Thais Warned To Stay Off Twitter -- Or Face Jail

webfact

Thais warned to stay off Twitter -- or face jail

BANGKOK, (AFP) - Thai police on Saturday warned election candidates and citizens not to use websites such as Facebook or Twitter to continue campaigning on the eve of the national vote -- or risk going to jail.

"Police will work with hundreds of ICT (information and communication technology) officials to monitor all types of social media activities after 6:00pm," said national police spokesman Major General Prawut Thavornsiri.

"Any candidates or even ordinary people who convince others to vote for someone face a six-month jail term or a 10,000-baht fine ($324) or both," he said.

Thai election law prohibits all political campaigning from 6:00 pm (1100 GMT) the day before a vote.

The ban will be lifted at midnight on Sunday. Alcohol sales are also forbidden during those hours.

Thailand's political parties have taken to online social networking like never before during their campaigns, using an array of platforms including Twitter, Facebook and YouTube to reach voters.

Polls will be open from 8:00am Sunday until 3:00pm, with the first unofficial nationwide results expected by 9:00pm.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-07-03

"Polls will be open from 8:00am Sunday until 3:00pm"

strange, why discussing politics is forbidden 9h after the polls are closed.

also looks like the government doesn't care much about democracy and voting, because polls are opened only for 7h. In europe, for example, polls open 6am-10pm, so everybody has a chance to vote, even those working all day 12h shifts (yes, there are such working hours in europe as well as in thailand).

that's what same call "token democracy"

Edited by londonthai

Bit of a sensationalist headline imo. Warns against campaigning on the final run up to the election in Thailand which is illegal in any case. Why not mention all forms of campaigning could land you in hot water rather than just Twitter?

I guess they won't be handing out how to vote phamplets at the polling stations either. Ilegal to discuss politics with friends on the social networks. Freedom of speech????

Who are you? what do you want? No wait I didn't mention that "T" word, please wait aaaaarrrrrrgh beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess they won't be handing out how to vote phamplets at the polling stations either. Ilegal to discuss politics with friends on the social networks. Freedom of speech????

Who are you? what do you want? No wait I didn't mention that "T" word, please wait aaaaarrrrrrgh beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know exactly where you are coming from. It is a total infringement on the individuals freedom of speech. No argument there. If Twitter etc are used to get people out to vote, even at the last minute, isn't that a good thing? Very strange rule, but we live in strange times. Ah well at least it is nice a quiet in Bangkok at the moment, can even hear the birds singing while I enjoy my coffee and morning smoke in the garden - maybe we could have an election every Sunday.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Another farang death by suicide... RIP chooka

I do believe that this flies in the face stupidity.

You have a law that "prohibits all political campaigning from 6:00 pm (1100 GMT) the day before a vote" and yet you allow the campaign road posters to remain in fixed positions so that voters can "be influenced" as they make their way to the voting polls.

You have a law that "prohibits all political campaigning from 6:00 pm (1100 GMT) the day before a vote" and yet you allow the the media to comment and show sound-bytes of the candidates so that voters can "be influenced" as they make their way to the voting polls while listening to the radio.

What part of "all" do you not understand.

It is that word that makes this edict so ludicrous.

Give up. Give in. Let the people choose.

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: Another farang death by suicide... RIP chooka

Is that how they define a 'floating voter' ? Ve Haf Vays of Helping You Make Up Your Mind ! :rolleyes:

Bit of a sensationalist headline imo. Warns against campaigning on the final run up to the election in Thailand which is illegal in any case. Why not mention all forms of campaigning could land you in hot water rather than just Twitter?

Because enforcing a ban on traditional campaigning by parties or people in affiliated organizations is still reasonable, because it potentially interferes with the actual process of voting. (people may feel intimidated, etc. That's why this is reaosonable.)

What is not reasonable is threaten ordinary citizens with jail if they make a Facebook post saying "Just voted for Abhisit, go Dems! Off to Starbucks now and play Angry Birds. "

That makes it news, and another example of the police showing just how far out to lunch they are. But I think you probably knew that.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hells Bells. New Zealand is as undemocratic and state controlled as Thailand. Here we require all persons seeking election to do the same, and also have their campaign signs gone as well.

The difference is this extends to the normal population, not only persons seeking election.

Whats the difference between someone posting to go and vote on twitter and 'Bird' just on TV saying everyone shoudl get out and vote ?? None just another totally unclear message and law, without definitions or scope.

"Polls will be open from 8:00am Sunday until 3:00pm"

also looks like the government doesn't care much about democracy and voting, because polls are opened only for 7h. In europe, for example, polls open 6am-10pm, so everybody has a chance to vote, even those working all day 12h shifts (yes, there are such working hours in europe as well as in thailand).

that's what same call "token democracy"

This is why they also have pre-election voting the weekend before.

Also, employers are obligated to release employees to vote.

Australia used to have laws where there could be no reporting for 3 days before the election.

Not so.

There is a 3 day political advertising blackout, and that still applies.

Yes, you are correct. I think I was remembering (badly) back to the early 90's when there were some law changes for a short time (struck down by the High Court) (but related to advertising, not reporting as I remembered).

"Thai election law prohibits all political campaigning from 6:00 pm (1100 GMT) the day before a vote."

That explains why the GF collected her 500 baht at about 5:45 yesterday evening!

Edited by madmitch

Now that's what Thais call democracy!

Any of that free speech will be expensive as you'll be jailed. Thank god the thought police are on holiday.

No, it is called common sense. The same laws apply in most Commonwealth nations. Campaigning stops at a specific time. It is intended to calm things down and give the population a break

Because enforcing a ban on traditional campaigning by parties or people in affiliated organizations is still reasonable, because it potentially interferes with the actual process of voting. (people may feel intimidated, etc. That's why this is reaosonable.)

What is not reasonable is threaten ordinary citizens with jail if they make a Facebook post saying "Just voted for Abhisit, go Dems! Off to Starbucks now and play Angry Birds. "

That makes it news, and another example of the police showing just how far out to lunch they are. But I think you probably knew that.

Yes I know that but to say people risk imprisonment for saying 'up the dems' or 'go PT' is needless scaremongering imho. However should there be active canvassing by whatever means then that flies in the face of current Thai law. Is that right personally I think not but thats the law as it stands. Would it ever be enforced? Not a chance in hell.

So if all political campaigning is illegal from 6pm 2nd July to midnight 3rd July does that mean that all candidates that has not removed all their election posters littering the road sides will be red carded and banned from this election???

"Police will work with hundreds of ICT (information and communication technology) officials to monitor all types of social media", Big Brothers minions working in darkened rooms, away from prying eyes and difficult questions under control of the few and protected by the Military.......Let us hope things CAN change for ALL Thais.