Transfering Ownership Province To Province

I would like to buy a bike currently registered in an adjacent province and transfer/register ownership in my current province of residence (Chiang Mai).

What exactly does the Department of Land Transportation look at/investigate/review prior to issuing a registration? Paid Taxes? Previous owners record, criminal or otherwise, liens, encumbrances, private complaints, insurance records......?

Thanks

I doubt the will do any of that.

Usually will check the details in the book match the bike. Frame & engine No's, check the bike matches the book, ie; model, cc, year, etc

I'm sure they will check if it has ever been reported as stolen too.

You can register it in your name but keep the same plate from the existing province, i did that with my last bike.

Edited by Leckyman

I doubt the will do any of that.

Usually will check the details in the book match the bike. Frame & engine No's, check the bike matches the book, ie; model, cc, year, etc

I'm sure they will check if it has ever been reported as stolen too.

You can register it in your name but keep the same plate from the existing province, i did that with my last bike.

Me too. Had a couple of bikes like this. One had an Uthaitani plate and the other had a Khon Kaen plate. Did the transfers in Bangkok.Plate/provence stays the same.

Edited by MaiChai

• 1 month later...

Mine is Bangkok plated 100% legal with my home address Phayao Amphur.

The law has changed so you can leave the original province plate on. Once it used to be a no-no. Now OK

so dont get sucked in by the TV urban legend brigade.