Home Cinema?

upanddown

Does anyone have any recommendations for home cinema systems? I have £1k to spend but I want to do it wisely. I want to be able to play Video CDs and MP3s I have burnet to DVD. I have been on the Sony site and discovered the dav x1 meets my needs, even in terms of coolness! I want the cinema experience in my home, so if anyone has one of these or an opinion leave your message below.

My friend back home just took a normal projector (like the kind used at business conferences and that can be had for less than 80K baht these days), hooked it up to his computer via an infrared receiver and aimed it at a big patch of white wall in his living room.

Worked brilliantly. Excellent resolution and a 2 meter screen. He also had surround sound wired up via his stereo system, so its possible to build an excellent home cinema system from many different components.

Once you see the Superbowl or Lord of the Rings on a set-up like that, you'll wonder how you ever suffered watching movies on those dinky little square boxes.

Does anyone have any recommendations for home cinema systems? I have £1k to spend but I want to do it wisely. I want to be able to play Video CDs and MP3s I have burnet to DVD. I have been on the Sony site and discovered the dav x1 meets my needs, even in terms of coolness! I want the cinema experience in my home, so if anyone has one of these or an opinion leave your message below.

I'm guessing you are just talking about sound, If so I wouldn't bother with one of those all in one systems - A proper surround setup would blow it out of the water.

70,000 Baht would get you a decent Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo or Denon Amp (say 25k) a 5 speaker system (Mordaunt short, Mission etc..) (20k) a subwoofer (12k) and still have money left over for a DVD player that will play anything thrown at it.

The all-in-one systems from Sony, Philips, LG etc... will give you surround sound, but it won't sound much like a cinema.

I'm guessing you are just talking about sound, If so I wouldn't bother with one of those all in one systems - A proper surround setup would blow it out of the water.

70,000 Baht would get you a decent Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo or Denon Amp (say 25k) a 5 speaker system (Mordaunt short, Mission etc..) (20k) a subwoofer (12k) and still have money left over for a DVD player that will play anything thrown at it.

The all-in-one systems from Sony, Philips, LG etc... will give you surround sound, but it won't sound much like a cinema.

not to derail the OP's thread, but any recommendations of good places to shop for audio hardware in Bangkok? i'll be heading over soon and will be bringing my trusty NEC LT240 DLP projector along for home theatre usage (being fed from a computer via VGA) but will be in the market for audio hardware once i arrive... would be nice to have some leads on good places to shop for quality equipment and loudspeakers in advance from any who have already run the gauntlet as it were..