The Cheapest Charlie

bermondburi

If the Thai cannot afford it, then it should be up to the partner to pay. Not a third party.

Jimbeam need to put himself in his friends shoes. His friend is paying while a 3rd person is evidently not. Apparently the GF paid nothing yet is complaining that somebody else that did pay did not pay 'enough', I know what I'd have to say to that and it rhymes with cough.

If people want to make deals where the partner is excluded from paying, they should negotiate everything first. If they don't and the other person wants to split the bill equally (and fairly) they only have themselves to blame. If a deal is struck then fine, it is the EXPECTATION that is just plain wrong and made so much worse by having the nerve to complain. Especially by somebody that didn't contribute, what a fuc_king cheek.

Not only that, but he mentioned that the girlfriend complained about it as well; isn't that nice; she gets a free ride and complains saying that some guy who is a friend of her bf's, should be her benefactor.

Nice girls this guy keeps up with! Not surprising why Thai girls have the reputation they do

Indeed, I would not be amused

I wonder if the friend is aware this is going on behind his back.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The friend should have said 50/50 if I get to use your gf (or your gf brings a girl for me), otherwise 33/33/33

Using one bed would have made the trip much cheaper.

The mistake was everyone not agreeing terms before the trip.

Edited by ludditeman

Reply to Nocturn...

so you vent here instead of saying anything to him directly? you are asking to be taken.

Not venting at all, just telling a tale about IMO a cheap charlie in reply to Guesthouse who mentioned Yorkshire men from Leeds, also telling a tale which is on topic to the topic, do you get it yet or you just replying IMO to add to your post count with trollish drivel.

HTH.

Edited by MB1

ok, fine, if you think i am doing this entirely for my post count, you can believe that, but in response to your post, i would sincerely like to know why you would post about this particular Yorkshire fellow's behavior rather than calling him on it face to face?

ok, fine, if you think i am doing this entirely for my post count, you can believe that, but in response to your post, i would sincerely like to know why you would post about this particular Yorkshire fellow's behavior rather than calling him on it face to face?

Read the last part of my original post, I said I think "By the way he acts the same in the UK".

I wasn't going to pull him on his cheap charlie antics on his last night and day in Thailand but you can be assured I had a word when I saw him after I returned to the UK, when he pulls his cheap charlie antics in the UK my friends and I are very quick to remind him to get his hand in his pocket and pay his fair share.

It's not just a Yorkshire thing where people are tight fisted penny pinchers, they come from all over the world but it was annoying to me wasting over an hour of time finding a taxi to save him 2 UK pounds, he's a millionaire, do you think £2 would have hurt him in the pocket.?.

HTH.

The reason I asked is because a guy I work with has got to be well up there. I know that he bought 4 pairs of second hand shoes from the market at aranya pratet,

he would WALK from Petkasem somewhere to Patpong , drink 2 litres of coke from 7-11 and then sit in a bar all night on one coke.

He will walk an extra five minutes to save 1 baht on the price of something.

He uses the same teabag all day.

Many other things too. All I can say is that he comes from a certain Eastern European country. See if you can guess which one.

Does he turn the gas off when he turns the bacon over he's grilling.crazy.gif

The reason I asked is because a guy I work with has got to be well up there. I know that he bought 4 pairs of second hand shoes from the market at aranya pratet,

he would WALK from Petkasem somewhere to Patpong , drink 2 litres of coke from 7-11 and then sit in a bar all night on one coke.

Many other things too. All I can say is that he comes from a certain Eastern European country. See if you can guess which one.

Let me guess...................Yours?

I think if he chooses not to fill his room with a girl then that's up to him. He's used the vehicle as a resource, the girlfriend as a resource and had half a bungalow to himself whereas they've had to share. If it was 2 adjoining hotel rooms and you kept the middle door open so a mate could enjoy your witty repartee would you expect to pay a quarter of his room cost?

Now in the bar or eaterie is different unless the couple are sharing a plate or 2 straws in each drink. 3 orders divided by 3 but the rooms are clearly 2 units divided by 2 sets of occupants.

If they'd stayed 3 nights and the friend had had a threesome one night, a midget the second night and a redhead the 3rd how would he have broken his costs down?

my wife is now aggrieved that I'll be charging her petrol money but not the 4 year old perhaps we will pro rata by the kilo...

• Like 2

Read the last part of my original post, I said I think "By the way he acts the same in the UK".

I wasn't going to pull him on his cheap charlie antics on his last night and day in Thailand but you can be assured I had a word when I saw him after I returned to the UK, when he pulls his cheap charlie antics in the UK my friends and I are very quick to remind him to get his hand in his pocket and pay his fair share.

It's not just a Yorkshire thing where people are tight fisted penny pinchers, they come from all over the world but it was annoying to me wasting over an hour of time finding a taxi to save him 2 UK pounds, he's a millionaire, do you think £2 would have hurt him in the pocket.?.

HTH.

Its a psychological thing, my father is a millionaire too and his parsimony can range from being admirable, sometimes funny, but also sometimes deeply annoying and embaressing. Returning from a recent trip to Thailand I had arranged for him to get a seat in business class, ( I paid, no way he would pay ), he was then collected by limousine from the airport and taken home. On the way he decided he wanted to take care of some business so he got the Limo to drop him off in the next town. Once he had transacted his business he went to the bus stop with suitcase in hand and took a free bus home, using his pensioners bus pass.

He sat there hunched up in his seat cuddling his suitcase rather than pay £6.00 for a taxi home.

I am not skint, but I would rather have less money and get enjoyment from it as I do, than be a multi-millionaire that guards every coin.

I have friends, several couples, who are so cheap they won't allow me to pay a restaurant bill.smile.png

They will pay it and ask me to settle up in the car park.

The reasons are that I leave too big a tip, and it makes it hard for them to tip their usual, almost nothing. I don't mind leaving a reasonable amount for the staff, especially since most meals are about 1/5 of the cost I would pay back home. If a bill comes to, for instance 400 or 890 baht, I would leave 500 or 1000 and not pick up change. I never handle coins.

These friends are comfortably well off (probably millionaire status) but painstakingly collect every baht from the bill folder. A 20 baht tip is all they ever pay. When a good meal, plus drinks, for four, comes to about 16 dollars I just don't understand the reluctance to leave a tip.

Even my GF won't let me pay for anything these days, she handles all the money.

Are they cheap charlies or am I a fool?

Does he turn the gas off when he turns the bacon over he's grilling.crazy.gif

He's also quite happily making claims for flood damage when his house didn't flood knowing all too well that 90% of the people he works with got hit really bad. His logic is that we all knew it was coming so we should have prepared better.

Let me guess...................Yours?

er no, I'm from the UK . He is from Poland.

And yeah, they may have ended up paying 2/3..... between TWO of them. Two people in that realationship, the GF if a person as well.

Did they occupy 2/3 of the whole bungalow? That means including part of his room?

I am glad you're not one of my buds cuz your logic is flawed.

Don't bother with reply, I will just follow the advice in my signature.

Oooh, get him.

Thing is sunshine. If you go through this thread you will see that most agree with myself. What you are essentially saying is that you are right and just about everybody is a fool.

Edited by Moonrakers

I have friends, several couples, who are so cheap they won't allow me to pay a restaurant bill.smile.png

The reasons are that I leave too big a tip, and it makes it hard for them to tip their usual, almost nothing. I don't mind leaving a reasonable amount for the staff, especially since most meals are about 1/5 of the cost I would pay back home. If a bill comes to, for instance 400 or 890 baht, I would leave 500 or 1000 and not pick up change. I never handle coins.

These friends are comfortably well off (probably millionaire status) but painstakingly collect every baht from the bill folder. A 20 baht tip is all they ever pay. When a good meal, plus drinks, for four, comes to about 16 dollars I just don't understand the reluctance to leave a tip.

I am with you on this one........a decent tip can give that person a real boost who is serving you. I was at a Thai restaurant in Pai and I had the best fish meal of my life. The young lady that served my table must have been at my table 15 or 16 times refilling drinks and serving us and the service was impeccable.

I gave her a 100 baht tip and my Thai girlfriend fainted, it turns out this young lady only gets paid 100 baht for working in the restaurant after school and I tipped her the equivalent of a days work. Being bemused at the reaction of my girlfriend I made a point of sending a 200 baht tip to the kitchen staff.....after all the food was incredible.

I am with you on this one........a decent tip can give that person a real boost who is serving you. I was at a Thai restaurant in Pai and I had the best fish meal of my life. The young lady that served my table must have been at my table 15 or 16 times refilling drinks and serving us and the service was impeccable.

I gave her a 100 baht tip and my Thai girlfriend fainted, it turns out this young lady only gets paid 100 baht for working in the restaurant after school and I tipped her the equivalent of a days work. Being bemused at the reaction of my girlfriend I made a point of sending a 200 baht tip to the kitchen staff.....after all the food was incredible.

Over tipping is not a good way to go, tipping someone the equivalent of their daily wage (or half ) is ridiculous.. It will drive prices above what they should be.

totster rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Over tipping is not a good way to go, tipping someone the equivalent of their daily wage (or half ) is ridiculous.. It will drive prices above what they should be.

totster rolleyes.gif

It means that you can trouser your small silver in the confidence that the serving staff won't starve for want of it. Few of us are bothered what tip you leave, and I am sure that the staff expect some variation, so it is only your own opinion of yourself that is affected when others say how much they tip, and unless you feel the need to impress yourself, you should be able to live with that opinion.

If I myself believed that tipping heavily would drive up expectations, and that staff would make cheap charlies less welcome in such cases, then I might be tempted to tip more heavily

SC

Oooh, get him.

Thing is sunshine. If you go through this thread you will see that most agree with myself. What you are essentially saying is that you are right and just about everybody is a fool.

Ultimately the whole trip is so convoluted I see agreement with different aspects and confusion about others.

Personally I never charge my mates petrol money for seats that are going where the car is, we normally trade booze for transport. Food and booze consumed by girlfriends its either ignored or those that brought will offer extra or get the tip but then we'll out-drink our women folk 10-1.

This one seems like miscommunication rather than malice aforethought especially as later posts suggest food and beverage bills were paid separate

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

totster rolleyes.gif

It means that you can trouser your small silver in the confidence that the serving staff won't starve for want of it. Few of us are bothered what tip you leave, and I am sure that the staff expect some variation, so it is only your own opinion of yourself that is affected when others say how much they tip, and unless you feel the need to impress yourself, you should be able to live with that opinion.

If I myself believed that tipping heavily would drive up expectations, and that staff would make cheap charlies less welcome in such cases, then I might be tempted to tip more heavily

SC

You know how it works in Thailand, If the management see people tipping heavily then they will assume the food is worth more, and will hike prices.. therefore everyone looses out because of a few that like to tip irresponsibly. And I mean everyone, people will not pay for overpriced food, no customers, no tips, no jobs.

totster :D

Oooh, get him.

Ultimately the whole trip is so convoluted I see agreement with different aspects and confusion about others.

Personally I never charge my mates petrol money for seats that are going where the car is, we normally trade booze for transport. Food and booze consumed by girlfriends its either ignored or those that brought will offer extra or get the tip but then we'll out-drink our women folk 10-1.

This one seems like miscommunication rather than malice aforethought especially as later posts suggest food and beverage bills were paid separate

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

You are right.

There's rights and wrongs to both sides of the argument. The thing is, I'd likely just split it 50/50 with a friend myself, depending on who the friend is and who the GF is. The thing is though that it is never right for somebody to expect a freebie, and then complain afterwards.

If there is an agreement in place first or if it is a kind of rule between close friends then fine, but that clearly isn't the case here. As I mentioned before, he's made the assumption it is OK and he was wrong. And the gf has a fuc_king cheek to complain after getting a freebie herself, I'd tell her where she can shove her freebies in the future.

You know how it works in Thailand, If the management see people tipping heavily then they will assume the food is worth more, and will hike prices.. therefore everyone looses out because of a few that like to tip irresponsibly. And I mean everyone, people will not pay for overpriced food, no customers, no tips, no jobs.

totster biggrin.png

Normally, if there is 10% service charge, I'll not leave anything; even to the point of clearing away the smallest buttons, because it would be embarrassing to everyone just to leave a few coppers. If there is no 10%, I try to leave more than 10%, since people should not be punished for making it discretionary...

In the bars, I prefer to hand over tips seperately, rather than relying on the management to handle the distribution...

SC

What I really hate is the vibe in places with the 10 percent service charge in more tourist situations where a lot people still tip well ABOVE that (often tourists without a clue) and then the staff gets snitty to people, yes like me, who will not tip above that. Some people say you don't know if the staff really gets that service charge. Not my business. Sorry.

Edited by Jingthing

In this particular care YOU are missing the point and their buddy is being a cheap charly.

Yes they had an option to rent it as 2 separate units OR one unit. This is the difference. He didn't mention (except that his GF madde a deal with the owner), but I am sure the cost of a complete bungalow was less than the cost of 2 separate units so by renting it as a whole, each of the parties was getting a discount.

If they rented separate, their bud would have paid more (full price), and they (couple) would have paid full price.

Because they DID rent it as a whole, their bud was supposed to pay discounted price for his half-unit (he DID occupy a half of the unit, didn't he?), and they were supposed to pay discounted price for their half-unit (they both occupied other HALF of the unit, didn't they?).

At the end, their tight-ass-budd ended up paying 1/3 of the total price and they ended up paying 2/3 which is probably more than the cost of half-a-unit before the discount. If you fail to see it, try to play with numbers and see yourself.

4500 baht if separate units no discount (just for example)

each party pays 4500 baht

now, a whole discounted unit is 8000 baht

each party pays 4000 baht

instead their bud pays 1/3 or 2666 baht (I took the minibar cost out), and they paid 2/3 or 5333 baht

So tell me again they are wrong about complaining. Their intentions of a discounted unit (thx to his GF by the way) for sure didn't unclude giving his buddy a break at THEIR expence!

They didn't talk it out before agreeing on the rent - that's their fault, but it should have been obvious.

You might be in the minority, but i think your totally correct on this one.

It should have been split 50-50 (4000bt each).

I was in a taxi the other day that wasn't going to give me change for a 70 baht trip from 100.

Cheeky sod, he just assumed he could take the 30 baht as a tip. I usually don't worry about the odd few coins if they don't seem to have them, this time I made sure he gave me every single baht I was due.

I was in a taxi the other day that wasn't going to give me change for a 70 baht trip from 100.

Cheeky sod, he just assumed he could take the 30 baht as a tip. I usually don't worry about the odd few coins if they don't seem to have them, this time I made sure he gave me every single baht I was due.

"Fair enough. Call it fifty, and I'll give you the other twenty next time... "

SC

In this particular care YOU are missing the point and their buddy is being a cheap charly.

Yes they had an option to rent it as 2 separate units OR one unit. This is the difference. He didn't mention (except that his GF madde a deal with the owner), but I am sure the cost of a complete bungalow was less than the cost of 2 separate units so by renting it as a whole, each of the parties was getting a discount.

If they rented separate, their bud would have paid more (full price), and they (couple) would have paid full price.

Because they DID rent it as a whole, their bud was supposed to pay discounted price for his half-unit (he DID occupy a half of the unit, didn't he?), and they were supposed to pay discounted price for their half-unit (they both occupied other HALF of the unit, didn't they?).

At the end, their tight-ass-budd ended up paying 1/3 of the total price and they ended up paying 2/3 which is probably more than the cost of half-a-unit before the discount. If you fail to see it, try to play with numbers and see yourself.

instead their bud pays 1/3 or 2666 baht (I took the minibar cost out), and they paid 2/3 or 5333 baht

So tell me again they are wrong about complaining. Their intentions of a discounted unit (thx to his GF by the way) for sure didn't unclude giving his buddy a break at THEIR expence!

They didn't talk it out before agreeing on the rent - that's their fault, but it should have been obvious.

I agree with that too.. in hotels and such you pay per room.

No reason for him to get a discount. Could have been different if it was one unit and not 2 separate ones.

I agree with that too.. in hotels and such you pay per room.

No reason for him to get a discount. Could have been different if it was one unit and not 2 separate ones.

It was one unit

They had the option of renting as two separate units but chose instead to rent it as one.

Edited by Moonrakers