Helmets Again

Gary A

I fully recognize the better protection of a full face helmet but Have never been able to wear one. The claustrophobic feeling and being too hot badly puts me off.

The Nolan N43 Trilogy may be the answer for me. If I find that I can't stand the chin bar, I can just take it off. The ventilation system looks great. I don't ride very fast so good air circulation is quite important for me.

Has anyone tried this model and if so what do you think of it?

Ever consider a flip face helmet, there are some interesting Bimola helmets that i have seen.

That Nolan looks extra nice though, but the chin guard looks even closer to the face than a traditional full face. Even more claustrophobic?

Here's the Nolan Gary's talking about, nice !

a9b07.jpg

Edited by KRS1

Ever consider a flip face helmet, there are some interesting Bimola helmets that i have seen.

That Nolan looks extra nice though, but the chin guard looks even closer to the face than a traditional full face. Even more claustrophobic?

Here's the Nolan Gary's talking about, nice !

a9b07.jpg

I did look at the flip ups and tried a few on. I think the problem for me is the size of the front opening. The bigger the opening, the less claustrophobic the helmet felt. Unfortunately I have never had my hands on the Nolan and have had no chance to try one on. I did research the Nolan N43 and it has good reviews. There were some complaints that the chin piece was too close to the chin.

I have a full face from index, a cheap open face from Avex and a Real Ozzy open face with a clear visor and a second tinted visor.

I was up in Chiang Mai last week and I found the Apparel shop was has a very large selection and one that caught my fancy may suit you Gary.

The link is here www.helmet2home.com

and the model I liked was this one

Helmet LS2 FF375-generation open it.

Code: 001,266.

THB 2900.00.

It is a full face but you can click the bottom and lift the front over the top to give you a open face.

It also has 2 visors.

Edited for awful spelling

Edited by billd766

I did try on that helmet and it wasn't comfortable. The dealer told me that I probably wouldn't be happy with it anyways because it would be too hot.

The bottom line is that I bought a cheap 1,000 baht Space Crown that is very comfortable and the ventilation is quite good.

A friend of mine sent me a picture of a blue eyed guy who is wide awake and staring straight ahead. His entire jaw is missing. This is the reason I want a new helmet with full face protection. A gruesome picture for sure.

I could post the picture but it would be in poor taste. If you want to see it, I can send it to you.

Edited by Gary A

Dont be so sure you wont lose your jaw with most of these flip face helmets, very few are able to protect you when the latches fail and most of them are plastic latches. Put one on and twist the face part and you will see what I mean. Just get a one piece full face if thats what you prefer for protection.

Dont be so sure you wont lose your jaw with most of these flip face helmets, very few are able to protect you when the latches fail and most of them are plastic latches. Put one on and twist the face part and you will see what I mean. Just get a one piece full face if thats what you prefer for protection.

I was reading a forum about helmets. They were talking about HJC helmets. One guy had an accident, he says that he really had no idea what happened but when he got out of the hospital he sent his helmet to HJC. They sent him a new helmet but no further information. The latch on his modular helmet failed and he had suffered a fractured skull. He said that he had no intention of using the new HJC helmet.

One other guy had a latch failure. He sent pictures of the failed components to HJC. They told him to return the helmet to the dealer so the dealer could submit a report. He did that and the answer he received from HJC was that his two year old helmet was out of warranty and they could do nothing. Apparently the face shield latch is secured by two plastic projections on each side. The latch hook itself is metal but the the small screws had pulled out of the plastic projections. He wasn't impressed either.

I have similar concerns about flip ups and how they'd handle a front impact, most full faces will still touch your mouth in a frontal impact as it is after it flexes.

i have had 5 accidents here in Thailand.. 1st accident a Thai SNELL open face, actually cracked the helmet. lost 3 days of memories (best helmet i could find in Thailand at the time). 2-5 accidents wearing HJC helmets including a flip front and NO PROBLEMS maybe lucky . yes. But compared to the shit available here i would wear a HJC anyday.

Are there better helmets maybe but value for money it's hard to beat a HJC.

For the convenience of a flip front i would still use it against a full face for normal road riding.

Track days would be different... full face all the way.. actually a HJC AC12.

^ wow thats a serious problem with flip ups then, certainly cheap ones. Guess it's not all that trivial to make this...

I bought an expensive Arai flip-up from Red Baron for my wife. She has worn it maybe four or five times. The flip-up mechanism is all shitty plastic and broke -- no crash, no drop, just opening and closing. I haved to get repair parts before it can be worn again. I was quite disappointed; it was one of the most expensive helmets in the shop . . .

It's for sale cheap, if anybody wants it -- PM me.

Edited by TongueThaied

I found another interesting helmet. The Shark Evoline. The chin bar opens up and over the helmet. This makes possible for normal riding without the wind catching the normal raised chin bar. If not for the $400 plus price, it would be a good option to consider. It looks like that configuration would make getting used to a full face helmet much easier.

I read an article written by an EMT saying that full faced solid helmets should be against the law. He is of the opinion that getting a full face helmet off an unconscious rider is VERY difficult and the risk of further injury is quite possible. I had never thought about that.

It appears that everything is a compromise when it comes to helmets.

I found another interesting helmet. The Shark Evoline. The chin bar opens up and over the helmet. This makes possible for normal riding without the wind catching the normal raised chin bar. If not for the $400 plus price, it would be a good option to consider. It looks like that configuration would make getting used to a full face helmet much easier.

I read an article written by an EMT saying that full faced solid helmets should be against the law. He is of the opinion that getting a full face helmet off an unconscious rider is VERY difficult and the risk of further injury is quite possible. I had never thought about that.

It appears that everything is a compromise when it comes to helmets.

That's a good point about removing a full face helmet off an unconscious rider. Some full face helmets now have tabs that allow the cheek pads to be pulled out first, thus making helmet removal easier and safer.

i have had 5 accidents here in Thailand.. 1st accident a Thai SNELL open face, actually cracked the helmet. lost 3 days of memories (best helmet i could find in Thailand at the time). 2-5 accidents wearing HJC helmets including a flip front and NO PROBLEMS maybe lucky . yes. But compared to the shit available here i would wear a HJC anyday.

For the convenience of a flip front i would still use it against a full face for normal road riding.

Remind me to never let you ride in front :blink:

Of those 5 accidents, ever went face first?

Mate that was when i was riding everywhere. about 2,000km per month, night , day ,rain or shine over 4 years.

One accident was when a scooter ran into me as i was pulling out of a drive way, he was going the wrong way. As for landing on my face. I would say that is a VERY MINORITY accident. You would turn your body before you land or put out your hands and roll.

The big problem I have with full face helmets is the loss of my peripheral vision(tunnel vision is all I have with one on), yeah on a race track they might be great but in city traffic you are just asking to get run over. And by the way nothing is tested in thailand and you may think that snell\dot sticker is legit but somchais print shop will print as many as you want.

The big problem I have with full face helmets is the loss of my peripheral vision(tunnel vision is all I have with one on), yeah on a race track they might be great but in city traffic you are just asking to get run over. And by the way nothing is tested in thailand and you may think that snell\dot sticker is legit but somchais print shop will print as many as you want.

You are wrong. The REAL helmets are tested. probably the only Thai made helmet that is.

Mate that was when i was riding everywhere. about 2,000km per month, night , day ,rain or shine over 4 years.

One accident was when a scooter ran into me as i was pulling out of a drive way, he was going the wrong way. As for landing on my face. I would say that is a VERY MINORITY accident. You would turn your body before you land or put out your hands and roll.

Got it mate, for some reason i actually enjoy riding in the rain, sounds weird but i don't know, i like it.

Almost had a close one once, i was on pattanakarn doing about 120kph and an old pick up pulls out of the soi all the way over into the fast lane. At that time the powerband was just starting to kick in on my old NSR and i ended up skidding for at least 25 meters and ended up in the space between the median and truck, thank fully both wheels were still on the ground...lol i ended up skidding right next to the drivers window and looked at his face.

Anyway, glad to here your still in one piece.

WHAT IS THIS REAL HELMET BRAND NAME OH WISE ONE ??? and what is the testing labs name ??? Somchais helmet testing ??? Sorry I wouldnt depend on any helmet bought or made here like any other product having to do with my life. The crap we get sold here no matter what the product is not export quality or safety tested. This has nothing to do with the thai people or a putdown of them as they are stuck with the same crap quality of goods that I am forced to live with.

World Motorcycle Helmet Safety Standards:

DOT - USA standard

ECE 22.05 - European

NBR - Brazilian

CNS - Taiwan

AS 1698-2006 - Australia

SG or JIS - Japan

KS G 7001- Korea

SIRIM - Malaysia

TIS - Thailand

IS 4151 - India

Others?

Voluntary Standards:

Snell - USA

BSI - UK

SHARP - UK

Others? Bicycle helmet standards include ASTM and CPSC in the USA and CE standards in Europe.

WHAT IS THIS REAL HELMET BRAND NAME OH WISE ONE ??? and what is the testing labs name ??? Somchais helmet testing ??? Sorry I wouldnt depend on any helmet bought or made here like any other product having to do with my life. The crap we get sold here no matter what the product is not export quality or safety tested. This has nothing to do with the thai people or a putdown of them as they are stuck with the same crap quality of goods that I am forced to live with.

As you seem incapable of using Google. I will do it for you later when I return to my computer. REAL were DOT Approved. but I believe they are now also testing to ECE spec. I will confirm later. As for your asking what test lab. Do you know HJC 's or any other big name brands testing lab????

Here is a link to a page with some good information about motorcycle helmets:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

That's interesting information. They talk quite a bit about fit. The most comfortable helmet I ever had was an Arthur Fulmer. They had a Thai dealer, Panda, but an email to Panda revealed that he quit selling them a year ago. Fulmer considers fit VERY important so they refuse to sell their helmets mail order. You can only buy a Fulmer from an authorized dealer. I guess that if I want another Fulmer that I will have to wait until my next trip to the US.

As you seem incapable of using Google. I will do it for you later when I return to my computer. REAL were DOT Approved. but I believe they are now also testing to ECE spec. I will confirm later. As for your asking what test lab. Do you know HJC 's or any other big name brands testing lab????

There you go Thunder....http://www.real-helmets.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5&Itemid=3

And YES i am a wise one.. thanks for the compliment :D

I remember seeing a Thai show last year, where they were doing helmet test, and the REAL brand had the highest marks for a Thai made brand. More competition since then though.

So real helmets went over to the dot web page and found the motorcycle helmet classification number and stuck it on their helmets and website lol where is their company certification info from dot or their test results or the name of the lab that did their safety test results on their helmets ??? When you show me some test results for their helmets from an independent test lab I'll believe it. Might as well go buy a 300 baht helmet with a dot sticker on it for 300 baht and claim its certified too.