Stricter Requirements For Tourist Visa Applicants

The OP clearly said the embassies and consulates have been INSTRUCTED. Do you really know if they have been instructed or not instructed (or if the intention is to instruct, what the timing process will be)? The OP did not say in any way whether the instructions will be followed at all, followed consistently, or followed WHEN, if ever. Again, nobody has proven any falsehood in the OP.

The OP clearly said

FLIGHTS AND HOTEL RESERVATIONS NOW MANDATORY

Stricter requirements for Tourist visa applicants

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok has instructed the Thai Embassies and Consulates abroad to be stricter with requirements when applicants are applying for 60-days Tourist visas for Thailand.

The Royal Thai Embassies, Consulates and Consulates-General will from now require a confirmed airline ticket with flight numbers and date of entry/exit, plus confirmed hotel reservations with name and dates of checking in/out.

Hmmm Jingthing are you the alter ego from George ??? :D

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, it's entirely possible that the OP report of intention -- as Jing puts it -- wasn't ever accurate in the first place... It certainly hasn't been confirmed or clarified as promised, as yet.

Besides, TV readers like having to wade through hundreds of follow-up posts just to find out that what just one OP said had already happened...the consulates had been instructed...hasn't really translated into any change in most places around the world.

Why deprive everyone of such fun... :whistling: Next...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

You're expecting a news item to be like God. It's a report of an intention. The reports of the REALITY -- that's what you may be able to find HERE if you take the effort.

Next ...

jingthing the reality is that now several websites

Publish this OP as confirmed and correct what is not !!!

http://dspoverseas.p...play&thread=577

http://www.travbuddy...hp?id=36936&p=1

http://www.pattaya-f.../visa_news.html

http://www.sawatdee-...nts-t21597.html

http://thailandretir...isa-applicants/

http://thaivest.com/...visa-applicants

http://genefaithisaw...isa-applicants/

Thats the REALITY :P

Next..... :lol:

Edited by sjefrie

I just go back from a run to Laos today, I was not applying for a Tourist Visa...... I applied and got my Non Imm visa, so can only say about others on the bus.... 1st some did not even get on the bus because there paperwork was not correct for a Tourist Visa, they were told to fly out and get 30 days on arriving back in, of use the daily visa run van and get 15 days at boarder..

A number got just 60 days only, but applied for doubles, one lady it was here 1st Tourist Visa but still was only issued with a single.. 2 other both English had TEMP 1 yr passports, both had applied for new passports via H.K. both new passports had got lost on the return from H.K. to Thailand so had to go to all the extra expense of re applying and buying a 1 year TEMP passport, both had work contracts and W.P. paperwork with them, yet were issued with only a single entry 60 day Tourist Visa [ so you can now work on a Tourist Visa ??? well it appears so they were also at a total loss as to why they only got a Tourist Visa ] Both had there old passports with them... Immigration do not transfer stamps to a TEMP Passport, there local Immigration had told them..

One Russian couple he was issued with a double but his wife with only a single Tourist Visa !!!??

This is my last as going back on yearly extensions, but have been on a few of these runs and this was the 1st time so much checking was done before even setting off...

So re many of the above posts, maybe it would be better for people getting new Visas around Asia to ask the different Tours Visa Companies, as the requirements for many were a lot different for Tourist Visa, then 88 days ago when I last went with the same Company

Friend of mine just got back from Phnom Penh.

He got a double-entry tourist visa. Did not go through an agent. He went to the embassy himself.

And his passport is north African.

I don't know if they're trying to generate traffic or what, but I'm really thinking this Thaivisa report was a bit of dubious scaremongering.

Before you start condemning the information found on Thaivisa you had better find out what your North African friend had to submit in order to obtain his double entry tourist visa. North African countries already had to supply proof of return tickets and confirmed accommodation before this most recent announcement.

from what I understand from people in Phnom Penh is that no visas are issued to North Africans , unless they have residence of Cambodia.

My North African friend is back in Thailand with his visa.

Didt they have to show any hotel reservations for there tourist visa ???

No idea..... noticed before people going for Tourist Visa had copy of passport, photo and Application form for Thai Embassy, this time everyone appeared to hand in lots of papers.....

Then at the Thai Embassy in Lao we all sat on the seats the tour drivers [had are passports collected as we were stamped out of Thailand] and took them into the office [staff only] about 1 hr later they came out with an Embassy officer, 3 of the 50 people on this trip had to go with the Officer and one driver into the main building all the rest of us were taken to the hotel.

Yesterday in the afternoon we all went to Friendship bridge, walked straight past Lao boarder control and got on buses, at the Thai Boarder we were all handed our passports back + arrival/departure cards, and as if by magic I had a used Lao Visa and stamped into and out of Laos + a Non Imm Thai Visa in my Passport.

Edited by ignis

I am new to this website. I do apoligise if i am asking this in the wrong thread. I am a UK Citizen, arrived in Bangkok in Aug 2nd 2011, they've given me 30days standard, i didn't apply for any visas or anything. Now i want to extend it until September 15th. How do i go about doing that? Im currently in Bangkok right now. I am staying with a friend, so will i have to show any documents of any sorts?

If you are still here, upon leaving the country you will have to pay a fine at the airport. And don't get caught by the police in the meantime. According to at least another thread, they'll throw you in jail with a dead body and extort Tbaht 30,000 from you.

Here is my recent dealings with Thai Embassy in KL - Submitted yesterday, collected today...

No hotel booking required and also obtained a double entry :)

http://www.thaivisa....t-visa-from-kl/

This is a very good example for a TR application outside of Australia.

Applied in person (not through an agent) at the Thai embassy KL.

Australian citizen.

Now compare this application with other consulates and embassies adjacent or near Thailand.

Your citizenship may be very important in applying for a tourist visa to Thailand.

Thai Embassies and Consulates abroad to be stricter with requirements when applicants are applying for Tourist visas for Thailand.

Does this apply to "Visa Exempt" entry also?

What happens if the tourists are staying with friends?

There is no problem to get a hotel reservation - (you don't have to pay in advance when you know the right place). Does not really matter where you actually stay!

MFA web site

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months

- Visa application form completely filled out

- Recent( 4 x 6 cm.) photograph of the applicant

- Evidence of travel from Thailand (air ticket paid in full)

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

- Consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary

http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2489

More good news from the Department of Redundancy Department!

UPDATE:

I just talked to our contact at MFA again, and I will be granted an phone interview with one of the seniors there at the visa section on Monday and Tuesday next week.

It looks like MFA is very tired of the consulates issuing the wrong type of visas, or applicants are applying for the wrong visa type, to people who are de-facto living here permanently on tourist visas, "TR". They should instead apply for, and be given, a NON-Immigrant visa, but as we all know there is no decent visa class for those under 50 and not married to a Thai, not investors or not having business/ work permit or retired.

The ministry is also concerned that many foreigners here on "TR" is working illegally in the country.

And it looks to me, based on this new info, that this new requirements of flight tickets and hotel booking confirmations for "TR" at this time is targeted to the Embassies and consulates in SE-Asia, but it will be world wide policy shortly. I have not been able to get this confirmed today though.

Hope I can get this sorted and explained to you guys so we can go out with new info in the beginning of next week.

Cheers

George

Stiil no update george ???

The bar-stool wisdom at the expat hangouts in Phnom Penh is that Thailand wants you to be out of their country for a minimum three months before they'll issue you another visa, according to a friend of mine.

Any confirmed legitimacy to this?

The bar-stool wisdom at the expat hangouts in Phnom Penh is that Thailand wants you to be out of their country for a minimum three months before they'll issue you another visa, according to a friend of mine.

no legitimacy to this , as it should be very easy and clear to do this legally..if Thai .authoritys would like so...;,

i just received my double TR entry on 4 sept. at PP just finished my non O 3 month visa (90 days ) .

voluntarely delivred KK bank statement , prepayd card statement & statement monthly income out pension...,

ticket only BKK to PP and return PP to BKK , NO ticket out Thailand ... BUT declared i fwished could deliver this iff they let me know witch visa should (could) be obtained , so i know for the dates...;

I personaly think they realise many under 50 like to stay Thailand whiteout they have income and so create thinking that they would search a way to make money to live in Thailand.!!

!

no legitimacy to this , as it should be very easy and clear to do this legally..if Thai .authoritys would like so...;,

i just received my double TR entry on 4 sept. at PP just finished my non O 3 month visa (90 days ) .

voluntarely delivred KK bank statement , prepayd card statement & statement monthly income out pension...,

ticket only BKK to PP and return PP to BKK , NO ticket out Thailand ... BUT declared i fwished could deliver this iff they let me know witch visa should (could) be obtained , so i know for the dates...;

I personaly think they realise many under 50 like to stay Thailand whiteout they have income and so create thinking that they would search a way to make money to live in Thailand.!!

!

Poi Pet is no longer a reliable place for ANY tourist visa. It's so difficult now, Jack Golf has actually suspended their tourist visa trips to Cambodia for at least the next two weeks.

I was just on a trip with Jack Golf today and 8 guys on their tourist visa runs to Cambodia (Monday and Wednesday) had problems getting tourist visas (just single-entry not double). Three of the guys are still stuck in Poi Pet, even though they were supposed to come back on the bus today. They're also having to pay 1,000 baht a night extra for the hotel while they're stuck there. Needless to say, they are all pissed off beyond belief.

and btw, ALL of the guys had 1) plane ticket out of Thailand, 2) proof of 20,000 baht and 3) confirmed hotel reservations in Thailand for the duration of their stay. This was not good enough for Phnom Penh who told them, with just those they will NOT be given tourist visas.

Edited by bkkjai

!

Poi Pet is no longer a reliable place for ANY tourist visa. It's so difficult now, Jack Golf has actually suspended their tourist visa trips to Cambodia for at least the next two weeks.

I was just on a trip with Jack Golf today and 8 guys on their tourist visa runs to Cambodia (Monday and Wednesday) had problems getting tourist visas (just single-entry not double). Three of the guys are still stuck in Poi Pet, even though they were supposed to come back on the bus today. They're also having to pay 1,000 baht a night extra for the hotel while they're stuck there. Needless to say, they are all pissed off beyond belief.

and btw, ALL of the guys had 1) plane ticket out of Thailand, 2) proof of 20,000 baht and 3) confirmed hotel reservations in Thailand for the duration of their stay. This was not good enough for Phnom Penh who told them, with just those they will NOT be given tourist visas.

as i did not had hotel reservations ...... i delivered a appartment lease for 6 months , stated with a letter in Thai from the office from the building ( thai Gov. property building ) as confirmation lease

BTW witch was age range for the visa runners ? any overstay stamps ?? because now i even do not know anymore .... because even ticket out Thailand........, , what more should be needed ? and why those 3 could not come back at least they could get 15 days stamp

strange :realangry:

!

as i did not had hotel reservations ...... i delivered a appartment lease for 6 months , stated with a letter in Thai from the office from the building ( thai Gov. property building ) as confirmation lease

BTW witch was age range for the visa runners ? any overstay stamps ?? because now i even do not know anymore .... because even ticket out Thailand........, , what more should be needed ? and why those 3 could not come back at least they could get 15 days stamp

strange :realangry:

Apparently, the rules changed in Poi Pet last Monday again, which is after you went - that's why they had problems. Ages between mid-20s to late 50s. Two married to Thais.

They cannot come back because their passports are in Phnom Penh while the Jack Golf rep struggles with the embassy to try to get them tourist visas. He's been there for two days already. Jack Golf said, if he cannot get the tourist visas today, they will all have to come back on 15 day stamps either Saturday or Sunday.

And btw, in case you didn't see my other post in another topic, Jack Golf has now STOPPED all tourist visa trips to Cambodia for at least the next two weeks as they are being informed by the embassy they cannot get them.

The stupidity in Thailand never ends, does it :)

Apparently, the rules changed in Poi Pet last Monday again, which is after you went - that's why they had problems. Ages between mid-20s to late 50s. Two married to Thais.

They cannot come back because their passports are in Phnom Penh while the Jack Golf rep struggles with the embassy to try to get them tourist visas. He's been there for two days already. Jack Golf said, if he cannot get the tourist visas today, they will all have to come back on 15 day stamps either Saturday or Sunday.

And btw, in case you didn't see my other post in another topic, Jack Golf has now STOPPED all tourist visa trips to Cambodia for at least the next two weeks as they are being informed by the embassy they cannot get them.

This started a week before i fly PP it scared me to , that is why i try as much doc. proofs , AND because i booked my flight before already i took the risk , as at least i would give me a 30 days stamp by air coming and time to find other solution if needed ......, but was lucky (agent keo told me because enough doc. and Thai letter statement condo lease , who knows :whistling::rolleyes: :jap: )

first time for me Cambodia .......I. could live/adapt there too in case more Thai problems :)

Edited by david555

This started a wzeek before i fly PP it scared me to , that is why i try as much doc. proofs , AND because i booked my flight before already i took the risk , as at least i would give me a 30 days stamp by air coming and time to find other solution if needed ......, but was lucky (agent keo told me because enough doc. and Thai letter statement condo lease , who knows :whistling::rolleyes: :jap: )

first time for me Cambodia ........ could live/adapt there too in case more Thai problems :)

David, no, actually you're misunderstanding me. What you had is no longer good enough in Phnom Penh, as of just last Monday (five days ago). Last week, Jack Golf had no problems getting tourist visas either. But, all the other guys with Jack Golf this week had exactly the same paperwork as you and they were turned down (on Tuesday and yesterday). The embassy then told them they needed more paperwork in addition to what you already had.

It's typical Thai embassy though. Each one seems to make things up as they go along. They just love making it difficult for tourists and damaging Thailand's reputation. Blows the mind :)

This started a wzeek before i fly PP it scared me to , that is why i try as much doc. proofs , AND because i booked my flight before already i took the risk , as at least i would give me a 30 days stamp by air coming and time to find other solution if needed ......, but was lucky (agent keo told me because enough doc. and Thai letter statement condo lease , who knows :whistling::rolleyes: :jap: )

first time for me Cambodia ........ could live/adapt there too in case more Thai problems :)

David, no, actually you're misunderstanding me. What you had is no longer good enough in Phnom Penh, as of just last Monday (five days ago). Last week, Jack Golf had no problems getting tourist visas either. But, all the other guys with Jack Golf this week had exactly the same paperwork as you and they were turned down (on Tuesday and yesterday). The embassy then told them they needed more paperwork in addition to what you already had.

It's typical Thai embassy though. Each one seems to make things up as they go along. They just love making it difficult for tourists and damaging Thailand's reputation. Blows the mind :)

THen i must go to Budha place for merit i think :D :jap:

only my pasport is new one with only that non o 3 months in it visa from Thai consulate in my country ( i fly always one time a year to my country back , this PP visa is my first one in South East Asia , all others before from my country (3 years Thailand in Old passport ;) now good (with 2 x extensions until 1 march , booked flight P already , if needed shall fly 2 times PP, as i need to be back for 1 month in home country by half May checking my other life there :)

Don't complain too much. Try getting a tourist visa to visit USA, NZ or Australia if you're Thai or other SE Asian. That will definitely blow your mind. I've just gone through it.

Don't complain too much. Try getting a tourist visa to visit USA, NZ or Australia if you're Thai or other SE Asian. That will definitely blow your mind. I've just gone through it.

And also, as has been said elsewhere, the consulates APPEAR to be applying one set of rules to locals and another set to foreigners.

So that Brits, Americans and Europeans applying in Phnom Penh do not APPEAR to be genuine tourists - they APPEAR to be people living in Thailand on Tourist Visas.

Whereas Brits applying in Hull APPEAR to be genuine tourists.

Before the flames start please note that I'm not judging, just observing. :(

And also, as has been said elsewhere, the consulates APPEAR to be applying one set of rules to locals and another set to foreigners.

So that Brits, Americans and Europeans applying in Phnom Penh do not APPEAR to be genuine tourists - they APPEAR to be people living in Thailand on Tourist Visas.

Whereas Brits applying in Hull APPEAR to be genuine tourists.

Before the flames start please note that I'm not judging, just observing. :(

Hey, and your observation would be correct if it wasn't for the fact that Hull has also clamped down on tourist visas. :)They're no longer giving many of them (even to Brits applying from Hull) nor are they any longer giving things like Non-Imm O's for people who are visiting friends, something you could get easily up until a month ago.

The problem with the way this stuff is applied is, as is usual in Thailand, no common sense is used. For instance, I haven't worked in Thailand in almost five years, although I've lived here much of the time on tourist visas and, yeah, I'm a tourist. Don't work here, just live and travel. But....if any official at a Thai embassy took 10 seconds to look at my bank statements from the UK, they'd see quickly I obviously don't work here, as I bring around 100-150,000 baht into Thailand every month. Wouldn't need to do that if I was working :)

But, no mind. Like I said, Malaysia likes tourists who have money and don't mind spending it, I'll just go there for a while and then back to Europe. Would actually prefer to spend my money in a country where we're not treated like second-class citizens anyway. Farangs will never have any security in Thailand, whether its in jobs, financial affairs, property purchases or anything else you would get in most developed countries and many other Asian ones now. At heart, Thais and the Thai government are nothing but xenophobes. They want our money but would prefer it fhey didn't have to put up with us. I'm more than happy to oblige them, except my money will be going with me, LOL.

This isn't true in all cases. My girlfriend, who is Thai, was granted a 10-year tourist visa for the USA in 2007, when all she really needed to do was transit at LAX to a Latin American country. So... for the next 6 years, she can come and go as she pleases. She tells me aside from the nuisance of having to visit Fortress America on Wireless (as most of us US citizens who live / frequent BKK do), there wasn't much to it.

If i don't get any tourist visa at all in Pnom pen, -do i get 30 days on arrival at koh kong ?

Also, my hotel, do i have to make a new contract that binds me to pay rent for the next 6 months ?

or can i just show my contract when i started rent here over a year ago with 1 month cancel time ?