Buying Second Hand Bike

Hi ,

Can someone clear this up for me, if i buy a second hand bike privately does both the buyer and seller have to go to registration building to change the name in the book or does the seller just sign something and then then the buyer can take the book to get changed over..

I cannot see that both should have to do it otherwise every time you buy and sell it you would have to go down twice, once when you buy and once when you sell.

cheers in advance

It is not required by Thai law or regulation that the seller go to Land Transportation.

You will see it advised here often, two reasons being:

A. If the (essential to have) green book does not match the serial numbers on bike and engine, or if that book is phony, officials will block the sale, and you've paid for a big headache. Thus if you pay seller there after the inspection, you've made a legitimate purchase and a bike you can insure, license, and re-sell.

B. That transfer paper is all in Thai (those I've seen) and one needs assistance in getting them filled out correctly and I think I recall photostat of seller's ID papers.

Of course, any established dealer will do all paperwork as a matter of course. Some sellers can as well, or at a large sales place there may be facilities, but then you are playing who-do-you-trust.

G'luck!

Get the power of attorney - Bai Mob Umnod, and make sure the copy of the ID card is not expired.

If its expired you have to get a non expired copy of the ID card.

Make sure everything is signed including inside the book.

Is it different if both seller and buyer are non-Thai?

Two years ago now, but the Phuket folk insisted we both go along when I bought a friend's motorbike, also required us both to have proof of residence, ID/Passports

Didn't bother me but cost him a half-day off work.

neither buyer or seller must go to DLT, both can issue proxys

but

I would not pay for a +50k baht bike before DLT has approved its identity and spec, and the DLT ladies have approved sellers documents to be transfered to me. And as seller I would not accept transfer before funds recieved. So in reality I have spendt some 1-2 hours transfers at DLT, and left with cash or new bike :)

For farang seller, copy passport including valid permit to stay is needed. Some DLT also require certificate of residence

For farang buyer, passport as above, certificate of residence, and some DLT require to see original passport

For Thais, ID card only, make sure ID number matches ID in reg book, make sure card is not expired

For all, signed transfer form, witnessed

Buying from a dealer, well some are clean, some are not. I bought a 2006 bike, and when book arrived it was 16 years old. Needless to say seller got the bike back and I got my cash back