2012 Ninja 650R- First Look!

I agreeSkybluestu. I think that the 'N' is the better looking of the two (coming from someone who placed a deposit of the 'F')

I think the photos don't do the 'F' justice, yet another month or so of waiting until i can see one in the flesh.... Tick tock....

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A list of what is said to be different:

NEW TWIN-PIPE PERIMETER FRAME

The new twin-pipe perimeter frame provides a balanced stiffness for superb handling, and is nearly as light as aluminum. The frame is 50mm narrower at the footpegs for even better rider feel. And its shape blends well with the fuel tank for additional comfort on long rides. The new twin-pipe swingarm is shaped to complement the frame’s flex and rigidity characteristics, and it looks like a million bucks, too.

ENGINE

The 649cc liquid-cooled parallel twin-cylinder engine has been carried over, albeit with some changes which enhance fuel efficiency and mid range performance.

SUPERSPORT STYLE FOR EVERYDAY RIDING

This Ninja has supersport style in an everyday ride. The sleek bodywork is race-inspired, and the six-spoke wheels perform as good as they look. A larger 19 liter fuel tank plus the new Dunlop Roadsmart II radial tires provide a comfortable ride that can go a long way between fuel stops.

FULL FAIRING

The motorcycle’s full fairing and dual headlights give it the full Ninja supersport image. Front turn signals are integrated into the body work. Supersport-style mirrors also mimic the ZX-10R and ZX-6R image, while a newly shaped front fender will help minimize water spray.

ECONOMICAL RIDING INDICATOR

An Economical Riding Indicator (ECO) is included in the Ninja 650′s digital display. The indicator appears whenever the motorcycle is being operated in an economical fashion. This convenient feature can help the rider to maximize available range.

INSTRUMENT PANEL

An easy-to-read analog tachometer sits above a multi-function digital display that tells the bike’s speed and fuel level, and also includes a clock, odometer, tripmeter and more.

IMPROVED RIDE COMFORT

Revised suspension settings and increased front and rear wheel travel deliver more a comfortable and compliant ride no matter the road surface. Upgraded brake pads are fitted to the front and rear disc brakes to provide superior braking feel and control.

ADJUSTABLE WINDSCREEN

Rider comfort is increased, and is now customizable with the three-position adjustable windscreen. Position the screen high, middle, or low to suit your style.

TWO-PIECE SEAT

The Ninja’s new two-piece seat features a slim, comfortable rider saddle that transitions to a nicely padded pillion mount. Both offer wider and thicker foam for 2012.

UNDER-ENGINE EXHAUST

Placing the muffler under the engine gives the Ninja a great look and allows optimal mass management, keeping the bike’s center of gravity just right. This three-chamber muffler completes an exhaust system that delivers better mid-range power while not losing top end, and it produces ultra-low emissions, meeting all Euro III emissions standards.

and lots more pics.

http://motoroids.com/news/exclusive-2012-ninja-650r-images-and-all-the-details.html

Wonder how it will affect the used market when they're readily available.

The 2009-2011 ER6N/F used market will be affected but not massively. There might be some bargains to be had initially as current owners want to upgrade to the 2012 bikes but I imagine that will settle after 1-2 months, maybe 5-10,000 less than today's prices.

Is that pre-load on the top of the forks or just end caps?

Looks same as the current forks to me...

Wow, if they haven't added pre-load and damping to the forks and damping to the rear shock that's a big FAIL in my book... :whistling:

Oh, and as if the current model isn't already in need of a diet the new model has gained 11 pounds. <deleted> is up with that?! :bah:

Edited by BigBikeBKK

I dig the new frame and swingarm-

2010Kawasakier6n_15SSR.jpg

2010Kawasakier6n_14SSR.jpg

2010Kawasakier6n_19SSR.jpg

The new stays are a bit ugly and look like they might be even heavier than the current stays (which are already dam_n heavy...)

2010Kawasakier6n_28SSR.jpg

They've linked the headers ala Versys-

2010Kawasakier6n_26SSR.jpg

Must be an all new airbox as the filter is completely different-

2010Kawasakier6n_20SSR.jpg

^^ 2012 ER-6n looks great, digging the yellow.

Video voiceover is so bad it's almost painful... but it reveals there's now a fuel consumption display - average, and current, as well as the ECO aka "you're doing it wrong" indicator ;)

Video voiceover is so bad it's almost painful... but it reveals there's now a fuel consumption display - average, and current, as well as the ECO aka "you're doing it wrong" indicator ;)

Yeah, that lady's narration sux! :bah:

Maybe you should hit mute before you play this one ;)

Let the Good Times ROLL!

T

Yeah, that lady's narration sux! :bah:

Maybe you should hit mute before you play this one ;)

Let the Good Times ROLL!

T

Much better muted, you're right.

I appreciate that they put up these videos in 1080p - click "watch on youtube", 1080p, and full screen - it's gorgeous.

I like the new Ninja design - looks much better. Headlights seem to borrow a bit from Triumph's new look - rounded with edges... love it. Lime green would have been nice though... ;)

c2e84c35-0b26-416a-9147-0bfe611baeb3.jpg

The new fairing seem to have adressed the right side heat from engine, by leading it away from rider. Bike looks great, but tail is begging to be removed

Sold my 2010 Ninja 650s to get a zx1000, but pricing feels wrong at 588k baht, so guess I will get a 2012 Ninja 650. Hard choice on color, if both Pearl white and Passion red will be available in TH.

any info on the stock Dunlops?

Bike looks great, but tail is begging to be removed

That and a single seat cowl and the back end would look better, i'm already considering colour coding the plastics under the riders seat, that blob of paint far out back (under the pillion seat) looks a little random to me.

It's been a while since i have used photoshop so i'm sorry for the colours being a little off.

I think it looks better with that nasty rear fender removed and the rear hugger painted

The second picture i coloured the plastics below the rider's seat, not sure if it looks better but it links the back of the bike to the rest of the bike more convincingly.

Ohh and i think the back end looks better without the grab rails.

post-59428-0-64058400-1318311039_thumb.j

post-59428-0-48703900-1318312453_thumb.j

Edited by karlos

The new fairing seem to have adressed the right side heat from engine, by leading it away from rider. Bike looks great, but tail is begging to be removed

Sold my 2010 Ninja 650s to get a zx1000, but pricing feels wrong at 588k baht, so guess I will get a 2012 Ninja 650. Hard choice on color, if both Pearl white and Passion red will be available in TH.

and ill buy it off you when your done!biggrin.gif

Edited by Kernow86

I hope Thailand gets the model without the grab rails because on closer inspection it looks like holes will be visible should the rails be removed.

It actually looks like a completely different rear end has been used on the bikes with the rails compared to the bike without????

post-59428-0-32485300-1318315025_thumb.j

and ill buy it off you when your done!biggrin.gif

until then, I hope you r happy with the one you v got, I sure have missed her on sunny days :)

The rear isn't exactly pretty, or even good looking imo.

Better than the previous version tho.

I think it looks better with that nasty rear fender removed ...

Don't do it. It's a necessary evil. I switched to the Ermax color matched undertail and every time I rode on a wet surface, I'd end up looking like a skunk, my back and the pillion seat would get covered in muddy water. Even tried bending the plate out as far as I could get it. The gf only rode pillion once like that, never again. Stock tail went back on after a week.

The rear isn't exactly pretty, or even good looking imo.

Better than the previous version tho.

I think it looks better with that nasty rear fender removed ...

Don't do it. It's a necessary evil. I switched to the Ermax color matched undertail and every time I rode on a wet surface, I'd end up looking like a skunk, my back and the pillion seat would get covered in muddy water. Even tried bending the plate out as far as I could get it. The gf only rode pillion once like that, never again. Stock tail went back on after a week.

I understand what you're talking about, my VFR400 didn't have the mud guard and my gf would get pretty dirty if it was wet out.

How ever this new Ninja 650 will be my dry weather toy, so i'm afraid to say that the bike will be seeing a couple of screwdrivers as soon as i get it home.

If i do get caught out in the rain it doesn't bother me too much, if my gf happens to be wearing some of her best clothing she can either catch a taxi or continue with me :D

It would seem the new 3rd generation frame has lost two of the engine mounting points that exist on the current frame:

Left side-

Ninja650RNoCutSldrsLft1SSR.jpg

2nd gen above, 3rd gen below-

2010Kawasakier6n_18SSR.jpg

Right side-

Ninja650RNoCutSldrsRt1SSR.jpg

2nd gen above, 3rd gen below-

2010Kawasakier6n_19SSR.jpg

Wonder how the new frame set up will perform...

2010Kawasakier6n_14SSR.jpg

2010Kawasakier6n_15SSR.jpg

its ok, but nothing to scream for... Never liked that half cut seat, so I guess that i will enjoy mine for the next few years...

That heat coming out from the engine on the right hand side is heavenly on a cold rainy morning!!!

I would have to agree. I have been so happy with that heat all week! When the rain goes I can simply remove the waterproof layer smile.gif

Edited by Kernow86

Couldn't you do an extra rear hugger somewhere on the outside? Halfway up on the back. That would prevent the tire from splashing water all over your back... I've seen that on some bikes.

finally er6n is launched but i managed to find official info for er6n only in European website of kawasaki not USA one.

called kawa rama9 and still the same song: " The new model will not arrive soon so we have the old one for 245,000 - 2000 thb discount :) -

My bike is dead now and i am using my workhorse honda wave for commuting in Bangkok for a week now:( I need a bike and i am tired of waiting. Don t want to buy a second hand one when the new model is on the door.

I hope i will not fell into honda cbr 250 for necessity as it is not a good feeling to ride a wave 40 km a day and i cannot wait longer. Easy to sell cbr 250 and then buying a new er6n when it is available.

God speed kawasaki or i will get mad:))

Edited by loserlazer

finally er6n is launched but i managed to find official info for er6n only in European website of kawasaki not USA one.

called kawa rama9 and still the same song: " The new model will not arrive soon so we have the old one for 245,000 - 2000 thb discount :) -

My bike is dead now and i am using my workhorse honda wave for commuting in Bangkok for a week now:( I need a bike and i am tired of waiting. Don t want to buy a second hand one when the new model is on the door.

I hope i will not fell into honda cbr 250 for necessity as it is not a good feeling to ride a wave 40 km a day and i cannot wait longer. Easy to sell cbr 250 and then buying a new er6n when it is available.

God speed kawasaki or i will get mad:))

I've been told at the earliest Late November to mid December for my 'F' (ninja) model, thank god i reserved mine 6 weeks ago, hence the reason i'm 4th on the list.

You'll have to place a 10k deposit if you want any chance of getting one this year mate :)

Edited by karlos