Songkran In Issan

Chang_paarp

Like it or not its the Thais that have turned it into a 3 day drunken water war. :burp:

No. Their traditions and culture have been long sabotaged from outside influences......like it or not.

Like it or not its the Thais that have turned it into a 3 day drunken water war. :burp:

No. Their traditions and culture have been long sabotaged from outside influences......like it or not.

This is unprecedented, zzaa... I have to agree with you. On more than one occasion when I lived in Chiangmai, I was invited to a rural village for Songkran "to see what it should really be like". Unfortunately I couldn't take advantage of those invitations, but I do remember Chiangmai 20 years ago before the farang yobbos took over. A gentle, friendly occasion... but you still got wet through!

I was in a little village outside of Phitchit a few years ago and it was traditional. Chiang Mai I was able to sneak from my apartment to the back of Central mall where the trucks unload and inside that way and watched the festivities out front. I made a mistake of trying to walk down a side street and a nice looking little girl with a big smile smeared me with powder and dumped water on me. I ran back to my apartment for the rest of the day.

I played for a couple of years till I got pink eye and that was no fun. Viral pink eye there is no cure so you have to wait for a couple of weeks for it to run its course. I think the eye doctor gave me steroids or something like that to help it along but told me it would be there for a couple of weeks regardless of what she did.