Why The Hate

Banzai99

There is no doubt that Thailand has many faults. I can't see that anyone is denying that. When it comes to the point that the faults outweigh the good, it is definitely time to leave. That brings up the important question. Why are some of you still here? As for myself, I am content for the first time in my life and have no intention of leaving.

Thailand is a great place to live provided that you have money. If you can't afford to live here, you should have worked longer in your home country and not decided to try to live on a pittance. Only you can provide for your future. No one else cares and there is no good fairy here to pull you out of a situation that you created. Reasonably intelligent people should refuse to allow themselves to be ripped off.

"Thailand is a great place to live provided that you have money. If you can't afford to live here, you should have worked longer in your home country and not decided to try to live on a pittance"

By far the most bitter westerners are the ones living day to day. Doesnt matter where you are life is difficult trying to live on frightened money.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some folks probably feel darkside of the force type hate and anger because there are a lot of folks that 'pitch' that it's so cheap to live here. Sure, it's true in some aspects, but when you dig a little deeper... you find that yeah, it's cheap if you want to tread water and live like a serf (and in many cases, a very comfortable serf)... but if you want your kids to go to school, own swaths of real estate, to run businesses, etc... it's not so cheap. And then when you want to make some moves to better your life, you find that you're in a very warm and comfortable pit of quicksand, for others who picked the wrong local friends/partners/spouses, it's a warm bucket of excrement.

:)

If you confine yourself to only English-speaking Thai women, for example, you're narrowing yourself to a very small subset of Thai women, and usually not the most attractive or trustworthy.

Extraordinary!

Have I got this right .............

1. English-speaking Thai women are "usually" less "attractive" than Thai women who don't speak English.

2. English-speaking Thai women are "usually" less "trustworthy" than Thai women who don't speak English.

To the PattaniMan, you can believe what you will and it really, really doesn't bother me even a little bit--I'm just telling you how it is. I'd always advise friends who are serious about finding a long-term Thai mate that it would be of immense benefit to learn Thai. In that small subset of Thai girls who do speak English, it's shark infested waters. The ones that are really educated (and I mean earn their post-grads abroad) mostly aren't interested in farangs. Those that are left (and there aren't that many English-speaking Thai girls out there to begin with) know that they're a prized commodity. The smart ones know that if they play their cards right, they can have about a half-dozen farangs on a string. Why would they settle for one? The word is out and has been for a long time.

Over the weekend I went shopping at Big-C here in Pattani. I wanted to buy some almonds. While I was looking, a little Muslim girl came up to me and asked if I needed any help. She was wearing glasses; she had the ubiquitous black head scarf; and she spoke English with a kind of neutral mid-Atlantic accent. Do you think she considered herself a "prized commodity"? She seemed quite "smart", so how many farang boyfriends do you think she was stringing along? Six? Seven? Maybe eight?

I went back to Big-C yesterday to buy a checkers board. But the cashier couldn't put it through the till as it didn't have a bar code. I took it from her and explained that I'd go and get another one. At that point, the women behind me in the queue said:

1. take your time

2. don't rush

3. try to find one with a bar code.

You see, they too spoke English. Do you think they also considered themselves prized commodities? And how many farang boyfriends do you think they were stringing along?

On a personal level, I level here in Pattani with my girlfriend who is a Thai Buddhist. She's university educated, speaks English, and has amazing hair. So how many secret farang boyfriends do you think she has? And do you think the fact that she speaks English makes her less attractive than her work colleagues who don't?

------------------------------------------------------------------

My guess is that you've spent way too much time chatting to English-speaking girls in tourist zones, at red light districts, and on second rate dating sites. You come across as jaded and cynical.

What a great comment!!!!!!!!!!

1. English-speaking Thai women are "usually" less "attractive" than Thai women who don't speak English.

2. English-speaking Thai women are "usually" less "trustworthy" than Thai women who don't speak English.

To the PattaniMan, you can believe what you will and it really, really doesn't bother me even a little bit--I'm just telling you how it is. I'd always advise friends who are serious about finding a long-term Thai mate that it would be of immense benefit to learn Thai. In that small subset of Thai girls who do speak English, it's shark infested waters. The ones that are really educated (and I mean earn their post-grads abroad) mostly aren't interested in farangs. Those that are left (and there aren't that many English-speaking Thai girls out there to begin with) know that they're a prized commodity. The smart ones know that if they play their cards right, they can have about a half-dozen farangs on a string. Why would they settle for one? The word is out and has been for a long time.

Over the weekend I went shopping at Big-C here in Pattani. I wanted to buy some almonds. While I was looking, a little Muslim girl came up to me and asked if I needed any help. She was wearing glasses; she had the ubiquitous black head scarf; and she spoke English with a kind of neutral mid-Atlantic accent. Do you think she considered herself a "prized commodity"? She seemed quite "smart", so how many farang boyfriends do you think she was stringing along? Six? Seven? Maybe eight?

I went back to Big-C yesterday to buy a checkers board. But the cashier couldn't put it through the till as it didn't have a bar code. I took it from her and explained that I'd go and get another one. At that point, the women behind me in the queue said:

1. take your time

2. don't rush

You see, they too spoke English. Do you think they also considered themselves prized commodities? And how many farang boyfriends do you think they were stringing along?

On a personal level, I level here in Pattani with my girlfriend who is a Thai Buddhist. She's university educated, speaks English, and has amazing hair. So how many secret farang boyfriends do you think she has? And do you think the fact that she speaks English makes her less attractive than her work colleagues who don't?

My guess is that you've spent way too much time chatting to English-speaking girls in tourist zones, at red light districts, and on second rate dating sites. You come across as jaded and cynical.

my experience of expats is largely drawn from work....and extensive travel around Thailand

So you're stereotyping based on your experiences? Fair enough. And in your experience, most farang men are misogynists and racists?

I'm not stereotyping - you are drawing that inference - presumably because you are incapable of forming a proper response.....and you are living up to your own "stereotype"!.

Not stereotyping? What about this:-

Incapable of forming normal relationships they flood to Thailand where their "wealth" enables them to buy the things that were denied them by their own society which shuns their "type".

Here they can live out a fantasy that is essentially misogynistic and racist in nature and panders to their over simplistic untutored view of the world.

Conclusion: You are stereotyping.

The problem with the cynics on TV is they've spent way too much time in the tourist zones; I get jaded after a day in Pattaya never mind trying to live there.

People get frustrated, it's natural.

Also some people would rather be in their home country but they choose to sacrifice that to be with the person they love.

That's why I'm here. Although I do have Thai friends and see where the Thai point of view is coming from sometimes I still get frustrated because I don't like being looked at as if my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not Thai.

My opinion of being here goes back and forth.

Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. This seemed to be the case in other places I've lived too. I loved NYC but I hated working all the time for long hours.

I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand and they need to start threads constantly stating "If you don't like it here, THEN LEAVE!" etc...

clap2.gif

1. take your time

2. don't rush

Like I said, PM, there are always exceptions. For every one exception you find, I can find ten that supports my contention. But like I also said, believe what you will. Matters not to me. And if you're advising your farang friends to only look for Thai girls that speak English....good luck to them. A good number will be heading for trainwrecks. But hey, more choice options for me....:rolleyes:

I guess I can see why Thais in general wouldn't be very happy about seeing so many beautiful and young (relatively anyway) Thai women being married to old, overweight "falongs".

I doubt most foreigners would be too happy about their sisters, daughters, and ex-wives being caught up in the same situation in their own home countries.

It's bound to create some resentment.

Sorry Rick, but the Thai girls that "falangs" marry/date are not desired by Thai guys at all.

Thai guys don't want girls with dark skin, Thai guys don't want girls with children, Thai guys don't want girls older than 25, Thai guys don't marry prostitutes.

There is no resentment in the equation. We get the dregs that no Thai guy would dream of touching.

Ludditeman is pretty spot on. RickThai, did you just arrive in Thailand, like, yesterday?

Also some people would rather be in their home country but they choose to sacrifice that to be with the person they love.

That's why I'm here. Although I do have Thai friends and see where the Thai point of view is coming from sometimes I still get frustrated because I don't like being looked at as if my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not Thai.

Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. This seemed to be the case in other places I've lived too. I loved NYC but I hated working all the time for long hours.

I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand and they need to start threads constantly stating "If you don't like it here, THEN LEAVE!" etc...

:clap2:

:clap2:+2

clap2.gif

The problem is not that a person can sometimes see a problem or being frustrated, the problem is that a lot of people, and many of them tend to be here on this forum, constantly complain, complain, complain, and complain.

I have met A LOT of westerners who seem to have one hobby when they get together, complain about thais and thai society.

I guess I can see why Thais in general wouldn't be very happy about seeing so many beautiful and young (relatively anyway) Thai women being married to old, overweight "falongs".

I doubt most foreigners would be too happy about their sisters, daughters, and ex-wives being caught up in the same situation in their own home countries.

It's bound to create some resentment.

Sorry Rick, but the Thai girls that "falangs" marry/date are not desired by Thai guys at all.

Thai guys don't want girls with dark skin, Thai guys don't want girls with children, Thai guys don't want girls older than 25, Thai guys don't marry prostitutes.

There is no resentment in the equation. We get the dregs that no Thai guy would dream of touching.

Ludditeman is pretty spot on. RickThai, did you just arrive in Thailand, like, yesterday?

Thai guys don't marry prostitutes. They marry them then, turn them into prostitutes.

We get the dregs tht no Thai guy would dream of touching. Where do you get your women from.

jb1

... The ones that are really educated (and I mean earn their post-grads abroad) mostly aren't interested in farangs.

OMG! A newer, better species of the hi-so Thai-Chinee uni graduate has just been defined. Some of the forum members who have invested in a Chula or Mahidol specimen will be truly gutted at this startling revelation.

Those that are left (and there aren't that many English-speaking Thai girls out there to begin with) know that they're a prized commodity.

And they know this despite having bypassed a second-grade local uni education? Amazing stuff!

The smart ones know that if they play their cards right, they can have about a half-dozen farangs on a string. Why would they settle for one? The word is out and has been for a long time.

Oh... so I guess they are just lettered ho's with a nice car then? Good. I thought for a moment that I would have to reinvent myself to better get in the panties of communicate with the dazzling new species.

Back to the OP since this thread has gotten mired in the Thai women / relationships aspect of living in LOS. I do see an increase in the amount of 'haters' posting over the last few years. I can only comment on the Brits but it does sort of fit with the chronology when a load of retirees in Spain discovered Thailand with it's climate and favorable exchange rates. So they flipped the Marbella condo and moved lock stock and barrel to Thailand... whereupon Sterling cratered and left them with the realisation they had seriously f*cked up their retirement plans. Then, due to budgetary constraints, some of those began moving in less salubrious circles and were either shocked to find out that the sex industry existed, or, partook of that lifestyle. The former, mortified by the reality of it all, hide in their ivory tower 800 baht/m flop and rant about prostitutes and the men that consort with them whilst the latter get hooked to the "pay for play" like heroin but through their own inexperience, make lousy choices in business, partners or both, and get totally f*cked.

Made a trip to my old stomping ground in Pattaya a few weeks back and stopped to get some fish and chips before heading back to Bangkok. I decided to look for a bar whilst waiting for my order. There was 4 bars next door and across the street from each other that were chock full of elderly, silver haired or bald farangs watching the EPL. They weren't in groups as such; I couldn't see much interaction between them, looked like solitary chaps bound together by the footie, overpriced imported beer and mangled British pub cuisine. In fact they looked like Japanese in gogo bars in Nana in that regard... all aware of the Jap guy sitting next to them but pretending to be invisible to each other. They were having so much fun, I went next door to the coyote bar and watched younger farang guys playing connect-three(?) with unspeakably pretty, young and nubile hostesses.

I knew who was having more fun!

PS... the fish and chips was rubbish too.

I don't hate Thai people and I don't hate Thailand. It's sad to see so many people on the this forum do though. Makes me wonder why they're here in the first place and they don't go back to their own country if they're so bitter about it.

I don't hate Thai people and I don't hate Thailand. It's sad to see so many people on the this forum do though. Makes me wonder why they're here in the first place and they don't go back to their own country if they're so bitter about it.

Has it occurred to you that too many people are falsely reading criticism as hatred? People all over are totally flawed. Why should Thais be different.

Has it occurred to you that too many people are falsely reading criticism as hatred? People all over are totally flawed. Why should Thais be different.

Absolutely right, and folk one sees here as to complain or moan probably do the same in their own country. :(

Absolutely right, and folk one sees here as to complain or moan probably do the same in their own country. :(

Fair enough. I think life in the USA sucks even more than Thailand, at least as a place for me to currently live, so why not choose a place that sucks a bit less?

In some corners the word Jew is expressed as an insult, and in others it is said with pride. The same can be said with many terms. The word farang in itself is not the equivalent of term slant eyed orientals, it is the equivelant of the term orientals. But I am sure the word oriental can be used in a racist context as easily as it can be neutral.

Point taken, the "slant eyed" can be taken as when the Thais say "kee nok" or "tuwa yai" along with "falang."

I have never heard a 7-11 employee say to another in the west, can you take care of the jew, can you help the black over here, yet I hear all the time at the 7, one Thai saying to another when a white person walks in, you help the "falang", I don't speak falang etc. Also hear this kind of thing almost everywhere I go.

Not saying the Thais are doing it to insult, but there seems to be an active effort to NOT think about how the person being talked about it takes it or feels, however when the shoe is on the other foot, Thais are very, very sensitive in this matter.

Very hypocritical in my opinion.

It seem hypocritical, but it is a normal event here. They also might say you are really fat and not expect you to be offended in any way. It works in their culture, but not a popular move in western culture. I blame it on a lack of awareness.

I had a friend at work, a western black woman, once she was eating an ice cream and the ladies who worked in the kitchen just erupted into laughter, saying in Thai how fat and disgusting she was, that her butt stuck out etc, the lady didn't understand Thai (lucky for her) but knew what they were on about after hearing "ouan" over and over, she burst into tears. This just made these ladies ("nice" older Thai ladies with families and kids) laugh more, they were literally on the floor pointing at her etc.

I have never seen such obnoxious, disgusting behavior in all my life. None of the other Thai staff seemed to be bothered by it either, and the idea of reprimanding these ladies was never even called into question, it all came down to "mai pen rai."

Although I love Thailand, instances like these, and others I have seen really make me wonder about "Thai culture."

Edited by Kilgore Trout

It's strange, how some Posters on here, don't see any anomaly between elevating Thailand to a status that can't possibly be sustained, (it was never there in the first place) every Country has its faults, and good points.

But these same people will not hear a single word of criticism, concerning Thailands faults, but couldn't care less of often falsely denigrating and verbally abusing their own Country, with an endless string of complaints, and reasons for not going back.

Have they never heard of loyalty and Pride in one's own Country? Or have they got grievances with their own Country?

My own feelings are they were misfits back home, and came to Thailand to avoid legal issues, Maintenance for their wife and Children, the Sentence was about to be handed down, many worked their Banks over, with loans never intended to be paid back, and the easy Credit Card Fraud. and fled to Thailand with the ill gotten gains, cheated business partners, thieved for a living etc………..I could go on, I'm sure some others have met them, over that one Beer too many,which is usually when the truth comes out.

The plain facts are they will never be Thai, only a Farang that pays for everything, and will never get one Baht from Thailand, a false sense of having found Paradise, and belonging, to an illusion.

But these same people, were quite happy to take the money and Social Benefits etc, from their own Country, and no doubt if a serious illness was to befall them, would go running back home to get treated, by the same system that they haven't got a good word to say about, their Country, or indeed their fellow Countrymen.

Supporting your adopted Country is admirable, adding Blinkers to accompany the Rose Tinted spectacles, is foolish in the extreme!

A totally perverse and twisted viewpoint.

And I suspect there are many people back in their own Country who are glad to see the back of them too. So maybe for some, it's a case of "If you don't like Thailand, don't come back! (home)And not forgetting ,whether we agree with the opinion of others or not, for Thailand to be come a Democracy, freedom of speech, must be first and foremost, but unlikely that Farangs voices will ever be taken into account.

I've no doubt there are many people that fall into the categories you describe however there many more that are honest, hard working people who have done their shift and retired.

It's too easy to judge others on appearances, but as you say after a few beers the truth comes out.

I most certainly agree with you there,

there are more decent,honest Expats than not in Thailand.

The ones that really annoy,are the ones that so easily sell out their own Country,and spend a large amount of time on Thai Visa complaining about Ex Pats slagging off Thailand,while doing the same,to their own Country,and fellow Citizens,not forgetting the Trolls of course,who get their kicks,slagging off other peoples Countries, and also their own.

It's got so bad now,that many of them only join in a debate,so they can throw some more dubious claims and insults,at the Country that nurtured them,and provided the wherewithal to set up a life in Thailand,so they no longer need to reside in the Country they despise!

However wonderful it may be,for some living in Thailand,one must understand,if hard times came your way, your own Country would be there for you,not Thailand,they owe us nothing,and we pay for everything we take from their Country. A pure business arrangement,and not for the Wooly Minded Romancers, complaints are part and parcel of the same business arrangement IMO.

... The ones that are really educated (and I mean earn their post-grads abroad) mostly aren't interested in farangs.

OMG! A newer, better species of the hi-so Thai-Chinee uni graduate has just been defined. Some of the forum members who have invested in a Chula or Mahidol specimen will be truly gutted at this startling revelation.

Those that are left (and there aren't that many English-speaking Thai girls out there to begin with) know that they're a prized commodity.

And they know this despite having bypassed a second-grade local uni education? Amazing stuff!

The smart ones know that if they play their cards right, they can have about a half-dozen farangs on a string. Why would they settle for one? The word is out and has been for a long time.

Oh... so I guess they are just lettered ho's with a nice car then? Good. I thought for a moment that I would have to reinvent myself to better get in the panties of communicate with the dazzling new species.

Back to the OP since this thread has gotten mired in the Thai women / relationships aspect of living in LOS. I do see an increase in the amount of 'haters' posting over the last few years. I can only comment on the Brits but it does sort of fit with the chronology when a load of retirees in Spain discovered Thailand with it's climate and favorable exchange rates. So they flipped the Marbella condo and moved lock stock and barrel to Thailand... whereupon Sterling cratered and left them with the realisation they had seriously f*cked up their retirement plans. Then, due to budgetary constraints, some of those began moving in less salubrious circles and were either shocked to find out that the sex industry existed, or, partook of that lifestyle. The former, mortified by the reality of it all, hide in their ivory tower 800 baht/m flop and rant about prostitutes and the men that consort with them whilst the latter get hooked to the "pay for play" like heroin but through their own inexperience, make lousy choices in business, partners or both, and get totally f*cked.

Made a trip to my old stomping ground in Pattaya a few weeks back and stopped to get some fish and chips before heading back to Bangkok. I decided to look for a bar whilst waiting for my order. There was 4 bars next door and across the street from each other that were chock full of elderly, silver haired or bald farangs watching the EPL. They weren't in groups as such; I couldn't see much interaction between them, looked like solitary chaps bound together by the footie, overpriced imported beer and mangled British pub cuisine. In fact they looked like Japanese in gogo bars in Nana in that regard... all aware of the Jap guy sitting next to them but pretending to be invisible to each other. They were having so much fun, I went next door to the coyote bar and watched younger farang guys playing connect-three(?) with unspeakably pretty, young and nubile hostesses.

I knew who was having more fun!

PS... the fish and chips was rubbish too.

Good one !!

In some corners the word Jew is expressed as an insult, and in others it is said with pride. The same can be said with many terms. The word farang in itself is not the equivalent of term slant eyed orientals, it is the equivelant of the term orientals. But I am sure the word oriental can be used in a racist context as easily as it can be neutral.

Point taken, the "slant eyed" can be taken as when the Thais say "kee nok" or "tuwa yai" along with "falang."

I have never heard a 7-11 employee say to another in the west, can you take care of the jew, can you help the black over here, yet I hear all the time at the 7, one Thai saying to another when a white person walks in, you help the "falang", I don't speak falang etc. Also hear this kind of thing almost everywhere I go.

Not saying the Thais are doing it to insult, but there seems to be an active effort to NOT think about how the person being talked about it takes it or feels, however when the shoe is on the other foot, Thais are very, very sensitive in this matter.

Very hypocritical in my opinion.

It seem hypocritical, but it is a normal event here. They also might say you are really fat and not expect you to be offended in any way. It works in their culture, but not a popular move in western culture. I blame it on a lack of awareness.

I had a friend at work, a western black woman, once she was eating an ice cream and the ladies who worked in the kitchen just erupted into laughter, saying in Thai how fat and disgusting she was, that her butt stuck out etc, the lady didn't understand Thai (lucky for her) but knew what they were on about after hearing "ouan" over and over, she burst into tears. This just made these ladies ("nice" older Thai ladies with families and kids) laugh more, they were literally on the floor pointing at her etc.

I have never seen such obnoxious, disgusting behavior in all my life. None of the other Thai staff seemed to be bothered by it either, and the idea of reprimanding these ladies was never even called into question, it all came down to "mai pen rai."

Although I love Thailand, instances like these, and others I have seen really make me wonder about "Thai culture."

The largest of my Thai staff is called "ouan" because she is.................on a frighteningly big scale.

What's the problem ???

She enjoys her nickname, but to you it is a term of abuse.

Could be that is the strength of the culture ???

It's not Kansas ..............

Not relly hate, it´s more like you guys really look down on thai society and thai people, and the reason for that, is very often, a bitterness.

There are a lot of bitter farangs on this forum board, it is a fact.

Phew! That obviously doesn't apply to me as I don't internalize the concept that we are supposed to consider ourselves as f-rang just because we are externally labeled that way in Thailand. I've got a lot more in common with a mulatto Brazilian than a snow white Finn, yet in Thailand magically we're all f-rang. So I can't be a bitter f-rang if I ain't a f-rang. Yes, accept most Thai people categorize in that way, but you aren't required to think like they do!

Yes, I do think it's an idiotic aspect of Thai culture to call all white people f-rang. I accept it but I will never think it's an admirable part of Thai culture. If that makes me a bitter whatever, I can deal with that. Anyway, too much sugar isn't good for you anyway.

This agree with wholeheartedly though, the fact that thais still can not tell the difference between a white person from Hollywood/USA and a white person from Bratislava/Ukraine is kinda bad.

The word farang is not beneficial for either of us.

Bratislava/Ukraine??? are you sure?

If you don't like it here, go back where you came from ??????? Is that so hard to understand? It sounds very logical to me. Why do some posters find a logical statement so offensive?

Added - I have been called a farang for many years. It has never bothered me. If you are that thin skinned, you don't belong here anyways.

Edited by Gary A

Extraordinary!

1. take your time

2. don't rush

where on their anatomy is their bar code?

i think all thai ladies , should have one .

i have looked at quite a few thai female toots , :ph34r:

maybe i am looking in the wrong place.

:jap:

:clap2:

:clap2:+2

:clap2: + 3 just to piss em off! boring stiffs

Edited by MAJIC

The largest of my Thai staff is called "ouan" because she is.................on a frighteningly big scale.

What's the problem ???

You may call it strength if you choose. But if you know Thai women, you will know that most of them are weight obsessed. Gaining a single kilo is a very big deal to my wife, and I know it is the same with her friends and her sister. If you need other evidence just look at the booming weight loss industry in Thailand and all the slimming products (weight loss coffee anyone). To me this says that Thais are conscious of their weight and they equate thin with attractiveness. So how is it possible that having someone say that "you are fat" doesn't hurt. Of course it hurts, it is an insult. But this is a particular class of insult where Thai culture has determined that the proper response is to laugh it off and act like you are a happy fat person. I have also heard people call other people, even kids, ugly or dark skinned, and seen the same response. Ha Ha, yes I am.

If someone in the west said the things to me that have been said to me over here, they would lose teeth. But here I smile and pretend that they are funny. But internally I am offended. I do this because I have learned this aspect of the culture, but it doesn't mean I respect it or appreciate it.

People here don't react negatively to most personal remarks because if they did they would lose face. But there are insults you are allowed to respond to. Just call someone a buffalo and see how that goes for you. Yes Thais can be offended. And I think they hide their offense very well.

So is it strength of culture, or is it institutional ignorance and insensitivity and a very fake tolerance of it.

Edited by canuckamuck

What's the problem ???

Big question; are they calling her Ouan as a name, or are they pointing at her while she eats and calling out, fatty, fatty, you are ugly and disgusting and you eat like a pig?

Although Thais can be blunt about things, the culture dictates that they go out of their way to not make people feel bad, however, this seems to apply only to other Thai people.

The instances I am referring to are comments made about foreigners (whom they assume can't understand what they are saying) that they would never make about a Thai person.

As many Thais will tell you, Thai culture is for Thai people, not for "falang." Meaning they can treat you any way they want, in ways they would never treat a Thai. In many ways we are like clowns to them. Not everyone of course.

Whose fault was it that she was fat?

Thais just laugh at the obvious, here fat people are funny, something for everyone to laugh at.