Vietnam - Value For Money

I am on a short assignment in Vietnam and had a chance to explore the city a bit over the weekend.

Being used to Sukhumvit pricing, I was amazed to be served a 25,000 Dong (36 baht) ice cold Heineken. Not some flat draught beer, bottled beer in a nice an clean AC establishment where even the music was nice and played at a pleasant level. The goodies this not stop there, during happy hour it is 2 for 1, making it 18 baht Heineken. Well, we are not done yet, the pool table is FREE for guest! True value for money in Vietnam.

Even Western food is well priced. A big burger served with salad and fries is less than $3 at a proper sit-down restaurant.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Don't tell everyone, we've been trying to keep this secret so the place doesn't get full of the professional whingers that inhabit Thailand.

VN is expensive, unfriendly and you can't get Western goodies there OK ;-)

Edited by PattayaParent
  • Like 1

Beer has always been cheap in Vietnam, but inflation is much higher than Thailand and a lot of other things are not any cheaper and some are more expensive.

I have lived in both places and much prefer Thailand for most things, but beer and Western food is better in the Nam.

Beer has always been cheap in Vietnam, but inflation is much higher than Thailand and a lot of other things are not any cheaper and some are more expensive.

I have lived in both places and much prefer Thailand for most things, but beer and Western food is better in the Nam.

Where's the best place in HCMC for a pizza UG? :D

Sure, nothing grows into the sky and Thailand of course has its own charm. One things I have found yet in Vietnam, is copy DVD movies. Wonder why thay are not here?

It is not just that Vietnam is cheaper than Thailand, it is off the chart a lot cheaper to dine and wine in Vietnam.

Visa is of coursemore expensive. What else have you come across that is more expensive?

ye gotta watch out with the pizzas in VN...I ordered one once in HCMC and when it was served didn't have any tomato sauce or cheese, just the crust and the toppings :blink:...

recently in Hanoi during the May Day holiday I was in the Westlake (Tay Ho) district and there was a new pizza place called zpizza, a US franchise...it was tasty; I ordered a 'tuscan' medium pizza, a full sized salad with greens, toms and avocado with a really nice vinagrette dressing and a beer Hanoi...cost about the equiv of USD30 which is steep...exclusively western clientele when I was there, families with a play area for the kids...nice ice cream and wine list I noticed...efficient staff, watched them handle a large party with a million kids that would have been a disaster in most restaurants in VN...

zpizza, Syrena Center, Xuan Dieu, Tay Ho...expensive but not bad...

ye gotta watch out with the pizzas in VN...I ordered one once in HCMC and when it was served didn't have any tomato sauce or cheese, just the crust and the toppings :blink:...

recently in Hanoi during the May Day holiday I was in the Westlake (Tay Ho) district and there was a new pizza place called zpizza, a US franchise...it was tasty; I ordered a 'tuscan' medium pizza, a full sized salad with greens, toms and avocado with a really nice vinagrette dressing and a beer Hanoi...cost about the equiv of USD30 which is steep...exclusively western clientele when I was there, families with a play area for the kids...nice ice cream and wine list I noticed...efficient staff, watched them handle a large party with a million kids that would have been a disaster in most restaurants in VN...

Sounds great...maybe given the price I'll be enjoying a few plates of fried rice. ;)

Pizza Hut

Sure, nothing grows into the sky and Thailand of course has its own charm. One things I have found yet in Vietnam, is copy DVD movies. Wonder why thay are not here?

It is not just that Vietnam is cheaper than Thailand, it is off the chart a lot cheaper to dine and wine in Vietnam.

Visa is of coursemore expensive. What else have you come across that is more expensive?

Never had a problem finding DVDs in Ha Noi.

I have a 5 year visa for VN (cost $20), can't get one of them for Thailand?

Edited by PattayaParent

PM me next time you want a pizza in Ha Noi.

Well the beer and western food being better over there isn't saying too much. The beer and western food in Thailand is sub par and grossly over priced.

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Don't tell everyone, we've been trying to keep this secret so the place doesn't get full of the professional whingers that inhabit Thailand.

Dead right, and don't forget it's a communist country where each westerner has to be guided everywhere by a party member, even to the toilet :shock1:;) .

I was in a bar a while back listening to some guy saying they should relax the visa regulations so as to attract more tourists. I said no way, leave them exactly as they are, the riff raff can have Thailand and Thailand can keep them.

For me the main attraction of Viet Nam is the scarcity of western stuff, the place is still Asian though unfortunately that will change, and is already doing so albeit slowly. There is already KFC and Pizza Hut here and it's said one of the burger chains is set to break into the market place here. However if you want a good burger there's always the Black Cat restaurant in Pham Van Dat.

btw if you think HCMC is cheap, you sould go up country.

Al Fresco is know for its Pizzas but they're not cheap. Domino Pizza have just arrived. Two for one on Tuesdays. Da Vincis also for take aways. There's a long list.

I've heard that female company can be expensive and difficult to enjoy ;) ...is that true?

Yes. Exactly as it should be. Courting is an important part of Vietnamese culture whether its Vietnamese with Vietnamese or Vietnamese with Foreigner. Many girls wait a long time; weeks, months or sometimes until marriage, before they allow sex to become part of a relationship.

One of the most appealing parts of life in Saigon compared to expat life in many Thai cities in the complete lack of in your face "sex industry". If that's what you're looking for then Thailand or Cambodia would be your best bet.

SSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Dead right, and don't forget it's a communist country where each westerner has to be guided everywhere by a party member, even to the toilet :shock1:;) .

I was in a bar a while back listening to some guy saying they should relax the visa regulations so as to attract more tourists. I said no way, leave them exactly as they are, the riff raff can have Thailand and Thailand can keep them.

For me the main attraction of Viet Nam is the scarcity of western stuff, the place is still Asian though unfortunately that will change, and is already doing so albeit slowly. There is already KFC and Pizza Hut here and it's said one of the burger chains is set to break into the market place here. However if you want a good burger there's always the Black Cat restaurant in Pham Van Dat.

btw if you think HCMC is cheap, you sould go up country.

After six years in Thailand I've been in Vietnam for five years. No way am I going to live in Thailand again? It's too expensive and I can't earn enough.

There are a few speciality shops in HCMC where you can find most of the western products you're looking for but there are more American than English speciality brands available. When I saw Bisto for sale in Thailand last time I was there I had to buy it. I haven't seen it here.

That having been said, you can buy everything you need at Lotte Mart (a Korean company), the largest supermarket in HCMC. There are also a few branches of Big C. There's also Metro which is the same company as Makro. In fact, if you can't find what you need then you don't need it.

Black Cat Burgers are good but I prefer their sandwiches, which are exceptional. They also have an amazing range of fruit juices, shakes and smoothies.

Vietnam - Land of Value for Money

How did you get a 5 Year Visa? Do you mean temporary residency through a company?

$20? Last time I was stopped on my motorbike it cost me 500,000 VND, which is $25. Do you mean $200? That I can believe if you've already got a company.

If you have any contacts for residency or long term visas please let me know. I've been offered 2 year temporary residency for $800. Subsequent extensions would be considerably less. I'm always looking for alternatives.

How did you get a 5 Year Visa? Do you mean temporary residency through a company?

$20? Last time I was stopped on my motorbike it cost me 500,000 VND, which is $25. Do you mean $200? That I can believe if you've already got a company.

If you have any contacts for residency or long term visas please let me know. I've been offered 2 year temporary residency for $800. Subsequent extensions would be considerably less. I'm always looking for alternatives.

Visa exemption through marriage, $20 in VN Embassy in Bangkok, valid 5 years.

Al Fresco is know for its Pizzas but they're not cheap. Domino Pizza have just arrived. Two for one on Tuesdays. Da Vincis also for take aways. There's a long list.

That's my source for pizzas in Ha Noi.

That's my source for pizzas in Ha Noi.

Amusing as this pizza discussion is it was only the usual TV banter with UG....mostly we'll be looking to try some Vietnamese food. Might pop by the Black Cat for a sarnie though.

We're considering an overnight trip to Halong Bay so any recommendations would be welcome. Cheers!

One things I have found yet in Vietnam, is copy DVD movies. Wonder why they are not here?

One year ago Saigon was awashed by them . Price also very cheap , 10.000/13.000 dong , I guess tea money for selling pirated goods is much lower in Vietnam compared to Thailand.

One of the most appealing parts of life in Saigon compared to expat life in many Thai cities in the complete lack of in your face "sex industry".

So if you are a wanke_r Vietnam is the best place for you. Edited by Penefattore

One of the most appealing parts of life in Saigon compared to expat life in many Thai cities in the complete lack of in your face "sex industry".

So if you are a wanke_r Vietnam is the best place for you.

You come across as a complete moron.