or with a partner he will have a idea,

He can then contact TV and if they are interested start a new topic on a official get together

This makes good sense as this topic is turning into the usual pissing contest which normally results in the topic being closed. Perhaps the mods should only allow posts related to those who are genuinely interested in the event.

Certainly hope this thing will get on the rails, and if business/family circumstances allow I will be there.

Friction between posters should not prevent this from taking place. My experience is that impressions you get of people by exchanging e-mails and forum posts can prove to be fully incorrect once you get to know them in real life. The guy who seems difficult to handle online, can turn out to be a pleasant character when meeting him face to face, and someone who seems nice in cyberspace, might get on your nerves right away when trying to have a conversation with him.

So if this thing materializes, go there with an open mind, and yes, name tags maybe better left out, so that people are not prejudiced socializing with whoever is there.

Edited by keestha

You dont know how lazy I am, but 1,5 km is within motocy distance :)

and if a better suggestion comes up, I will travel anywhere within Phuket :)

so, do we get to meet you and your family?

Not my cup of tea I'm afraid mate, but I hope you all have a good time, and would enjoy seeing photos.

BTB is out? Ok, I'm in. :)

...and as this is a thread for those interested to meet, I suggest to those not interested to meet to post in other threads :)

I have deleted a couple of off-topic posts and the replies to them. This should make it easer to see who is interested in the party. Wishing you all success with this event.

we tried a few of these in Bangkok with varying degrees of success over the years but have taken the back seat now.

Issues:

1) Getting consensus on where / when to hold it

2) Post event complaining about any / every thing possible - beer not cold, too expensive, cloudy skies you name it so be forewarned.

Solution;

1) Someone just decide where and when you are having a meet-up and don't promise extras like discounts or freebies, Cheap charlies won't have reason to complain about not getting 3 free pieces of pizza etc. If those who dont like your decision and conditions (eg- pay your own way) dont come - so be it.

...and as this is a thread for those interested to meet, I suggest to those not interested to meet to post in other threads :)

I have deleted a couple of off-topic posts and the replies to them. This should make it easer to see who is interested in the party. Wishing you all success with this event.

and I have just deleted 5 more off topic/bashing posts.

I'm considering going, provided it's not held at The Hilton or The Sheraton Hotel (I can afford it - just don't like the atmosphere). However, for me, it would change what the whole anonymous internet forum is about. I have no doubt I would probably get on well with some members who I have fiercely disagreed with on various threads. That said, I may not get on well with members who I have often agreed with.

Whilst I have never straight out abused anyone on TV, I have been strongly opinionated at times which I am sure has caused some annoyance to some members.

I would have no problem stating anything I have posted to any member's face, in person, but a lot of the freedom to post comes from it being anonymous.

There have been many studies about this issue and they have found that people are "themselves" over the anonymous internet, and conform to what is "expected" in the work place and with friends and family.

Does anyone know what I am on about????