Foreigner Saves Drowning Toddler At Phuket Beach

webfact

Foreigner saves drowning toddler at Phuket beach

Phuket Gazette

phuket-1-11900sTtlqcbcOgFaTdrrAvIAUWsXjA.jpg

Wimon Sangjan holds her daughter Pawanrat, who will remain at Vachira Phuket Hospital overnight following her near-drowning this morning.

PHUKET: -- Just a day after 7-year-old drowning victim Methee Khunsuinhu succumbed to injuries and passed away at Vachira Phuket Hospital, quick action by a foreign tourist today spared a toddler of a similar fate at the same beach.

Pawanrat Suetrong, age one year and seven months, was on a family outing to the swimming lagoon near Nai Harn Beach this morning when the near tragedy occurred.

Her mother, 31-year-old Wimon Sangjan, said she took Pawanrat, her two sisters aged four and nine, as well as her own 14-year-old brother to enjoy a day at the beach.

She went to get the children some drinking water, leaving them to play in knee-high water at the edge of the lagoon.

“Pawanrat suddenly began sinking into deeper water, then went under. The other children were in the same area, but they did not notice what was happening to her. Fortunately, a foreign woman sprang into action, pulling her back onto the shore unconscious," she recounted.

“My daughter was put in a Kusoldham Foundation emergency rescue vehicle and rushed to Vachira Phuket Hospital, but after five minutes she began throwing up and then regained consciousness,” she said.

Pawanrat will stay in the hospital overnight for observation.

Mrs Wimol, who works in a Nai Harn restaurant, has lived with her family and other relatives in Chalong for five years.

He husband is currently back visiting their native Suphan Buri province.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...ticle11900.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2012-01-04

Last year the school took three classes {108 children ] to the same place. The lagoon has a very deep drop towards a ventilation area which is supposed to be guarded by lifeguards. Thai teachers sitting around eating and gossiping apart from 1, and 3 foreign teachers. The young Thai teacher saved the life of an 8 year old girl while the other Thai teachers were totally oblivious to what was happening around them. Neither the school or the lifeguards would except any responsibilty. This area is very beautiful but needs to be supervized at all times.

Edited by lonexpat

Last year the school took three classes {108 children ] to the same place. The lagoon has a very deep drop towards a ventilation area which is supposed to be guarded by lifeguards. Thai teachers sitting around eating and gossiping apart from 1, and 3 foreign teachers. The young Thai teacher saved the life of an 8 year old girl while the other Thai teachers were totally oblivious to what was happening around them. Neither the school or the lifeguards would except any responsibilty. This area is very beautiful but needs to be supervized at all times.

It looks calm and safe there at times, but that area of the beach is one of the most dangerous. I've been swimming pretty regularly at Nai Harn and I never see the lifeguards actually watching the water. I see them chatting in a group, or playing with their phone. Very lucky for the family a quick thinking person saw what was happening and sprang into action! Well done!

Congrats on the life saving ventures, but the article does not even come close to saying how many times foreigners pull people from the water with no mention. Without these good samaritans, there would be a lot more drowning deaths. I know a few board members that pull out drowning people out on a monthly basis that goes without any fanfare.

Cobgrats to the expat that pulled out and saved the toddler.

We all know to be on our guard with children and keep a constant eye on them in potentially dangeroud situations like water. Yet at the same time we all let our attention slip sometimes. That is why accidents happen.

It is easy to accuse the mother of not paying attention, and she made a mistake and I'm sure she realises that, but we all make mistakes, also with guarding our children.