Recommendations--crv, Fortuner Or Escape

Fore Man

I live in Mae Rim (Chiang Mai). I am trying to decide on which SUV to buy in Thailand. Already drive a 2004 Camry and love it, but we need a second set of wheels and are inclined to go for a SUV. We have test driven all three SUVs and are a bit put off by the diesel racket and stiff suspension of the Toyota. But we respect the brand. I'd like to hear from owners of all three vehicles and get their thoughts and advice. Price is not a big discriminator, nor is resale value, but overall build quality, reliability, and getting good dealer service is important to us

I've had both Fords and Toyotas and both are quite good. I lean toward Toyota because of the better quality in important things like the overall interior package and overall build. Toyota is hands down winner for reliability and general apperance. The Ford has 150HP while the heavier Toyota has just 125 and is rather gutless on long steep inclines and is bigger and more difficult to park in the city. I have 90k on my 2000 Sport Rider and it is running strong, my mother has a newer model Ford Explorer and has had it in the shop several times already.

Either is a great SUV, I don't think you'll go wrong which ever you choose.

The Escape is nice, had one for the past 6 months, got a Fortuner now though as I need more space. The CRV is a hairdresser's car in my book. But not a bad motor. If there's not too many of you, and you like a bit of Umph then the 3.0L Escape is nice. At the end of the day though it's all down to personal taste.

They had a bit of an exhibition down at Secon Square last week and gotta say I was impressed by the new Fortuner.

We are still playing the tourist scene but one day when I finally drop anchor over there (chiang mai)...maybe i would definately go for the Fortu...

Also had a look at the new Volvos,Kias,VWs and Fords (excape)but price wise ...Peng...and not the je ne sais qua....as the Toyos....etc. :D

K.W actually likes the Landrover (over "ere) but as far as I am concerned she has an Oyster card and thats enough. :o

Re:the 3 ltr.Diesal...what sort of milage are you getting?

Thanks all for your thoughts...I too was impressed with the Fortuner, but is a tad big and unwieldy. I guess I could learn to live with the diesel noise. I'd also like to see an upscale version that has a better quality interior (replacing the cheap plastics and adding wood applique trim and steering wheel grip). And if there is sufficient power, I may go for the gas-operated mill.

Agree that the Rovers and Volvos are just 'paeng maak'. I also had a Thai friend tell me that when your Toyota or Honda breaks down somewhere out in the boonies, it will be far easier to get repaired in the nearest burg than the Volvo or some other import. Probably sage advice. :o

We have had our Honda CRV since 1999 and its been a great car. Currently has 210,000 km on it. I've looked at the others you mentioned (Fortuner, Ford Escape) but have decided to buy another CRV probably sometime next year. My second choice woud be the Ford Escape.

I have a Fortuner and so far (4 mths) I am very happy with it. Last car was a 96 Range Rover so I am spoiled when it comes to 4wd but the Fortuner is pretty good, especially when you factor in the price. I haven't been way off road in it but the few times I have been on tricky surfaces it has performed well. It is nice and high so it copes with Phuket's floods fine.

It seats 7 aldults quite well, and has a few thoughtful features that make ownership that bit better like reclining middle row seats, extra power outlets, aircon duct for the rear passengers, steering wheel controls for the radio and trip computer etc. The sound system was a pleasant surprise too, all in all really not bad for a car in this price range.

The petrol engine is fine around town but is pretty weak on the motorway with a full car, it'll cruise along at 150 quite happily but it lacks grunt so overtaking can be a bit hairy!

As someone said above the weak points are the rather utilitarian interior, but personally I prefer it that way, I am not keen on fake woods and chrome bits to bling things up.

Only problem I have had was condensation from the aircon leaking into the chassis so I could hear it sloshing around when braking or turning a corner! It was fixed at the shop in 30 minutes and hasn't happened again.

Sorry for the long reply.