Helmet From Singapore

Gary A

The bad news is the tax from the Thai customs was 978 baht. The good news is that I am quite lucky because it fits me perfectly. The Nolan N43 Air has the VERY best ventilation of any helmet that I have ever had. The chin piece is hardly noticeable. That makes me comfortable because full face helmets make me claustrophobic. I had decided that if the chin piece bothered me, I would just take it off. As it is, I won't have to remove the chin piece at all.

The drop down sun visor easily operates because the slider is rubber coated and is quite smooth. I would have preferred that it were longer and drop down a little further but it is adequate as is.

I think I made a good choice mainly because of the ventilation. In my opinion. this is the best hot weather helmet that you can get.

The total price was about 7,500 baht plus the 978 baht for customs.

Interesting, so this helmet is a safe as a full face if the chin guard is on?

Can you buy it in Thailand, if yes how much?

According to thaicbr, Dirtshop has this model for 11,500 baht.

The helmet passed the European spec for a full face helmet so that is good enough for me. I think that it is certainly better than no chin guard at all because I can't/won't wear a full face helmet.

As far as fit, my head is a somewhat oval shaped and not round. I was originally looking at Shoei and Arai. Those were too round for my head and were loose on the sides and tight front to back. I bought this one in Large and it is a little snug all the way around. I think it will loosen up a bit after wearing it for a while.

The face shield is supposedly scratch resistant so I didn't buy an extra one. I can order one online if needed and have it within a few days. About 1,200 baht so not cheap.

Today I tried to put my new helmet in the box under the seat of my Yamaha Elegance.

It DOESN'T fit. It's simply too big both width and lengthwise with the chin bar in place. It looks like I'll now be looking for a top box.

Interesting, so this helmet is a safe as a full face if the chin guard is on?

Can you buy it in Thailand, if yes how much?

The helmet passed the European spec for a full face helmet so that is good enough for me. I think that it is certainly better than no chin guard at all because I can't/won't wear a full face helmet.

As far as fit, my head is a somewhat oval shaped and not round. I was originally looking at Shoei and Arai. Those were too round for my head and were loose on the sides and tight front to back. I bought this one in Large and it is a little snug all the way around. I think it will loosen up a bit after wearing it for a while.

The face shield is supposedly scratch resistant so I didn't buy an extra one. I can order one online if needed and have it within a few days. About 1,200 baht so not cheap.

Thanks for that. I sometimes go to Singapore for working, so I might just buy one when I am there and carry it back.

Today I tried to put my new helmet in the box under the seat of my Yamaha Elegance.

It DOESN'T fit. It's simply too big both width and lengthwise with the chin bar in place. It looks like I'll now be looking for a top box.

Hmm, well at least you don't have a sports bike, cos according to the poll, they look gay on sports bikes! :P

Or a PCX.:D

Wow Trans... do you also have one of these fantastic helmets???

Does the PCX really have a bigger box? If it does and the rumors are correct about making the combi brake and auto start/stop optional, I may consider one.

Does the PCX really have a bigger box? If it does and the rumors are correct about making the combi brake and auto start/stop optional, I may consider one.

The storage under the seat is cavernous. The stop/start has an on/off switch on the handle bars, l must say that the start/stop thing is great once you get used to it. Noooooooooooo lag at all. You cannot even hear the thing start up from cold. Very clever engineering. :)

After reading the comments and the reviews, I took a look at the Nolan helmet at Dirt Bike today, and ended up buying one. (10,350 baht after haggling a discount). They only had a limited range of sizes and colors in stock.Apart from the ventilation, it's way lighter than my Shoei MultiTec, and the peripheral visibility is awesome!I needed a spare, anyhow, as the Shoei gets a bit "min min" from getting wet this time of year, so ithe lining needs a good clean and airing.I just need to remember to close the top vents in the Nolan when it's raining!

I'd consider it except it's for round head shapes. Which means not for me :(

What shape is your head? :header:

Oval. Why do you ask?

I managed to buy 2 Arai helmets that don't fit. Both are big enough around (60-61 cm), and both seemed fine in the shop, at least to my own inexperienced self. But if I wear them for longer than 30 minutes, I get a huge headache. Pressure point on the forehead. Expensive lessons.... I ended up with 2 because I tried the most oval of the Arais in the USA and it fit me fine but they didn't have my color. So I went back to Thailand, ordered the same model, and... turns out to be round. Arai makes different shape helmets for different markets, and they have the same model name... oh well. The Arai Profile for the Asian market is rather round, whereas in the west, it's oval.

It probably won't fit under seat of the PCX... unless you have a smaller head than me! :lol: But just stop in a Honda shop or ask a place that rents them and try first

Look at the Shad rear boxes .... Sumet has a good choice. I got the SH 45... that works!

look here, my last post.

Edited by samuijimmy

It probably won't fit under seat of the PCX... unless you have a smaller head than me! :lol: But just stop in a Honda shop or ask a place that rents them and try first

Look at the Shad rear boxes .... Sumet has a good choice. I got the SH 45... that works!

look here, my last post.

Yeh you must have a big head or the UBC antenna on it is the problem, my helmet fits OK but your right, easy to go to a Honda dealer and try it out. :)

Basically double the price of US vendors. DirtShop's a rip off!

Well most Uk shops are a rip off as well cos they cost about 9,xxx there. But i do agree if you can buy it in Singapore for 7,500 then you SHOULD be able to get it here for not a lot more.

It's unfortunate because DirtShop has a great selection of quality gear and I don't mind paying a bit over the odds as they have to pay customs and shipping as well as figure in their profit margin but I once bought an item online from the States and after shipping and customs duty, it still worked out, altogether I paid less than half the price DirtShop were asking.

Anyway, back on topic. That helmet chin guard looks flimsy. Full face for big bikes, I reckon.

And don't those flip-up helmets look g...er....lame?

I think I'll start another poll!

It's unfortunate because DirtShop has a great selection of quality gear and I don't mind paying a bit over the odds as they have to pay customs and shipping as well as figure in their profit margin but I once bought an item online from the States and after shipping and customs duty, it still worked out, altogether I paid less than half the price DirtShop were asking.

Anyway, back on topic. That helmet chin guard looks flimsy. Full face for big bikes, I reckon.

And don't those flip-up helmets look g...er....lame?

I think I'll start another poll!

Flip up's might look ...lame. But if you wear glasses they make life soooo much easier.

PCX storage. :)

post-41816-0-05487900-1313748262_thumb.j post-41816-0-39970600-1313748278_thumb.j

My Space Crown Phoenix fits in the Elegance box. Both are large size but the Nolan is just a bigger helmet. I can shoehorn it in without the visor or chin bar but what's the point? I could remove the chin bar each time and use the inner visor but one reason up here for the full face shield are the huge flying beetles. When you hit one of them, your first thought is that someone threw a rock at you. I hit one of those beetles about every third trip up and down the mountain. Lots of other bugs in the evening too.

• 4 weeks later...
The bad news is the tax from the Thai customs was 978 baht. The good news is that I am quite lucky because it fits me perfectly. The Nolan N43 Air has the VERY best ventilation of any helmet that I have ever had.

I'm in the need of a new helmet size XL or bigger. In Thailand no chance. So I would like to order the 'Nolan N43 Air' from Singapore. But how does it work with the Thai Custums Service? Do I have to travel to BKK and pay it? (I live in Chumphon)

With kind regards

Eddie

The bad news is the tax from the Thai customs was 978 baht. The good news is that I am quite lucky because it fits me perfectly. The Nolan N43 Air has the VERY best ventilation of any helmet that I have ever had.

I'm in the need of a new helmet size XL or bigger. In Thailand no chance. So I would like to order the 'Nolan N43 Air' from Singapore. But how does it work with the Thai Custums Service? Do I have to travel to BKK and pay it? (I live in Chumphon)

With kind regards

Eddie

No, no need to. Depending how they ship, you will either have to pay the tax at the post office when picking it up. Some UPS shipments you will pay the tax to the vendor and they will take care of it.

They gonna get their taxes one way of the other, he-he.

The general answer is yes, but it's based on country of manufacture, not country of shipping.

It varies by product type, but in my business, the average duties on US products are 30%, while products from ASEAN countries are 5%.

I assume it would be similar for motorcycle parts, but not necessarily the same rates, though, I seem to pay around 30% on parts from US, but have never ordered parts from ASEAN countries.

Cheers.

• 4 months later...