Songkran In Issan

Chang_paarp

I have committed to visit Issan for songkran, does anyone know the "official" dates for for water madness in ;

Udon Thani

Kalian

Ubon Ratchatani

Korat.

I am not trying to avoid them quite the opposite, I am travelling with my 11 year old son and want to cover as many as possible, will arm him with a super soaker and dispatch to the streets and "supervise" from a safe distance. :whistling:

Current plan is to arive in Udon Thani on 10 April and go to Kalasin that day or the next, but can be flexible if needed to increase the water play. :ph34r:

Would appreciate any accommodation recommendations in those towns too.

Hi there

Don't know the dates, but a word of warning, driving around at that time is more akin to the movie death race. Have a good time , but be very careful. Jim

Seconded, be very careful.

On past experience the official dates have little relevance, when the days fall does. As the official dates have a weekend at either side of them, expect the water throwing to start in earnest on the 9th and carry on until the 17th. Especially in the areas between the larger towns and cities.

Travelling across Isaan during this period, expect to see at least a few people's brains splattered across the asphalt.

And try to dodge the convoys drunk motorbike riders that have 5 pillion passengers without any helmets as they throw ice-water into eachother's faces and come at you head on.

Thank you for the warnings. I have experienced songkran in Ubon, Yassothon, BKK and Pattaya. My experience of songkran was best in Ubon, this is why I am taking Jr to Issan rather than Pattaya where I used to live.

I am not planning on driving, rather we will be using the death race bus network. :ph34r:

My understanding is that the "official" days vary with locations like Chiang Mai being the earliest about 11 April and further south being the later. In this thread; http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/453886-bang-pra-offers-songkran-festival-alternative-to-pattaya/ the town was having their festival on 17 and 18 April. My hope was to have an extra day or 2 of silliness with a little planning.

I have promised a lady I will be in Kalasin for a few days or so over songkran, so I was trying to do a little forward planning to avoid getting trapped in the village. :whistling: Another part of the plan was to visit the temple my brother spent a year or so living in, it is out of Ubon. All part of Jr's education.

It's a lot calmer in Prakhonchai compared to Pattaya.

That is, if you discount the occasional pitched battle on the main street between 2 local villages. Usually, over some girl it invariably involves sticks, stones and bottles being hurled at each group. Last year the army were drafted in, in anticipation of such trouble !

Happy Songkran :rolleyes:

My experince is they tend to stick to the official days more in Issan, this year being 13th-15th

It is also quieter and more enjoyable in the sticks,hope you have a good festival and just park up the motor for a few days.

On the way to Kalasin there is a resort owned by a farang but the name is lost on me! maybe someone will know and give you info....it has a big pool and the lad will love it.

Songkran is not what it used to be......

Perhaps it was always like that and the new youngsters are just following the stereo-typical paradigms that they have been indoctrinated with - chai mai ? :blink:

Perhaps. Yet, some communities haven't found it necessary to instill this lifeless, unworthy, and commercial aspect of the tradition. The disease is promoted from the "for-profit" and "mindless consumption" crowd.

Don't think that buckets of rice whiskey for breakfast, double barrel pump action water guns, over loaded motorbikes and ice-water throwing was part of the original celebration tbh.

Nor young, braless, wet t-shirt clad women grinding eachother in the streets like in some areas.

Edited by appropriate

Don't think that buckets of rice whiskey for breakfast, double barrel pump action water guns, over loaded motorbikes and ice-water throwing was part of the original celebration tbh.

Nor young, braless, wet t-shirt clad women grinding eachother in the streets like in some areas.

I need help, how do you get drool out of a keyboard?

My experince ihe way to Kalasin there is a resort owned by a farang but the name is lost on me! maybe someone will know and give you info....it has a big pool and the lad will love it.

[/quotes they tend to stick to the official days more in Issan, this year being 13th-15th

It is also quieter and more enjoyable in the sticks,hope you have a good festival and just park up the motor for a few days.

On t]

Agreed. In Ubon it's usually around the proper dates, but of course with some activity in some parts of town before and after! Always enjoyed visiting the fair that's held next to the park; sitting noshing from a variety of foodstalls and drinking beer, while hordes of people are in the park splashing water all around.

Elwood

Unfortunately, neither are you or I, zzaa!

When I first experienced Songkran in Chiangmai twenty years ago, it was possible to go to Tapae Gate, and smiling girls would say "Excuse me" and pour a cup of water over you. I'm not kidding! Now Chiangmai is as undisciplined as it gets.

In the village I live in in Isan, we tend to have one grand day of water-throwing, waterguns, and hoses, and then the village sinks back into its normal torpor. If you want to "play water', you go to Buriram itself. My overall impression is that here it is much more a case of whether you want to take part than of having to take part willy-nilly.

Unfortunately, neither are you or I, zzaa!

When I first experienced Songkran in Chiangmai twenty years ago, it was possible to go to Tapae Gate, and smiling girls would say "Excuse me" and pour a cup of water over you. I'm not kidding! Now Chiangmai is as undisciplined as it gets.

In the village I live in in Isan, we tend to have one grand day of water-throwing, waterguns, and hoses, and then the village sinks back into its normal torpor. If you want to "play water', you go to Buriram itself. My overall impression is that here it is much more a case of whether you want to take part than of having to take part willy-nilly.

As I've had the pleasure of celebrating Songkran for some 20 + years as well, we're fortunate to be in a very rural setting where everyone is drawn to Mrs. zzaa09's parents' house {they only live 2000 metres away} and the festivities are usually centred there. They come from far and wide.....gathering for blessings, good will, the Wat visits, and the expected feasting. Neighbors, friends, and family. More often than not, we'll observe the 12th through the 14th......I certainly don't know where this new fashion of the 9th-17th originates from. These older styles of celebratory moods are more of the common place today throughout rural Thailand, regardless of the fandangled commercial side that tends to get the bulk of the promotion. Fortunately, for my daughters, they have been induced to growing up in the midst of the old style observations - this can only be a positive in their lives.

Edited by zzaa09

.....just an added note to comments above: long before I moved and settled in Surin, I was quite firmly planted in the Sukhothai-Phitsanulok region {15-17 years ago} where the countryside celebrations were quite similar as they might be today. Which leads me to believe that the old school still remains.

Thank you for the warnings. I have experienced songkran in Ubon, Yassothon, BKK and Pattaya. My experience of songkran was best in Ubon, this is why I am taking Jr to Issan rather than Pattaya where I used to live.

I am not planning on driving, rather we will be using the death race bus network. :ph34r:

My understanding is that the "official" days vary with locations like Chiang Mai being the earliest about 11 April and further south being the later. In this thread; http://www.thaivisa....ive-to-pattaya/ the town was having their festival on 17 and 18 April. My hope was to have an extra day or 2 of silliness with a little planning.

I have promised a lady I will be in Kalasin for a few days or so over songkran, so I was trying to do a little forward planning to avoid getting trapped in the village. :whistling: Another part of the plan was to visit the temple my brother spent a year or so living in, it is out of Ubon. All part of Jr's education.

You can book your Ubon Songkran trip here: Travel Isaan

I have been in Udon for the past 3 Songkrans and each one was very much fun. The 2 main party places are all around the park in the center of town. You can expect gridlock for at least 2 or 3 hours making your way through the madness. The other is City Center and it had a kid friendly area for the kids to play and your son may find this place appealing.

In the City Center there are stages set up blasting out music with the wet coyote girls dancing :ph34r:

Where does this happen - EXACTLY ?

Been to or tried to avoid Songkran in five or six different cities. Most and loveliest girls I found were at Central dancing on temporary stages all around the mall in Chiang Mai.

The only place I have ever seen bra less women were on Soi Six in Pattaya. But they were not amateurs by any means.

I would also be interested where appropriate found this behavior occurring in Issan.

I have lived in the Udon Thani province for over 10 years and I'm doing the same as I have done for the last 3 years ---- Taking my annual holiday home to Australia.

Not a problem with the Thais. It's the highly embarrassing performance of the Farang population. The effin idiots have absolutely no idea what SongKran is all about and spoil the occasion for everyone giving us "ba ba babor" Farang a never increasing bad name!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by bdenner

I have lived in the Udon Thani province for over 10 years and I'm doing the same as I have done for the last 3 years ---- Taking my annual holiday home to Australia.

Not a problem with the Thais. It's the highly embarrassing performance of the Farang population. The effin idiots have absolutely no idea what SongKran is all about and spoil the occasion for everyone giving us "ba ba babor" Farang an ever increasing bad name!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Quite right, bdenner... it's the farangs are the problem, not the locals.

Edited by isanbirder

Not a problem with the Thais. It's the highly embarrassing performance of the Farang population. The effin idiots have absolutely no idea what SongKran is all about and spoil the occasion for everyone giving us "ba ba babor" Farang an ever increasing bad name!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Yep. Seconded here!B)

After coming here for over 10 years this will be my first Songkran. I do plan to join in the fun but certainly won't be gettin pissed up.

I will be spending mine in Sakon nakhon with the wife and many others I imagine.

Whilst on the Songkran topic, all the buses ffrom Mo Chit are already booked up 9 -13th April. I get to spend over 7000 for 2 flights :angry: .

It better be worth it.

Yep. Seconded here!B)

Are we attending the same Songkran? I have been from the deepest Issan village to the middle of Udon during Songkran and the locals are by far worse than the MAJORITY of the local falang expats. Now in the big tourist areas you'll find the falangs acting like fools but almost everywhere else it is the locals drunk out of their minds and groping the girls. The majority of expats do know and understand what and how Songkran is traditionally celebrated.

Like it or not its the Thais that have turned it into a 3 day drunken water war. :burp:

On the way to Kalasin there is a resort owned by a farang but the name is lost on me! maybe someone will know and give you info....it has a big pool and the lad will love it.

Are you referring to Castle Howchow in Kranuan,,,Owners name is Howard, great place to stay Howard very friendly

http://www.castle-howchow.com/

Not a problem with the Thais. It's the highly embarrassing performance of the Farang population. The effin idiots have absolutely no idea what SongKran is all about and spoil the occasion for everyone giving us "ba ba babor" Farang a never increasing bad name!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Wherever I've been, South, beach area or Issan they spoil it for me too.

Pissed up and don't know when to stop!

Its about the only time I like Bangkok.