Have You Drifted Into The Dark Side Of Western Food Fork And Spoon Eating?

Jingthing

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing how a spoon can be used to cut steak when held down firmly with a fork ...

Which restaurant had to suffer this experiment JT?

I like my rice an peas....mash and baked beans please....

When it comes to beer I prefer a laddle .

A laddie or a ladle?

I hope its the latter but every traveller needs his Passepartout I suppose. Spoon fed some of you are. A few even silver spooners....

you also can ask for the steak or schnitzel to be cut for you and you can eat it with chopsticks if you like. Just like the Tongkatsu from the Tongkatsu Set which is automatically cut. That's normal in Thailand.

Amazing how a spoon can be used to cut steak when held down firmly with a fork ...

Which restaurant had to suffer this experiment JT?

I like my rice an peas....mash and baked beans please....

When it comes to beer I prefer a laddle .

A laddie or a ladle?

I hope its the latter but every traveller needs his Passepartout I suppose. Spoon fed some of you are. A few even silver spooners....

an he played upon a ladle ladle ladle and he played upon a ladle and his name was Aitken Drum , not aiking bum , ah spoonerism ye ken ?

you also can ask for the steak or schnitzel to be cut for you and you can eat it with chopsticks if you like. Just like the Tongkatsu from the Tongkatsu Set which is automatically cut. That's normal in Thailand.

I hadn't really thought of that but won't bother as I fancy sharpening up my spoon cutting techniques.

On the topic of mashed potatoes . My partner does the mashing in the tum tum , for reasons known only to herself , and this makes the end result spicy mashed potatoes . I eat them with a spoon , sometimes in the middle of the night straight from the open fridge with my eyes shut .

On the topic of mashed potatoes . My partner does the mashing in the tum tum , for reasons known only to herself , and this makes the end result spicy mashed potatoes . I eat them with a spoon , sometimes in the middle of the night straight from the open fridge with my eyes shut .

My lady does the same ..last week she made a crispy pork dinner with all the trimmings,licklips.gif the following day told her to mash the potatoes and veg together and fry it all ( Bubble & Squeak),,,5 mins later she is on the Bok Bok mashing every thing up, she then made big patties, Bubble & Squeak , bacon egg and beans licklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.gif

A spoon is even simpler except if you really like sweet peas.

OK your an American, I am English, photo attached of sweet peas

Larger meat Thais cook/fry let it cool and cut into small bits before serving, I often find it easier to take meat out of the pan and cut it up with the kitchen scissors onto my plate = no need for a knife at the table.. the talk of normal green peas, can;t say I have ever seen any fresh ones here ? there again was surprised last week at Makro they had fresh Brussel Sprouts and French runner green beans.

post-42643-0-43269400-1325988264_thumb.j

Edited by ignis

my mother only uses a spoon- for everything! Although she would struggle in Thailand with the handy bendy spoons in most places...

when handed a knife and fork it does take me a second to orientate on which hand for each implement these days

when in latin america one must not ever be seen eating with a spoon as it denotes 'malaeducacion' and, god forbid, a campesino background...

if ye wanna ever get into a fight ye just gotta approach yer adversary and declare: 'yer mother eats with a spoon...' now, my grandmother in Bolivia ate with a spoon so there was no argument...

Sounds like you are very self conscious. For many years now, when I'm in the USA and Europe I always eat Thai style (i.e., eat with spoon, rake/push with fork) and have never noticed anyone "staring" at me. Anyway .... who cares if they do?

Also, I can't remember ever being in a western-style restaurant where they didn't set table with spoon, as well as knife and fork.

Edited by HerbalEd

Sounds like you are very self conscious. For many years now, when I'm in the USA and Europe I always eat Thai style (i.e., eat with spoon, rake/push with fork) and have never noticed anyone "staring" at me. Anyway .... who cares if they do?

Also, I can't remember ever being in a western-style restaurant where they didn't set table with spoon, as well as knife and fork.

Maybe I am too self conscious. In the US I would eat Thai style at Thai places because at least there, there is often some Thai staff who think its cool but I repress it at other places as the staring is not polite and I don't wish to be thought developmentally handicapped. I don't think that is really so unusual to want to avoid being stared at as a freak.

I am just reporting the incident in the OP as it happened. There was no spoon on the table. I have no idea if that's their policy as it was my first time and I doubt I'll be back. Nothing to do with utensils that.

Edited by Jingthing

...Spoon fed some of you are. A few even silver spooners....

Eating with friends I use chop sticks

but with ladies I 'spoon and fork'

SC

At home [only], we are quite comfortable eating with our fingers.

Rather rustic and real. Old school, ya know...coffee1.gif

The answer to this is the Spork. Is it a knife, a spoon or a fork? Its a Spork!

All utensils should be replaced with this immeadiately.

It doesn't answer the knife question !

Cheap plastic knockoff, probably prison issue. (where have you been?)

Note the serrated edge! I'm tellin yah guys, sporks are the utensil of the future!

spork09.jpg

The answer to this is the Spork. Is it a knife, a spoon or a fork? Its a Spork!

All utensils should be replaced with this immeadiately.

It doesn't answer the knife question !

Cheap plastic knockoff, probably prison issue. (where have you been?)

Note the serrated edge! I'm tellin yah guys, sporks are the utensil of the future!

The future's passe - so very retro. The spork is a throw-back to the seventies, utilitarianism and man-made fibres. As Scott Adams said "The future will not be like star trek". I only ever once saw sporks, and that was in the seventies.

SC