To Songkran Or Not To Songkran 2012

chubby

Do it once or twice fine. Do not plan to get anything achieved April 13-15, for example, standing on the street hailing a taxi to the airport as someone will throw water over you and your bags and you'll have to be sopping wet on the plane for 12 hours. wai.gif

Yea, sure, it's totaly impossible to change clothes at the airport.wink.png

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chubby ... I replied to your other post about the holidays associated with Songkran.

Having travelled here many times during Songkran I have experienced it in many locations and have been to the Temple and washed the shoulders and hands of the monks then straight into the Temple grounds for a water fight with the kids.

Last year was in the back of the GF's friend's pick-up with 10 other Thais, a 44 gallon drum of water and a very big block of ice. Buy a quality water pistol and have a spare in case it breaks. But the simple small ice-cream bucket is best for water dispersal unless you want to play sniper.

Two years ago I had the mis-timing to be in Pattaya for Songkran.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go there.

Never go ANYWHERE where there is a large concentration of Falangs for Songkran ... the drunken idiots have no idea about the Festival.

They have no idea of the Thai concept of Sanok.

Songkran (after you have paid the appropriate respect) is about having fun ... not trying to get the other person wet.

Some idiot on Beach Road (Pattaya) jumped in the back of the songtel with a small hose and saturated everyone. Me in my travel clothes, luggage, computer bag etc, the 2 old ladies, the mother with her (now crying) kid.

He just chuckled and moved on to the next one.

Then some richer Farang hired the water tanker and with a 2 inch hose had his fun ... <deleted>*cking idiot! It was someting you see when there are riots and the water cannon is produced to dispel the crowd.

Play with the Thais, you'll have more fun and less hassle.

Wear a hat ... as the sunscreen will be washed off with the first face powder that is applied.

Chiang Mai does seem to go off and getting sprayed by the elephants could be a great Kodak moment .... but the Farang rule still applies.

Careful with the phone and camera ... water and electrics don't mix.

Also during the 4 days last year we lost something approaching 380 on the roads ... so be careful and have a blast!

Oh ... the shirt ... don't forget to buy the Songkran shirt!

post-104736-0-27707500-1327023285_thumb.post-104736-0-86723000-1327023304_thumb.post-104736-0-38273800-1327023322_thumb.post-104736-0-45144600-1327023341_thumb.post-104736-0-99894000-1327023356_thumb.post-104736-0-92097600-1327023387_thumb.post-104736-0-06809700-1327023413_thumb.

post-104736-0-27556300-1327023448_thumb.

post-104736-0-27347000-1327023466_thumb.

All photos sourced from the internet ... but typicial of what you see when celebrating Songkran with the Thais.

Edited by David48
  • Like 1

All Chiang Mai. One of the best places for Songkran. If you fancy some more: http://myfriendyou.c...kran/thumb.html

I agree, Chiang Mai is a superb location for Songkran

I disagree. Philippines, Vietnam, or Malaysia are superb locations for Songkran--to mention nearby countries.

This doesn't look like the annual HATE SONGKRAN thread--yet. It's still a bit early.

I will be there for songkram this year and Chang Mai looks like the place to go. I was in Hua Hin last time and it was great fun, but I got a wicked ear infection. This time I will remember ear plugs and goggles.

Songkran Pattaya 2012:

1) Buy food and beer in advance for 5 days.

2) Stay indoors for 5 days.

3) Repeat in 2013

thumbsup.gif

or

1) Buy flight to Malaysia.

2) Stay there for 5 days.

3) Repeat in 2013.

That's what I do too. Many nice places in Malaysia, friendly people and a level of civilization I miss in Thailand.

Edited by GreenSnapper

Hell yes, only days of the year where i can legally stand in front of a busy street and try to make motorbike drivers using their phones or not wearing elmets fall with strong water in the eyes.

During those days i am teaching thais how to be good responsible human beings, its fun.

dont worry its a slow street, nothing more than broken cellphones and small bruises when they fall

Edited by thaiIand
  • Like 1

Hi chubby ... I replied to your other post about the holidays associated with Songkran.

Having travelled here many times during Songkran I have experienced it in many locations and have been to the Temple and washed the shoulders and hands of the monks then straight into the Temple grounds for a water fight with the kids.

Last year was in the back of the GF's friend's pick-up with 10 other Thais, a 44 gallon drum of water and a very big block of ice. Buy a quality water pistol and have a spare in case it breaks. But the simple small ice-cream bucket is best for water dispersal unless you want to play sniper.

Two years ago I had the mis-timing to be in Pattaya for Songkran.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go there.

Never go ANYWHERE where there is a large concentration of Falangs for Songkran ... the drunken idiots have no idea about the Festival.

They have no idea of the Thai concept of Sanok.

Songkran (after you have paid the appropriate respect) is about having fun ... not trying to get the other person wet.

Some idiot on Beach Road (Pattaya) jumped in the back of the songtel with a small hose and saturated everyone. Me in my travel clothes, luggage, computer bag etc, the 2 old ladies, the mother with her (now crying) kid.

He just chuckled and moved on to the next one.

Then some richer Farang hired the water tanker and with a 2 inch hose had his fun ... <deleted>*cking idiot! It was someting you see when there are riots and the water cannon is produced to dispel the crowd.

Play with the Thais, you'll have more fun and less hassle.

Wear a hat ... as the sunscreen will be washed off with the first face powder that is applied.

Chiang Mai does seem to go off and getting sprayed by the elephants could be a great Kodak moment .... but the Farang rule still applies.

Careful with the phone and camera ... water and electrics don't mix.

Also during the 4 days last year we lost something approaching 380 on the roads ... so be careful and have a blast!

post-104736-0-27707500-1327023285_thumb.post-104736-0-86723000-1327023304_thumb.post-104736-0-38273800-1327023322_thumb.post-104736-0-45144600-1327023341_thumb.post-104736-0-99894000-1327023356_thumb.post-104736-0-92097600-1327023387_thumb.post-104736-0-06809700-1327023413_thumb.

post-104736-0-27556300-1327023448_thumb.

post-104736-0-27347000-1327023466_thumb.

All photos sourced from the internet ... but typicial of what you see when celebrating Songkran with the Thais.

.........the "shirt" ?

I will be there for songkram this year and Chang Mai looks like the place to go. I was in Hua Hin last time and it was great fun, but I got a wicked ear infection. This time I will remember ear plugs and goggles.

Yes or plenty of alcohol (not the drinking kind, the Isopropyl kind) and vinegar to remove water from and disinfect your ears..

The timing of Songkran differs throughout the country thankfully. As soon as the festival (mayhem) starts in Pattaya I beat a hasty through the night retreat to Lomsak where the nonsense has been brought to an end. A great time with the family before returning to chez nous after sanity is restored.

.........the "shirt" ?

Think Hawaiian … most of the shops (markets, TESCO and the like) have them for sale before Songkran. Size maybe a bit of a problem though. I’m no elephant and mine was a bit snug.

If you watch the Thai news the presenters will be wearing them, market stall operators etc.

Don’t forget that it’s celebrated at different times in the different parts of Thailand.

Pattaya, for example, celebrates it a week later and ties it in with a few other Festivals.

Some useful expressions …

Mai ow (as in owwww … that hurts) crupno want (also good for those pesky DVD/watch/sunglasses/toy/Issan sales people)

Yaa naaa crupdon’t do

Suk Sun Waarn Songkran Crup … Happy (Thai) New Year

assuming there is anyone left in Chang Mai to celebrate with, where would be the best area for it.

You could pm one of the moderators in the Chiang Mai Forum, or start a discussion topic there.

Don't worry, there will be heaps of people there.

I've never been before for the Chiang Mai Songkran but I'm sure anywhere near the walls of the old city and hence the moat will be going off and the most likely concentrated around the 'Gate' areas ... the Gates in the old City wall.

assuming there is anyone left in Chang Mai to celebrate with, where would be the best area for it.

You could pm one of the moderators in the Chiang Mai Forum, or start a discussion topic there.

Don't worry, there will be heaps of people there.

I've never been before for the Chiang Mai Songkran but I'm sure anywhere near the walls of the old city and hence the moat will be going off and the most likely concentrated around the 'Gate' areas ... the Gates in the old City wall.

LOL, Thanks for the reply, sounds good, not sure if I want the moat water over me, Klong water infected my ear last time.

Edited by waza

Don’t forget that it’s celebrated at different times in the different parts of Thailand

Yes, so how can it then be "the Thai new year" as one member posted? That's an clear evidence that the "celebration" is just a party thing. Nothing to do with new year.

• Like 1

The Songkran festival (Thai: สงกรานต์, Khmer: សង្រ្កាន្ត; from the Sanskrit word saṃkrānti,[1] or literally "astrological passage") is celebrated in Thailand as the traditional New Year's Day from 13 to 15 April. It coincides with the New Year of many calendars of South and Southeast Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songkran

The Songkran festival (Thai: สงกรานต์, Khmer: សង្រ្កាន្ត; from the Sanskrit word saṃkrānti,[1] or literally "astrological passage") is celebrated in Thailand as the traditional New Year's Day from 13 to 15 April. It coincides with the New Year of many calendars of South and Southeast Asia.

God Bless Wikipedia.wai.gif

The always factual bastion of everything.rolleyes.gif

I used to be like you - hated getting splashed. Then I discovered that it was a great time to take photos. Now I look forward to Songkran. However, if you are going to "celebrate" Songkran without buddies - it wouldn't be as fun. I celebrate with locals.

So what about the different times? Pattaya, for example, celebrates it a week later . Do they have a different calendar? unsure.png

So what about the different times? Pattaya, for example, celebrates it a week later . Do they have a different calendar? unsure.png

They used to celebrate a week later than everyone else, so anyone who wanted to avoid it in other places could go there to escape and the hotels would do a lot of business. Unfortunately, these days, it seems to have just turned into a 10 day event instead and is probably the worst place in the country because of all the soccer hooligan types that tend to hang out there.

Edited by Ulysses G.