Bt5,000 Compensation For Each Flood-Affected Household

webfact

<snip>

You are using western thinking on the people and allowing for big business to rely on the government. "Do these people businesses do anything for themselves to give them protection from floods? Insurance? Plans to protect their belongings?"

Although I haven't said businesses should get anything, one reason to assist them is because they provide jobs. The sooner they are going, the sooner people are getting paid.

Ofcourse, there are plenty of reasons why businesses should look after themselves too.

Business owners should have more money then ordinary people and should be able to take this loss. However business owners have bargaining power because they can say if you don't compensate us we pack up and leave. So even though they are more equipped to deal with losses they will get more because they have power. Sounds real fair to me.

I'm a capitalist, but it plays out unfair many times. Just like sacrificing people to save companies and then not compensating them extra. (talking specific situations here not blanket deals)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyone care to answer? What do people do with this money, once they get it?

I'm not arguing or discussing whether it's enough or not, just asking - where does the money go?

Probably fixing up the house.. or paying bills because they could not work and did not get wages. If we were to get it it would be earmarked for damages. But i wont loose a nights sleep over if if i dont. Its also far from enough and i have saved most stuff. I can imagine many people loosing a lot more then me, with a lot less means to pay for damages.

I'm not arguing or discussing whether it's enough or not, just asking - where does the money go?

Anything and everything. Food, clothing, alcohol, cleaning, donation, travel, gambling, pay debts...

I'm sure it wouldn't go far.

brother i.l had to move last week due to his house being flooded,5,000bht will go a long way,the car was under water the garage wanted 4,500bht to dry it out,paid someone to move some stuff and the family 1000bht,so far 6days rent on one room,cant go to work,who was it that anounced this great givaway.[scrooge]

Anything and everything. Food, clothing, alcohol, cleaning, donation, travel, gambling, pay debts...

I'm sure it wouldn't go far.

As you say It surely will not go far.

But the Thai's seem to be able to do far more with a Baht than we Foreigners.

For myself I don't trust the government and I find I can help by giving money directly to people. My stepson is one of the refugees and I try to support him. In return his wife distributes water as best she can and he can still continue his schooling.

I guess what I am saying if you know some people personally try to help them personally. JMO

All I see are complaints about how little money is being given, why do they actually have to give anything? Is there any rule/law that says it is compulsory?

We have given to a couple of the King's charities,more likely the money will go to a deserving cause than some of the other more dubious collections we have seen.

It is a terrible tragedy for Thailand, yet another year when disaster has struck. Coup,financial downturn,Yellow airport occupation, Red Bangkok occupation and now this- mother nature at her worst.

Thailand seems to pull through each of these problems and marches on, hopefully this will be the same and perhaps a year or two when nothing awful happens, we must be due?

All I see are complaints about how little money is being given, why do they actually have to give anything? Is there any rule/law that says it is compulsory?

Is there any rule/law that says - OK, you can flood another houses/businesses due to incompetence of those in charge, and just say "Ooops...SORRY!" ?

We paid our taxes to them, keep them on their positions and let them protect us.

They did nothing. Year after year.

More than that - they did opposite and only worsening the situation (like that pumps soap opera).

Edited by alexakap

Insurance against flooding is almost impossible to get most natural disasters are always excluded. I have been flooded for a few weeks. I think i have damages in the area of 40k. I can handle it, could have been much more if i had left the house, now i was able to respond to changing situations.

An that is why the insurance industry is predicting such huge losses!

Yes, many are uninsured, many policies do exclude flood but natural disasters are one of the main reasons for taking out insurance. Why do so many people still believe that "Acts Of God" are not covered?

How is putting 10 billion baht into the Thai economy a bad thing at this time? How much should it be? 1 trillion? 10 trillion? A trillion, trillion? How much??? And if you name a number, tell us all where it should come from too.

Come on, 5,000 isn't enough? Says who? Us farangs? Sure it isn't enough but 10 billion ain't a bad goose to an economy that will sorely need it and to people who will gladly spend 5,000 on things they need and give business to each other and jobs to each other.

Into the economy. They will purchase something.

And that just may give a job to someone or help a vendor make her rent, all good things.

How is putting 10 billion baht into the Thai economy a bad thing at this time? How much should it be? 1 trillion? 10 trillion? A trillion, trillion? How much??? And if you name a number, tell us all where it should come from too.

Easy: just pay out (or compensate to me while I can pay them first) all the bills while repairing house/vehicle etc. I will collect them to the separate folder, for easy reviewing.

Me myself not need any extra baht, but to cover these UNPREDICTED losses.

The sum will be the exact amount, different for each house. Got a calculator? :)

I see the complaints about the money being inadequate. Ok. Considering that the economy has been kicked in the nutz, where do you propose the money come from? The businesses that would usually pay the corporate tax have been hit hard. If they were closed, they won't be paying tax. The workers that they employed won't be purchasing local goods and services. Key exports that contribute to a strong economy and protect the balance of trade have been damaged.

Just where do you want the government to raise the money? Would you like Thailand to go on a debt adventure and end up in as bad as shape as the EU or the USA? This isn't about politics for the sake of politics, but is about not spending more than you can afford. Maybe some that live in debt don't get the point, but prudent fiscal policy and a tight watch on the finances is paramount.

Unless the business community gets back on its feet and people go back to work, and unless the important agricultural sector is helped, there will be no handouts to anyone when the coming EU recession drifts over to Thailand. There are important factories that must be helped so that there will be goods and services available to the nation, otherwise consumers will be purchasing foreign sourced goods.

Instead of shouting, gimme, gimme, consider giving thanks that so far there is no epidemic, no starvation and no civil disorder.

Just where do you want the government to raise the money? Would you like Thailand to go on a debt adventure and end up in as bad as shape as the EU or the USA?

These money will curculate within Thailand. Regardless they give - 1 baht or 1K baht, these are just a NUMBERS on electronic accounts. Some numbers will jump from one record to another, and soon (when ppl spend) they will jump back. All of this - within one country.

Don't compare this to US/EU debts (they consume more than they produce, creating inadequate EX/IM) - better learn how modern money/banking works. Supporting LOCAL ppl for LOCAL spending won't make any trouble.

I see the complaints about the money being inadequate. Ok. Considering that the economy has been kicked in the nutz, where do you propose the money come from? The businesses that would usually pay the corporate tax have been hit hard. If they were closed, they won't be paying tax. The workers that they employed won't be purchasing local goods and services. Key exports that contribute to a strong economy and protect the balance of trade have been damaged.

... rest removed

The compensation scheme seems to be in line with what the Abhisit government used in October - November 2010.

At that time then PM Abhisit said "although Bt5,000 was not a large amount and was unfair to households with severe damage, flat-rate payment would be the quickest way to help the victims."

Edited by rubl

At that time then PM Abhisit said "although Bt5,000 was not a large amount and was unfair to households with severe damage, flat-rate payment would be the quickest way to help the victims."

Does he mean that there will be other (slower but more adequate) ways to help the victims? Or just give them this fast 5K, mark it "Mission accomplished" and forget this all?

Easy: just pay out (or compensate to me while I can pay them first) all the bills while repairing house/vehicle etc. I will collect them to the separate folder, for easy reviewing.

Me myself not need any extra baht, but to cover these UNPREDICTED losses.

The sum will be the exact amount, different for each house. Got a calculator? :)

Oh, that won't be abused at all. Anyone have Photo Shop and a printer?

Insurance against flooding is almost impossible to get most natural disasters are always excluded. I have been flooded for a few weeks. I think i have damages in the area of 40k. I can handle it, could have been much more if i had left the house, now i was able to respond to changing situations.

Yes, many are uninsured, many policies do exclude flood but natural disasters are one of the main reasons for taking out insurance. Why do so many people still believe that "Acts Of God" are not covered?

Many people who have mortgages will have insurance that covers floods. Our SCB bank loan covers for flood damage (but not the wallpaper - just paint, tiles and structure). Then there is about 30-40K damage to our built-ins and kitchen which isn't covered. We also have the option of the "land and houses" loan but turned that down. Luckily we did as they don't insure for flooding. I would say 90% of people are not insured, especially those from poorer neighbourhoods. The 5000 baht will go a long way for them, and I can use it to to do some repairs.

But I agree that the compensation is used to cover the governments incompetence and lack of action in terms of maintenance of flood ways and general water management. I too, do believe this was not just a "natural disaster".

Many people who have mortgages will have insurance that covers floods. Our SCB bank loan covers for flood damage (but not the wallpaper - just paint, tiles and structure). Then there is about 30-40K damage to our built-ins and kitchen which isn't covered. We also have the option of the "land and houses" loan but turned that down. Luckily we did as they don't insure for flooding. I would say 90% of people are not insured, especially those from poorer neighbourhoods. The 5000 baht will go a long way for them, and I can use it to to do some repairs.

But I agree that the compensation is used to cover the governments incompetence and lack of action in terms of maintenance of flood ways and general water management. I too, do believe this was not just a "natural disaster".

Most of the damage wont be done to the house itself but the stuff in it. Anyway for me i can handle the damages. Just thinking of the poorer people. I believe this disaster was partly man made. They should publish the name of the "red" cabinet member who stopped them from releasing water from the dams in September.

Then a collective court case suing him would be great. Its a nice fantasy at least but would give me great satisfaction to see one of those corrupt politicians taken to the cleaners in a way like this.

I know it will never happen. but was nice to think about.

Just where do you want the government to raise the money? Would you like Thailand to go on a debt adventure and end up in as bad as shape as the EU or the USA?

These money will curculate within Thailand. Regardless they give - 1 baht or 1K baht, these are just a NUMBERS on electronic accounts. Some numbers will jump from one record to another, and soon (when ppl spend) they will jump back. All of this - within one country.

Don't compare this to US/EU debts (they consume more than they produce, creating inadequate EX/IM) - better learn how modern money/banking works. Supporting LOCAL ppl for LOCAL spending won't make any trouble.

OK, let me see if I understand, as long as you only create internal inflation by "just NUMBERS" (same as printing money) there are no consequences? Do ya think it will have any effect at all on the baht for international exchange?

If these "NUMBERS" you speak of were meaningless economies would just add more "NUMBERS" to their banks whenever they needed them. "Hey Somchai, we're running a little low, add a few zeros to that bottom line, will ya?"

What happened to be patient and you will be compensated? Her rubber boots cost more than that! For the people, yeah, right.annoyed.gif

Sums it up right there.

" Her rubber boots cost more than that! "

Will she be claiming the 5000 baht to replace her rubber boots? They did get wet, after all. :lol:

When we had last flooding here on Samui in March many got their 5000 baht, after standing in line for 3-5 hours.

Claims could only be made during two days.

Many new Mercedes was parked at the government bank where the claims could be done.

You will need house-book with Thai name and Thai ID-card.

The poor Burmese here got nothing.

Many of the new Mercedes owners collected 5000 baht for every unit they rented out.

How many houses did SC-assets own now????

Edited by PoorSucker

What happened to be patient and you will be compensated? Her rubber boots cost more than that! For the people, yeah, right.annoyed.gif

This is hilarious, 55555555555 Ha Ha. 5,000 bht+ 300 bht a day+ tablet+ uni money+ you will all be rich in 6 months, (this 5thou is part payment for you'll be rich promise) We love the people==we take care the poor people= now where are the posters in denial--come on defend this complete insult to Thai people, I want to see the percentage of the (Gov-family) supporters on this thread--EMBARRASSING ..........

To be honest with you now,.you forgot to mention the free WIFI......can't you feel the cosmic energy?........jap.gif