Thailand Officials Are Worse Than...

IanForbes

Thailand highway officials are worse than the thaivisa moderators. Every 10 kilometers along the highway they are banning someone. If I recall correctly they Ban Mo Paeng, Ban Pang Paek, Ban Nam Rin, Ban Mae Lanna, Ban Mae Suya, and a whole bunch more too numerous to mention. Thankfully they didn't ban on Farang or Falong, or Falang. :lol:

I just got back from a 4 day motorbike trip on a mountainous road in Northern Thailand. We went from Chiang Mai to Mae Taing, to Pai, to Mae Hong Son, to Mae La Noi, to Mae Sariang, and back to Chiang Mai via Hot, in a big circle. There were several mountain passes with lots of switch-backs up the steep roads to the height of land where we could see down into two separate valleys. It's been voted as one of the 10 best motorbike rides in the world. It was a Great trip! My friend, Brad and I might make it a yearly event. We rode my two bikes and they both performed well in the mountains. It was about 610 km round-trip, but there were may side trips off the main route. You could spend months and not see it all.

The first 32 km from Chiang Mai to Mae Taeng on hwy 107 are pretty boring, with just the typical rural/urban sprawl. But, when you turn onto hwy 1095 it starts to get interesting as you head west. For the first 20 + km the hwy is fairly straight and climbs gradually. Then it turns into a SERIOUS climb with many tight switch-backs. You reach the height of land and the road follows the ridge where you can look down into both valleys at the same time.

Brad_Ian_1.jpg

Brad_at_switch_back.jpg

Road_to_Pai_1.jpg

Road_to_Pai_2.jpg

Road_to_Pai_4.jpg

it is about 100 km from Mae Taeng to Pai, and takes about 4 hours from Chiang Mai to Pai. Once the hwy leaves the mountain top ridge it starts the steep climb down to Pai valley. We stayed at the Brookview guest cottages on the other side of town. I've stayed there before and are quite nice. The little cottages are about 400 Baht and up. The Pai River is quite low at this time of year, but still deep enough to have a cooling down splash.

Pai_River.jpg

Pai_bridge_1.jpg

Pai_Brookview_2.jpg

Pai_Brookview_1.jpg

Nice scenery but you can do better..:D

Sorry, but I can't change the scenery... unless I just dump my garbage into the bushes and streams like the Thais do. ;) Fortunately, there are SOME Thais who take a pride in their country and pick up other people's trash.

The road from Pai to Mae Hong Son is nicer than from Mae Taeng to Pai... even though both are beautiful... and especially on a motorbike or scooter. A 125 will do just fine because most of the time you just can't safely drive much faster. It's about 110 km from Pai to Mae Hong Son and you climb over at least three mountain passes. The view from some are truly spectacular, but photos just doesn't do it justice. There is also much less traffic on the Mae Hong Son road. It also takes about 4 hours to complete.

I think this is the highest pont on the Mae Hong Son road at the Kiu Lom rest area.

height_of_land_4.sized.jpg

height_of_land_2.jpg

Pai_to_Mae_Hong_Son1.jpg

Road_trip_016.sized.jpg

heading down from the Kiu Lom rest area and heading towards Mae Hong Son

Pai_to_Mae_Hong_Son_3.jpg

Khun Ian.... for an interesting thread about a great ride around the North.... why you bucking for a whuppin' from the moderators? Not only that, the thread title is totally misleading. I bet quite a few folks would like to hear about your trip n get inspired to go take their own, but the title won't attract the right readers.

And, if you ever want a Thai lesson, feel free to ask. Of course if more Falang would stop reading every word under the sun with an 'a' as the 'a' in apple, we'd have alot better intercultural communication. If only they spelled it 'bahn' and the beer was written out 'Chahng' we'd get much better pronunciation out of everyone. I get the joke, but really, the two words sound NOTHING alike.

Rant on title n pronunciation aside, looks like a great getaway. I'm thinking to hit the road for a few days right in the height of the hot season.... I just need to get outta town, see some new places, and eat some new foods.

Not very impressed with your reference to moderators banning everyone Mr.Forbes.

We never ban those that don't deserve it,

You are still here are you not?

For the moment anyway ;)

But because you have made reference to moderators in your opening post this thread will now be closed