Police Cameras

This morning I noted on my regular morning ride taking my daughter to school that the police are now not giving out tickets. They have been issued cameras to take photos from the back getting the plate as well as the back of the driver. I had noticed this at a stop light in Chiang Mai this morning near airport plazza. I later went back and asked about it. I was told giveing tickets they can only do 1 or 2 every light change, where this way they can do 10 - 20 every light, increasing fine totals

As a note We both had our helmets on !:lol:

OK, so in spite of the title, thus far we're only talking about enforcing mandatory helmet law, not other infractions. And just in CM, so far as we know?

Make more money for the BiBs, maybe, but good for the kids all around. Seen more youngsters splattered on highways here in 1.5 years than during a few decades riding in the west.

Should be noted that we may have very progressive authorities here. To purchase bikes (and some other operations), we pay 500 baht for a letter of residence that is only good for one month, while I understand that other provinces have not caught up with the latest. Now cameras. Chiang Mai rules.:lol:

Out of 20 bikes ive owned, ive only had 4 in my name. Wonder what happens when someone sells a bike and its left untransferred.

More like of the 20 bikes you've had in your possession you could only prove that you owned 4 of them.

If i sell a bike and its in my name, the ticket comes to me if the buyer doesn't transfer the ownership to themselves.

If you would like more help thinking, feel free to ask.

A couple of Thai friends told me today if you get a ticket in the mail, it comes from the "court". They say do not discard it. You could spend a lot of time in jail even before you see the judge. Many Thais fear getting tickets in the mail because of it.

Just a thought!

Out of 20 bikes ive owned, ive only had 4 in my name. Wonder what happens when someone sells a bike and its left untransferred.

If i sell a bike and its in my name, the ticket comes to me if the buyer doesn't transfer the ownership to themselves.

It's not because you have that attitude that everyone else is the same.

They have a speed camera on the other ring road in Bangkok also... The ticket was delivered by a police officer on a scooter... Costs less than a box of Leo beer for doing twice the speed allowed...

Edited by Richard-BKK

If i think of the countless people here driving around with one or more little children, whole family without helmet...

Don't know if taking pictures is good or bad. Depends on the personal view. And don't know whats so difficult for thais to wear helmets. But i really hope noone gets jailed for this :o

They have a speed camera on the other ring road in Bangkok also... The ticket was delivered by a police officer on a scooter... Costs less than a box of Leo beer for doing twice the speed allowed...

Careful ...i got a ticket at the intersection of srinakarin and ramakamhaeng road when i did not commit an offence, Turning right from srinakarin a bus stopped in the right hand lane to let passengers off and on...all traffic stopped and a camera took a pic of me in the middle of the intersection,

Ticket with photo came through the post 500bht.

Careful ...i got a ticket at the intersection of srinakarin and ramakamhaeng road when i did not commit an offence, Turning right from srinakarin a bus stopped in the right hand lane to let passengers off and on...all traffic stopped and a camera took a pic of me in the middle of the intersection,

What's the offense?

What's the offense?

Shooting a red light,

On reflection its easy for me to say the bus driver was at fault but infact its down to the bib to make sure that a handful of tuktuks and 50-60 taxis dont turn a 3 lane public highway into one lane all in search of passengers, The bus driver had no choice than to stop in the third lane...dont suppose he was bothered anyway.

ummmm it works both ways, i could've been compiling tickets in some poor blokes name - unintentionally.

What's the offense?

I guess driving on the wrong lane...

ummmm it works both ways, i could've been compiling tickets in some poor blokes name - unintentionally.

Uhmmm,when I buy a bike I don't leave it in someone else name but transfer it straight into my own name-Intentionally.

What's the offense?

I guess driving on the wrong lane...

Very unusual but i was driving my car as opposed to the bike but even on the bike i would have had no choice but to use the third lane.

Edited by tingtongfarang

Uhmmm,when I buy a bike I don't leave it in someone else name but transfer it straight into my own name-Intentionally.

...and your point is?

Never mind,next time you buy a bike send me a PM and I will forward you my details so you can place it in my name.You will find out soon after that what my point is.;)

Yes and BTW who's name was the other 16 bikes in? Seems they have more to worry about with you riding them un-transferred then you do :rolleyes: .. If you would like help thinking, feel free to ask :whistling: ..

They can take a a big nice clear picture of my big Pirelli tyres ! No prob, they can send the ticket to the Pirelli company if they want.....no lic plate!:whistling:

Then you will be one of the'one or two' that the BIB can normally catch :whistling:

And there's always http://competitionwerkes.com/ for those of us with plates.

The lengths people will go to to avoid wearing a helmet....

IMO this is only going to work for helmets anyway, and we'll see whether or not it actually works, e.g. people come in and pay.

As for being thrown in jail - don't believe everything your Thai friends tell you. Due to sheer stupidity on my own part I had to pay 2 parking tickets recently in Chiang Mai, I was in and out of the one stop office in 5 Minutes each time. The BiB cannot be beat at efficiency when it comes to getting the cash :) ...

The police in Chiang Mai these days is pretty good - they're enforcing traffic laws, not making up new ones like the BKK brothers... and they are perfectly reasonable. The second time I got a ticket the police officer was asking around whom the bike belonged to, even, to give me a chance to move. Seems like this is standard procedure as I avoided at least 2 tickets thanks to police asking around. Imagine that in the west... not gonna happen.

(Unfortunately the staff at the Cafe was busy and didn't go upstairs to look for me until it was too late)

Rustic... surely you do not need to hide your number plate do you. You always wear your helmet and don't run red lights...SURELY :D

Naturally but as we all know, those are not the only times when cameras could be watching.

The lengths people will go to to avoid wearing a helmet....

Eh!? I don't think you quite understand why people use these kits. And it has nothing to do with wearing helmets.