Gassan Golf Courses.

JAS21

Guys

We looked at promotions there at a holidayn fare in Bangkok today...looked nice and know that it is quite cool up there. However having just looked at thaigolfer.com no one has a good word to say about the Gassan Courses. Are they as bad as the TG web site write ups suggests please?

I have been to Khutan two or three times.

Wonderful place, the scenery is spectacular, the course is challenging but fair.

Whenever I have been there has hardly been anyone else on the course, in fact I recall once that my son and I never saw another golfer throughout our round, all the groundsmen were following us round and watching, (which must have been awful for them) they even clapped when I got a 15 on a par 5 !!!!

GO, its a breathtaking course IMHO, but then I am cr*p at golf what do I know :lol:

Gassan courses are the worst kept in Thailand.

I am a member of Lakes and play there once a year, hoping it will have improved, but it never has.

Khuntan has great scenery, is a good layout, but no grass on the fairways, greens that should be called browns.

Absolute rubbish all of them, Marina is the best layout but the worst condition, thousands of stones in the bunkers.

Go to Highlands, the best course in the north, or Alpine the second best.

If Gassan have an offer to play for free, don't go its not worth it.

Lake City has(had?) a 400B rate, caddie included, for the past year. I havn't been in a couple of months. Conditions were overall fair but it is a very challenging course with distinctly different nines. Beautiful clubhouse. Khuntan, as noted above is spectacular. I played about 2 months ago, condition was good. Special rate for locals 800B. have not played Marina but it gets poor local reviews. There was a GO member card for discounts but when we played at Khuntan 2 of us had no card yet still got the rate with proof of residence, Drivers license.

I play Lake City 2-3 times a week and have played there on and off for about two years. I must say they have made steady progress on course maintenance over that period. The greens are running much smoother, the fairways are decent, but have a few water leaks. The rough is slowly being tamed, but they need about 5 more guys with weed whackers and actually working to really get on top of it. Most of the bunkers are now playable as most of the weeds are gone.

I play Marina only occasionally, and really don't see why they think it is worth charging more for. Double or more, depending on who is behind the counter. The Gassan Member card is good at Lake City and Khuntan, but take it into Marina and the look at you like you are from outer space. Even though to play there you take a caddy from Lake City. I had to call the manager over at Lake City, just to get the promised price of 800b. The only reason I see to play Marina is to get the promo, which is pay once at all three, then get a free round at your choice. My choice is Khuntan as I think it is competitive with the better courses around, for scenery, condition and playability.

I think my favorite course in the area is Highlands, but I can play Lake City 3 times a week for about what it costs to play Highlands. Pretty strange since they are all empty. Yesterday I played 36 at Lake City and saw just two other singles the whole way. Great for practice.

Last week we played Highlands as a 4-some and let one single and one pair play through. They were the only others we saw the whole way.

They really should take some of the confusion out of the process. At the counter in Lake City they have a sign showing the rate at, I think, 2200 baht. I did hear of a new person going there and they actually tried to get that rate from him. I didn't see it happen, but I tend to believe it is possible, given my experience at Marina.

Overall, now that we are well known at Lake City, it is a positive experience, and I think the best value in the area. It is possible for short hitters to lose a lot of golf balls,as water abounds especially in front of many tees, with carries of 150+ yards on a few holes. This probably keeps lots of players off the course.

I recommend it.

For price and overall course condition the much improved Lake City cannot be beaten. Very challenging, the short drivers will have trouble.

I played Green Valley 2 weeks ago and Lake City last week, the greens ,certainly the first 9 at Lake City were far superior to Green Valley where there was as much sand on the greens as there was in the bunkers!

2 other courses worth looking at are Inthanon and Gold Canyon -here for more info ChiangMaiGolfCourses .com

For price and overall course condition the much improved Lake City cannot be beaten. Very challenging, the short drivers will have trouble.

I played Green Valley 2 weeks ago and Lake City last week, the greens ,certainly the first 9 at Lake City were far superior to Green Valley where there was as much sand on the greens as there was in the bunkers!

2 other courses worth looking at are Inthanon and Gold Canyon -here for more info ChiangMaiGolfCourses .com

Thank you everyone...some varied opinions.

Decided to give Gassen a miss, but will be going to Gold Canyon..thanks Thailand..and also bought tvelve vouchers (600Baht each for green Fee) for Khao-Yai Golf Courses. If anyone is interested to find out more about that offer you can PM me and I'll give you a phone number. Not all the Khao Yai courses are just one voucher