Thai Visa Increase In Us

Thanks for sharing.

To clarify, it is an adjustment of the exchange rate. The price of the visa is set by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Thai baht. But they are charged in local currency and from time to time the exhange rate is adjusted.

Thanks for sharing.

To clarify, it is an adjustment of the exchange rate. The price of the visa is set by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in Thai baht. But they are charged in local currency and from time to time the exhange rate is adjusted.

Can you post a link supporting that explanation?

$175 -> $200 is a 14%+ increase. The USD is actually stronger against the baht than any time in more than a year.

Your 'clarification' doesn't wash, I'm afraid...

Thanks for sharing.

$175 -> $200 is a 14%+ increase. The USD is actually stronger against the baht than any time in more than a year.

The price of a visa is about 6000baht, at todays exchange rate that is 200USD using around 30 Bht to 1 dollar, more than 8 months ago the same priced visa would have cost 175 USD, exchange rate of 35baht per dollar.

The prices are set in BAHT by the MFA and then changed into the local currency by the respective consulates and embassies.

Thanks for sharing.

It's weaker not stronger.

Thanks for sharing.

Not to belabor the point, but look at today's exchange rate. It's 30.07 as I type this, and hasn't been NEAR 35 in the past year, mostly hovering around 29.9. Ergo, as of today, the dollar is STRONGER against the baht than it has been in quite some time, and the exchange rate hasn' seen a difference of 14%, unless you go all the way back to June 2009.

Not that they aren't entitled to raise the prices to whatever they want. But to assert authoritatively that it is an 'exchange rate adjustment' is nonsense. Or post a link, and prove me wrong.

When was the last increase and what was the exchange rate then?

if they last changed in 2009 the exchange rate was 33.345 then the visa would have cost 179USD

By using your exchange rate from today 6000 divided by 30.07 (if this is the exchange rate they use) = 199.53USD

Edited by beano2274

Average Rates 2009

January 34.9117 THB (21 days average) February 35.3221 THB (20 days average)

March 35.7708 THB (22 days average) April 35.4476 THB (22 days average)

May 34.6437 THB (21 days average) June 34.1341 THB (22 days average)

July 34.0507 THB (23 days average) August 34.0227 THB (21 days average)

September 33.8163 THB (22 days average) October 33.4116 THB (22 days average)

November 33.2798 THB (21 days average) December 33.2199 THB (22 days average)

Average Rates 2010

January 33.0363 THB (20 days average) February 33.1438 THB (20 days average)

March 32.5097 THB (23 days average) April 32.2915 THB (22 days average)

May 32.4029 THB (21 days average) June 32.4663 THB (22 days average)

July 32.3213 THB (22 days average) August 31.7549 THB (21 days average)

September 30.8177 THB (22 days average) October 29.9592 THB (21 days average)

November 29.889 THB (22 days average) December 30.1094 THB (23 days average)

Edited by beano2274

Thanks for sharing.

Not to belabor the point, but look at today's exchange rate. It's 30.07 as I type this, and hasn't been NEAR 35 in the past year, mostly hovering around 29.9. Ergo, as of today, the dollar is STRONGER against the baht than it has been in quite some time, and the exchange rate hasn' seen a difference of 14%, unless you go all the way back to June 2009.

Not that they aren't entitled to raise the prices to whatever they want. But to assert authoritatively that it is an 'exchange rate adjustment' is nonsense. Or post a link, and prove me wrong.

I'm afraid you've got your currency strengths and weaknesses logic reversed! If the USD were stronger it would buy larger numbers of THB, not less - using your logic the USD would be super strong if one Dollar only bought one Baht and of course that is incorrect.

Which do you think represents a stronger US Dollar to Thai Baht:

1) 1 USD = 50 THB

2) 1 USD = 10 THB

If you chose number 2 above, please explain your logic.

Thanks for sharing.

The price of a visa is about 6000baht, at todays exchange rate that is 200USD using around 30 Bht to 1 dollar, more than 8 months ago the same priced visa would have cost 175 USD, exchange rate of 35baht per dollar.

The prices are set in BAHT by the MFA and then changed into the local currency by the respective consulates and embassies.

Please provide a link to the MFA site section where the visa price is quoted as 'about 6000 baht'. Also, where does it say the price was last changed in 2009? And where, other than in Mario2008's mind, does it mention that it is a currency adjustment?

Here is the link to Yahoo finance USD/THB historical rates, http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=USDTHB=X+Interactive#symbol=USDTHB=X;range=2y.

On the other hand, if you wish, you win. TV is the loser.

I'm afraid you've got your currency strengths and weaknesses logic reversed! If the USD were stronger it would buy larger numbers of THB, not less - using your logic the USD would be super strong if one Dollar only bought one Baht and of course that is incorrect.

1) 1 USD = 50 THB

2) 1 USD = 10 THB

Please take the time to read my post. Again, as of today, the dollar purchases over 30 baht. For quite some time, it purchased LESS than 30, about 29.8. Therefore, the dollar (recently) has STRENGTHENED against the baht.

Really, pull your head out.

Thanks for sharing.

Please provide a link to the MFA site section where the visa price is quoted as 'about 6000 baht'. Also, where does it say the price was last changed in 2009? And where, other than in Mario2008's mind, does it mention that it is a currency adjustment?

Here is the link to Yahoo finance USD/THB historical rates, http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=USDTHB=X+Interactive#symbol=USDTHB=X;range=2y.

Please read my post again, I said IF they last changed the price in 2009 (if is a small word with a big meaning)

This link is from the MFA website is states 5000baht as the price, but not sure when it was last updated.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2492

Just as another note, the UK Embassy in Thailand changed the costs of its consular services because of the exchange rate fluctuation. And am pretty sure the American Embassy has also done this recently.

From the US Embassy BKK website

Schedule of Fees for Consular Services

The Consular Section accepts payment in U.S. dollars, Thai baht, and by credit card. The fees, listed below, are in U.S. dollars. Fees in Thai baht are calculated using the official exchange rate at the Embassy. This rate is periodically recalculated to reflect the actual exchange rate between the dollar and the baht.

So the US Consulate in America would also use its own exchange rate, not what the bank offer

Edited by beano2274

1) 1 USD = 50 THB

2) 1 USD = 10 THB

Please take the time to read my post. Again, as of today, the dollar purchases over 30 baht. For quite some time, it purchased LESS than 30, about 29.8. Therefore, the dollar (recently) has STRENGTHENED against the baht.

Why dont you contact the Consulate and find out when they last changed the visa fees, am sure like most others it was more than a year ago.

Here is the link to Yahoo finance USD/THB historical rates, http://finance.yahoo...DTHB=X;range=2y.

Please read my post again, I said IF they last changed the price in 2009 (if is a small word with a big meaning)

This link is from the MFA website is states 5000baht as the price, but not sure when it was last updated.

http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2492

Just as another note, the UK Embassy in Thailand changed the costs of its consular services because of the exchange rate fluctuation. And am pretty sure the American Embassy has also done this recently.

Well, if Grandma had balls, she'd be Grandpa. And, again, please post something, other than conjecture, that the increase was due to the exchange rate fluctuations. And, although 5 is a small number, it isn't 6, is it?

Good try. I'm out.

Here is the link to Yahoo finance USD/THB historical rates, http://finance.yahoo...DTHB=X;range=2y.

http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2492

Well, if Grandma had balls, she'd be Grandpa. And, again, please post something, other than conjecture, that the increase was due to the exchange rate fluctuations. And, although 5 is a small number, it isn't 6, is it?

Good try. I'm out.

Read my post about the US Embassy in Bangkok about how it changes the costs of things because of exchange rate fluctuations.

When you find yourself in a hole, better stop digging.

At least I understand that prices are gonna increase or decrease for Visas, because of exchange rates going up and down.

Am quite glad as my UK Passport actually cost me less, because of the change in Exchange rates.

But what do I care about the cost of a Visa to stay in Thailand, I live here and do not need to get one.

Edited by beano2274

On 7 Aug 2008 I paid $175 for my O-A Retirement Visa (Multiple Entry). I'm looking at the receipt right now. So, from 7 Aug 08 to 2 Oct 11 (over 3 years), this equates approx to a 4.6% annualized increase. And I expect that 4.6% annualized increase is a high, incorrect number since I don't know how long before 7 Aug 2008 the fee had been at $175 and I should be doing this annualized from some period before 7 Aug 08 which would make the annualized rate smaller.

Well, I don't think anyone likes seeing fee increases due to inflation, exchange rates, higher pay for employees, or whatever, but this fee increase don't seem out-of-line when I compare it against all the moans and groans I seen in other ThaiVisa posts where some home country embassies have raised their fees "quite significantly." Like the U.S. Embassy last year raising the cost of the annual income affidavit or notary fee per document from $30 to $50 (a 67% increase).

1) 1 USD = 50 THB

2) 1 USD = 10 THB

Spend some time checking facts and then decide who's head needs to be pulled out! Here, this will help you learn and hopefully stop all the nonsense.

http://www.oanda.com/currency/historical-rates/

I donot think it matters why or what they use for determing the cost adjustment, if you want the visa you will pay the price. Very cheap compared to getting long term stay in the States I doubt they use todays exchange rates to determine the increase in the cost of a visa.

Edited by moe666

When I can land at the airport for free and travel to with in an hour of Nong Khai, cross the border and get my next 3 months for less than 4000 baht why should I care. That is 4 months for $145.

While we are off the topic, I can get my one year O-A visa extension for ฿1,900. $63.50 at today's TT rate. All the visa fees are going up according to the Thai Embassy Washington DC. Single entry Non Imm is going from $65 to $80, mutli from $175 to $200 as previously stated. Even a tourist is going up from $35 to $40.

Only here can a very small thing be turned to <deleted> for whatever reason. The guy's telling us what he read and he "get's it" for it! I often wonder if I would dare try to help on here at times.

The OP was thanked for the information in post 2, other than that noone has made any comments directed towards the OP in this thread. The rest is a discussion between other posters about whether this is a price increase or an adjustment of exchange rates. So to say that the OP "get's it" just isn't correct.

Sophon

On 7 Aug 2008 I paid $175 for my O-A Retirement Visa (Multiple Entry). I'm looking at the receipt right now. So, from 7 Aug 08 to 2 Oct 11 (over 3 years), this equates approx to a 4.6% annualized increase. And I expect that 4.6% annualized increase is a high, incorrect number since I don't know how long before 7 Aug 2008 the fee had been at $175 and I should be doing this annualized from some period before 7 Aug 08 which would make the annualized rate smaller.

Well, I don't think anyone likes seeing fee increases due to inflation, exchange rates, higher pay for employees, or whatever, but this fee increase don't seem out-of-line when I compare it against all the moans and groans I seen in other ThaiVisa posts where some home country embassies have raised their fees "quite significantly." Like the U.S. Embassy last year raising the cost of the annual income affidavit or notary fee per document from $30 to $50 (a 67% increase).

I got my Non Imm O at the Thai Consulate in New Orleans in February of this year 2011 and paid 175 US also as I did the year before and the year before and the year before. I guess if it is 200 when I go in Feb 2012 then I will give em the 200 and be happy to have my visa. Safe travels all! Either it will be the same as before or it won't. I really don't mind an extra 25 bucks. Few blocks cab fare in the states eh?

I got my Non Imm O at the Thai Consulate in New Orleans in February of this year 2011 and paid 175 US also as I did the year before and the year before and the year before. I guess if it is 200 when I go in Feb 2012 then I will give em the 200 and be happy to have my visa. Safe travels all! Either it will be the same as before or it won't. I really don't mind an extra 25 bucks. Few blocks cab fare in the states eh?

Just wondering why you don't just get a visa extension and a re entry permit? It's a lot less paperwork and a bit less money than a new visa every year. I used to get a new visa every year too, but I've been doing extensions for the past several years, just seems easier.

All this discussion about the USD/BATH exchange rate seems quite sterile to me.Point is that they want to double tourist arrival (Miracle Thailnd campaign)AND at the same theuyincrease the Visa fee AND at the same time they strenghten tourist visa regulations.Does not make any sense, aside from the fact if the increase in visa fee is ' legitimate' or not.

Thanks for sharing.

All this discussion about the USD/BATH exchange rate seems quite sterile to me.Point is that they want to double tourist arrival (Miracle Thailnd campaign)AND at the same theuyincrease the Visa fee AND at the same time they strenghten tourist visa regulations.Does not make any sense, aside from the fact if the increase in visa fee is ' legitimate' or not.

Actually, for a bona fide tourist for whom a visa might be a once-per-lifetime issue, I don't think the changes will really deter them. PLUS, I'd think most tourists, from developed countries at least, enter on 30-day visa-exempt entries, no?

The changes DO, however, affect those non-tourists who use tourist visas to stay here long-term. And, those are exactly the people the changes are targeting, IMHO.