To Rent A Car Or Not? Advice?

sabai jai

I also cross-posted this under 'travel':

We are visiting TH for 2 weeks in Februrary, and want to spend a week experiencing friendly Isaan, off-the-beaten-path, relaxed travel before heading back south. We are looking for a combination of planned destinations and stumbling across interesting things and local color. I can get by in Thai and can read, so being away from tourist infrastructure is not a worry. But my big question is:

Does renting wheels (car, pick-up, or motorbike) really open up a whole new perspective and pace for this area? Or, me being a uninitiated California driver, will it be too stressful/dangerous and take the "relaxing" out of the vacation? (I have no plans on driving near BKK or at night).

The Budget TH website really piqued my interest (http://www.budget.co.th/travel_worldclass.php)

I would love to hear yours thoughts / experiences on driving in rural parts of Thailand. Any info is much appreciated! Thanks! ขอบคุญมากครับ

I also cross-posted this under 'travel':

We are visiting TH for 2 weeks in Februrary, and want to spend a week experiencing friendly Isaan, off-the-beaten-path, relaxed travel before heading back south. We are looking for a combination of planned destinations and stumbling across interesting things and local color. I can get by in Thai and can read, so being away from tourist infrastructure is not a worry. But my big question is:

Does renting wheels (car, pick-up, or motorbike) really open up a whole new perspective and pace for this area? Or, me being a uninitiated California driver, will it be too stressful/dangerous and take the "relaxing" out of the vacation? (I have no plans on driving near BKK or at night).

The Budget TH website really piqued my interest (http://www.budget.co.th/travel_worldclass.php)

I would love to hear yours thoughts / experiences on driving in rural parts of Thailand. Any info is much appreciated! Thanks! ขอบคุญมากครับ

In my opinion having wheels opens up oppurtunities that you may otherwise miss and cars or pick-ups are not overly expensive. I dont know how much "budget" charge but the lady just next door to Eric's bar in Khon Kaen est 1300baht a day which includes 1st class insurance and all vehicles are under 1 year old hope this helps.