Any Self-Start Opportunities In Se Asia For Someone With Low Funds?

kapper

Yes my funds are low. No I have not at all been a partier, simply have been getting by for 8 years while in Asia, paying the rent, food, and getting around. I am certain that I want to start my life anew at this point. I no longer want to work for anyone else, and want to leave behind what I've been doing until now. Not only for obvious reasons but equally important, for once I really want to make something of myself. Looking for change, sure of that.

I am 40 but seem more like early 30s. Single and completely free. Have been reading various literature. Currently reading Bill Heinecke's book "21 rules." Fairly enjoyable, but he started out in the 60s when only a grand or two was ok... Have read Poor Dad in the past and found it all to be simple sense, no "how" or "what to do" at all. Have read some academic stuff on entrepreneurship and it says "don't wait until you have lots of money - start to put ideas together and build as soon as possible." Some other marketed motivational literature doesn't say more than "keep asking questions." So that's where I am. If I could find something even worth the effort, I'd give it 18 hour days and hard work, but as of yet still searching for what a completely single, able-bodied male in Asia can undertake.

Hi,

Good for you !!! I am in a pretty similar situation myself - with a difference, I left Thailand after a long period and want to come back to live in Thailand.

I have a profession, I'm a computer programmer/team leader and at my home country I can work for more than enough money - but I had enough of that - I want a different life - same as you.

I have found some opportunities when I was in Thailand for businesses - but nothing that will keep you at a decent life level without a rather substantial initial investment.

If you will find something, please let me know too - so we can share ideas.

p.s. Now I'm trying my way in internet marketing, and even with all my knowledge at programming and my background - I still find it immensely hard and so far I can only make very very very small money - less than 50$ a month.

Don't loose your urge - with determination you described you should be find in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

The ideas I have thought about are:

1) property management

2) consulting services companies

3) blogging

4) photography

5) ebay

Yulypis, will send you a quick PM.

My recommendation to anyone is to have many thousands of dollars saved up before making it to (or back to) SE Asia / Bangkok, and set a stop-loss limit once here. Problem for me is that going back to my home country would deplete the last of my resources. Here in SE Asia I'm paying food and rent ok, going back to the West, air ticket taxis and apartment, would use up my money quickly, and prospects back home are also limited. I'm forced to build anything here. After eight straight years here, and speaking one other language (no, not Thai, Japanese) I'd like to make that work out. I have zero interest in Japan however, and that place is even more expensive than home.

Some books I've been reading are 10 Day MBA by Steven Silbiger, fairly good run down of most of the aspects of running a business, especially one that's fully functional and has at least a few employees. There's a free book on the net, Science of Getting Rich, an excellent pdf copy can be had here --> www.xtrememind.com/science.pdf ... (if thaivisa chops up that link, just type book name into google and add the letters pdf, and the free copy shows up #1 spot on google search.)

Among other books I've been reading are Think and Grow by Hill. They all say that it doesn't necessarily take wealth to make wealth, better to think and develop ideas now and not wait. In his book "Law of Success" he states that no matter where you are, whenever, there's a creative idea to be made and carried out now, or words to that effect.

The ideas I have thought about are:

1) property management

2) consulting services companies

3) blogging

4) photography

5) ebay

Yulypis, will send you a quick PM.

My recommendation to anyone is to have many thousands of dollars saved up before making it to (or back to) SE Asia / Bangkok, and set a stop-loss limit once here. Problem for me is that going back to my home country would deplete the last of my resources. Here in SE Asia I'm paying food and rent ok, going back to the West, air ticket taxis and apartment, would use up my money quickly, and prospects back home are also limited. I'm forced to build anything here. After eight straight years here, and speaking one other language (no, not Thai, Japanese) I'd like to make that work out. I have zero interest in Japan however, and that place is even more expensive than home.

Some books I've been reading are 10 Day MBA by Steven Silbiger, fairly good run down of most of the aspects of running a business, especially one that's fully functional and has at least a few employees. There's a free book on the net, Science of Getting Rich, an excellent pdf copy can be had here --> www.xtrememind.com/science.pdf ... (if thaivisa chops up that link, just type book name into google and add the letters pdf, and the free copy shows up #1 spot on google search.)

Among other books I've been reading are Think and Grow by Hill. They all say that it doesn't necessarily take wealth to make wealth, better to think and develop ideas now and not wait. In his book "Law of Success" he states that no matter where you are, whenever, there's a creative idea to be made and carried out now, or words to that effect.

My MBA (two years at a university rather than a ten-day online course) has certainly helped me starting my own business, after having been an employee in the field for over 20 years.

You really make it sound easy to open your own business. It isn't. You have to understand not only business but also culture, and you need to be good in your field. That's three factors.

I have seen many foreigners fail and others succed in Thailand.

• 4 weeks later...

My partner and I have limited funds and we want to set up a small business making audio equipment by hand and selling it as handy crafts rather than electronics. One possible sales venue would be souvenir shops. I am from USA and design our sound systems. I am positive that my units provide superior sound to commercially available ones; there is know-how and techniques that make it possible.

We feel the odds are against us. We are dependent on finding a partner/investor in Thailand to help us set up our shop. I've worked with electronics for many years and know how to set up and organize a tiny lab (apartment room) where we can manufacture. How to find the partner we need - I don't know, maybe this forum may help?

PM for product details. Thank You!