Buying A Pick-Up

Sophon

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor Old Trans he thinks he can re write the Lever Law. As we all know as well ,a Go Cart Rolls easily, and a Tower Crane can match a F.1 for stability.clap2.gif . A Normal Truck is quite adequate for Normal People.cheesy.gif

If you have driven a Go Kart (I have) it's is very difficult to roll, just learn and understand the ride as in ANY ride. rolleyes.gif .

A Joke Mate,, yes we now a cart doesn't roll,you are getting desperate now , why buy something you know that rolls and sways more unless you do Jungle Off Roading .The OP only wants to go over a few bumps n potholes. Anyway itsburp.gif Time

Hmmmmmmmm, the OP is looking for real advice. rolleyes.gif

Maybe wrong place to post but a truck for Transam, I drove to Bangkok for New years Eve Lunch, a big pickup pulled up along side, I do mean big, on the side was a big V8 badge, driver was on left so a LHD truck, as it pulled ahead it was a Toyota, on Embassy plates..... pickup 4 door had sun roofs.

Maybe wrong place to post but a truck for Transam, I drove to Bangkok for New years Eve Lunch, a big pickup pulled up along side, I do mean big, on the side was a big V8 badge, driver was on left so a LHD truck, as it pulled ahead it was a Toyota, on Embassy plates..... pickup 4 door had sun roofs.

I saw a few 5.6 Lit V8 Toyota trucks in Qatar last year, make the Vigo look like a toy truck, he-he.

About the high rides.......how are they to drive on normal roads, and whats the price for it ?? Is it possible to get it for a fortuner or pajero ??

Cheers

for a 4 door pick up, the navara is the lowest in it's class. Vigo the highest I think.

Poor Old Trans he thinks he can re write the Lever Law. As we all know as well ,a Go Cart Rolls easily, and a Tower Crane can match a F.1 for stability.clap2.gif . A Normal Truck is quite adequate for Normal People.cheesy.gif

Install and Old Man Emu lift kit in any truck and traction increases. So does comfort, and its less likely to roll than any factory Thai Pickup. Laws of gravity does not apply for OMEs long soft springs

Just as they did not for Range Rover while they still had steel coils

4 tyres on the ground, at all times

I saw a few 5.6 Lit V8 Toyota trucks in Qatar last year, make the Vigo look like a toy truck, he-he.

this is a big truck! Only $50k too.

ford_raptor_price.jpg

ford_raptor_price.jpg

thats the smallest US made Ford (150), size on par with Th trucks

take a look at the 350 4 doors 6 wheelers, thats a big pickup

Them be Toyota Tundra's. Big muthaf*khas from Laos are seen sometimes in Udon at weekends but I have seen more big Fords with Lao plates.

Back to the OP. Seriously, with 10,000km a year and mostly you and the wife and the dogs in the back, get a Tata. That way you will be seen as the smart and pennywise new farang versus the flash and rich new farang if you get anything new from the regular stables. If you buy secondhand, you will be the stingy, tightwad new farang.

Ask the wife...

Edited by NanLaew

Them be Toyota Tundra's. Big muthaf*khas from Laos are seen sometimes in Udon at weekends but I have seen more big Fords with Lao plates.

Back to the OP. Seriously, with 10,000km a year and mostly you and the wife and the dogs in the back, get a Tata. That way you will be seen as the smart and pennywise new farang versus the flash and rich new farang if you get anything new from the regular stables. If you buy secondhand, you will be the stingy, tightwad new farang.

Ask the wife...

Toyota Nong Kai seen Laos Tundras service and order parts frequently

Ask the wife...

If he buy's a Tata he will look a Twonk in Thai eye's. laugh.png

Who cares whether Thai considers you a Cheap Charlie or not because you drive a truck? I don't feel that I have to impress anybody. If any comment is made I'd ask how much of the purchase price they still owe on their conveyance, how much insurance and road tax that they pay, how often they have to visit a petrol station. My money stays in the bank or investments rather than paying through the nose to swank about feeding any upper class delusions I might have or compensating for a lack of self esteem. My little Nissan NV truck is now 10 years old with nearly 300,000 clicks on the clock, is maintained regularly and has never given a single problem over time. Furthermore I doubt that any little scrote would want to steal it. It is fun to drive and I can leg it to Lomsak from Pattaya in under 5 hours. No Humvees or Limo's for me thanks. I did all that nonsense years ago before I became older and a tad wiser.

• Like 1

Not quite sure how I'd get my any of my bikes in the back of a BMW, so I guess I'll have to be a cheap Charlie.

I bought a truck for carrying stuff. Its convenient. If I want to go somewhere without carrying stuff, I jump on the bike. With a bike and a truck I've got all bases covered, why on earth would I want to buy a regular car? So that I wouldn't look like a cheap Charlie? OK.

I guess owners of any Honda Brio, Toyota Yaris or Vios, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta, Nissan March or Almera, Suzuki Swift etc are all also cheap Charlies as they're cars are cheaper than my truck

Anyone else bored of wandrinstar's trolling? Not got a problem with you not liking trucks, but come up with proper reasons and criticise them with at least a minimal amount of intelligence. You're boring.

Who cares whether Thai considers you a Cheap Charlie or not because you drive a truck? I don't feel that I have to impress anybody. If any comment is made I'd ask how much of the purchase price they still owe on their conveyance, how much insurance and road tax that they pay, how often they have to visit a petrol station. My money stays in the bank or investments rather than paying through the nose to swank about feeding any upper class delusions I might have or compensating for a lack of self esteem. My little Nissan NV truck is now 10 years old with nearly 300,000 clicks on the clock, is maintained regularly and has never given a single problem over time. Furthermore I doubt that any little scrote would want to steal it. It is fun to drive and I can leg it to Lomsak from Pattaya in under 5 hours. No Humvees or Limo's for me thanks. I did all that nonsense years ago before I became older and a tad wiser.

From that point of view, I'd suggest a Mazda Familia.

Now that's actually quite funny. When we went to visit the GF's family in Lampang and told them we are considering buying a used pick-up truck to save money, her sister suggested a Mazda Familia (which are used extensively as song thaews in Lampang). I don't think she meant it seriously though.

I'm afraid I don't have faith in the quality of Tata trucks or the longevity of the brand on the Thai market. I would rather have a used Isuzu/Ford/Chevrolet/Toyota etc. than a new Tata. As of now my choice is between the cheapest AT (which I believe is the Nissan Navara) or a 2-3 year old model with a few more bells and whistles. I am still leaning towards buying used, despite the risk.

Keep the suggestions and information coming. Noone have commented on whether 4wd and AT are expensive to maintain and repair or basically trouble free. Also, if buying used what are your opinions on test services like TestCar?

Sophon

Now that's actually quite funny. When we went to visit the GF's family in Lampang and told them we are considering buying a used pick-up truck to save money, her sister suggested a Mazda Familia (which are used extensively as song thaews in Lampang). I don't think she meant it seriously though.

I believe there's quite a following for the Familia's, you see them restored quite often. I very much like the simple stylish looks, who needs more? Well, I would need more headroom!

I'm waiting for a 2nd test drive in the Isuzu V-Cross Z-Prestige (auto), only had a very short one at the show ... I want to look at the sort of equilavent models of Ford, Chev and Mazda ... anyone know where I might look in BK or dates when, I do realise that at least the Ranger is not available to look at yet ... well accorning to one dealer that is ... thanks

ford_raptor_price.jpg

thats the smallest US made Ford (150), size on par with Th trucks

take a look at the 350 4 doors 6 wheelers, thats a big pickup

it looked big when I saw it on top gear USA when it did 120mph over rough terrain!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5paAXmf_8A&feature=related

Any Ferang with a Truck is a Cheap Charlie in a Thais Eye. And Generally they are correct. . O.K for the " Red Neck Yung Uns", but Old Men, i ask you. .Tonka Toys.cheesy.gif

when I haggle with taxi drivers, i think they respect me more. Have you met any thai not tight? That might just be phuket though!

Sophon. You have to compare, as you do, and find what is best for your needs I can only tell f rom my experience. First I find the brakes on all pickups are inferior. Naturally I dont know about the 2012 models and if they are better. But look, for example, at the brakes of teh popular Toyota Vigo. The front rotors are about the same size as those of the Vios, a car with maybe half teh weight. And two pot calipers (2 cylinders pressing on the rotors when you brake). My DMax is no better and also the standard Bridgestone Dueler tires are really crap. Especially in the wet. I changed the front brakes to 4 pot calipers and bigger, ventilated rotors. Much better.

Second, smaller or bigger engine? For normal, straight line driving, it does not matter much. Although the bigger engine may need a little less fuel as it is working more leisurely. If y ou dont use the power. But when you want to overtake a long truck with a trailer on a two lane road, you are grateful to have more power. You can never have enough power.jerk.gif The 3L Isuzu has 330Nm torque and 160hp as standard. And it is really not much for a truck weighing in almost 2 tons. Never mind a smaller engine. But more power, should you want it, is no problem.

I am, as you plan to be, out in the sticks and although most of the time, I only use 2wd. But the times I have been stuck and got out with the 4wd, I was grateful I had chosen that option.

As for gearbox many posters have suggested go for the auto and I agree. For your driving a manual would just be an obstacle you dont need.

If you have a lid or a canopy covering the loading bay, it will be good for your fuel consumption is the air drag on the car will be less. But a lid is not very good carrying dogs so for you a metal canopy would be preferable. Better quality than the plastic ones. A lid would set you back about 16-21000. It is electrically operated. A poster mentioned a metal canopy for 28000 I think.

If you buy a new car here, the dealer wont haggle over the price like is customary in Europe and thte US. But you will be able to get additional equipment like liner on the back, rubber mats etc. And possibly a better price for a canopy or a lid.

Test drive the trucks you like on various roads. Suspension, steering, noise, comfort etc. And try the brakes! Hard. If you are unable to find a demo car you like, maybe a car rental near you has one? Wont be too expensive for a day.

As you have been told also, the Chevy and the Isuzu are basically the same car. Major difference is inside the car.

Only trouble with test drives is the dealers mandatory 50 psi in the tyres which totally changes truck stuff. I have a Vigo 4x4 and yesterday went out in a Prerunner, me sitting on the back seat, l was being chucked all over the place and thought this thing cannot be that different to mine. He just had it serviced, yep you guessed it 50 psi. rolleyes.gif

Sophon. You have to compare, as you do, and find what is best for your needs I can only tell f rom my experience. First I find the brakes on all pickups are inferior. Naturally I dont know about the 2012 models and if they are better. But look, for example, at the brakes of teh popular Toyota Vigo. The front rotors are about the same size as those of the Vios, a car with maybe half teh weight. And two pot calipers (2 cylinders pressing on the rotors when you brake). My DMax is no better and also the standard Bridgestone Dueler tires are really crap. Especially in the wet. I changed the front brakes to 4 pot calipers and bigger, ventilated rotors. Much better.

Second, smaller or bigger engine? For normal, straight line driving, it does not matter much. Although the bigger engine may need a little less fuel as it is working more leisurely. If y ou dont use the power. But when you want to overtake a long truck with a trailer on a two lane road, you are grateful to have more power. You can never have enough power.jerk.gif The 3L Isuzu has 330Nm torque and 160hp as standard. And it is really not much for a truck weighing in almost 2 tons. Never mind a smaller engine. But more power, should you want it, is no problem.

I am, as you plan to be, out in the sticks and although most of the time, I only use 2wd. But the times I have been stuck and got out with the 4wd, I was grateful I had chosen that option.

As for gearbox many posters have suggested go for the auto and I agree. For your driving a manual would just be an obstacle you dont need.

If you have a lid or a canopy covering the loading bay, it will be good for your fuel consumption is the air drag on the car will be less. But a lid is not very good carrying dogs so for you a metal canopy would be preferable. Better quality than the plastic ones. A lid would set you back about 16-21000. It is electrically operated. A poster mentioned a metal canopy for 28000 I think.

If you buy a new car here, the dealer wont haggle over the price like is customary in Europe and thte US. But you will be able to get additional equipment like liner on the back, rubber mats etc. And possibly a better price for a canopy or a lid.

Test drive the trucks you like on various roads. Suspension, steering, noise, comfort etc. And try the brakes! Hard. If you are unable to find a demo car you like, maybe a car rental near you has one? Wont be too expensive for a day.

As you have been told also, the Chevy and the Isuzu are basically the same car. Major difference is inside the car.

Thanks a lot for your input.

So you recommend bigger motor, 4wd and AT, features that normally come with the 4 door models. Models with these features are way out of my budget unless I buy a newer used pick-up.

I know that the conventional wisdom is to buy new because used cars/pick-ups are too close in price to new ones. But I think that people are influenced by their experience of how cars depreciate back where they came from, and because depreciation here is slower they come to the conclusion that used cars are overpriced in Thailand. As mentioned, I have no car ownership experience from back home so I'm not burdened by past experiences/knowledge. To me a one/two year old 2010 Chevrolet Colorado 3.0 LT Z71 4dr 4wd AT with (supposedly) 52k km on the clock for 675,000 baht sounds like a better deal than a new Nissan King Cab GT Calibre LE 5AT for 735,500 baht (which is the cheapest AT model I have been able to find).

I do realize that buying used comes with a risk, which is why I am thinking about having any pickup I consider buying first tested by a professional company like TestCar. But from the replies so far it seems no-one has had any experience with them (or other similar companies).

Sophon