Need Pickup Truck With Driver To Hua Hin

wpcoe

I'm in the final throes of moving out of my condo in Jomtien to a new place in Hua Hin. I have one final load to move. Although I have until the end of the month to do it, since I am here in Jomtien now to sign papers for the sale of my condo, I'd like to just take the stuff back with me this week.

The driver I used for my previous load charged me B3500, including fuel, for a one-way trip to Hua Hin. He's back in Surin now tending to his cassava crops and unavailable to accommodate me this time. I had two other options tentatively being worked out, but one could only do it today (Tuesday), and I'm not quite ready (still waiting for a time to sign the papers) and the driver needed to make it back to Pattaya today. The other option won't be available until Sunday, and I'm not sure I want to loiter around here for the rest of the week, or to make another round-trip Jomtien-Hua Hin-Jomtien for just a few days in Hua Hin, but that's looking the most probable now.

So, this is last minute, but does any body know of a driver with a pick-up truck that would be available Wed, Thurs, Fri or even Sat?

It sounds like picking up illegal immigrant workers outside home improvement stores in southern California, but hey, if it works... :)

What time in the morning? I live near Makro/Tesco.

Did you know you can box stuff up and "mail" it to your new address? About 10 baht per Kilo.Takes a week or so to get it. You can even mail a "ironing board" if you just put a mailing label on it. Literally anything. Look into it.

It sounds like picking up illegal immigrant workers outside home improvement stores in southern California, but hey, if it works... :)

What time in the morning? I live near Makro/Tesco.

Not sure; maybe take a look after 09:00...

I started out this morning taking a sawng-tau (sp?) on Sukhumvit north from Soi Watboon, intending to hop off at the first sight of a pick-up truck potentially for rent. Upon reaching Tesco Lotus without seeing any available pick-ups, on impulse I hopped off and went to the taxi stand at Tesco and asked the fellow if he'd like to take me to Hua Hin today. He declined, but phoned someone who said they'd pick me up at my condo at 1430, for a B4,000 ride. It was a little higher price than I was used to, but well within the budget.

At around noon, I decided to start wheeling boxes and suitcases to the lobby to expedite the loading. After taking the first load down, as I was leisurely walking to the elevator, my back went out! <sigh...> I have a history of lower back problems (ruptured disk), but the timing of this recurrence was not exactly convenient. After about 1/2 hour I managed to shuffle over to a pharmacy across the street and get some meds (I know what to take) and then rested in the condo until 1430.

At 1430 I went down to meet the driver, Khun Boon, and he was not phased a bit when he found out he'd pretty much single-handedly move my stuff. He was careful my things, skillful with packing them to fit the truck and covered them with a tarp. His driving was safe and tame (especially compared the mini-van drivers), and he's very amicable.

I would highly recommend Khun Boon to anybody needing pick-up truck (or car taxi) service in the Pattaya area. If the mods will permit, I'll post his phone number here: 089-011-0873. If it's verboten to post the number, please PM me and I'll gladly give you the number.

Although he's very chatty in person, his English is a little awkward on the phone, so it might be advised to have a Thai person call him.

[edited to add:] If you do give K.Boon a call, please tell him that the farang with the bad back who he moved from Jomtien to Hua Hin recommended him. He'll get a chuckle out of it, I'm sure.

Edited by wpcoe

Approximately how much do you think the trip would of cost him in fuel ? and how long did it take you to get there one way?

It takes between 3 & 4 hours depending on how quick you drive and the amount of traffic. If the truck was LPG you are looking at 400 - 500 Baht.

We made one quick pit stop enroute, and it took just over four hours, I think. I didn't note the exact time we departed Jomtien, however.

He said he calculates his costs based on B3 per km for diesel and B4 per km for gasoline. I did a rough outline of the route on Google Earth and it's about 400 miles round-trip, so that's roughly 650 km, so about B2,000 for diesel?

He filled up the tank before we departed Jomtien, and didn't refill before we got to HH, so I don't know for sure how much fuel was used.