So Is It Every Motorcycle Related Business Operated By Westerners In Thailand...

submaniac

Flakey and unreliable? :D Noticed that alot of posts recently on this forum which follow this general pattern:

Poster: Does anyone know about such and such business? I am interested in purchasing or utilizing their services?

Response: So and so ripped me off.

Moderator: Naming and shaming posts have been deleted.

So what is it about Thailand + Falang business + motorcycles = disaster?

Have to disagree with you here. There is a guy here on Samui that is a joy to deal with. No communication problems with any work you want doing. Reliable rental bikes that are serviced regularly. No rip off repair prices for small scratches etc. Yes you pay a little bit more compared to Somchai down the road but for me it is money well spent. He does sometimes though go on the lash for a few days every now and then so little gets done in the workshop but haven't we all at sometime :blink:

Not all the business's are bad it just depends some of them are OK - I am not allowed to promote it/ them directly though as not a sponsor on Thai Visa (working on it then I can) if its done properly and you get recommended then I would say its more reliable than the Thia options. Serviced bikes, reliability and maintained bike are all very important to look for as well as things like contracts/ security deposits and not taking passports.

The main thing is ask around your local area and get people to tell you who to go to.. it works for me and my friend in Kata

Both Thai and farang run big bike dealers can be shady. As long as there are very strict regulations and huge amount of taxes to get a big bike on Thai plates, there will always be some dealers searching short cuts. Buyer bleeds

Believing a dealer sayin this bike has no book yet, but you will have it in 6 (six) months should make every alarm bell ring. But bikers want their bike and become naive and trust dealers. By Thai law bike must have reg book and plate within 30 days after 1st time insured/payed/invoiced, to be road legal.

If a dealer will not guerantee this and does not have emission and approval and taxes payed for the bike you want (check frame number with docs), walk away or probably loose money. Better to pay 10% deposit and wait 30 days for reg book and plates, than paying 100% to enjoy a bike for 30 days and then keep it away from public roads and places for years while you try to obtain legal docs