Should Fat Farang Be Charged More For Taking Up Too Much Space On Songthaews?

theblether

Altho I do believe that airlines should not seat really, seriously obese people in a normal seat next to 'normal' passengers

Would it be better to seat the "obese" people next to each other? rolleyes.gif

Airlines should institute a maximum size for passengers, just like they do for overhead luggage. When you approach ticketing, there is a little device you can use to see if any luggage is small enough to fit in the overhead compartment. If it doesn't fit, it goes in the hold of the airplane. Same thing should apply to passengers. If you are too fat to fit in the seat, you go in the hold.

• Like 1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The word FARANG should be taken out of the question. Farang are not the only ones who can be overweight, there are plenty of Thais around who are also overweight. Or is the OP suggesting that fat Thais should not be charged more?

• Like 1

Altho I do believe that airlines should not seat really, seriously obese people in a normal seat next to 'normal' passengers

Would it be better to seat the "obese" people next to each other? rolleyes.gif

Airlines should institute a maximum size for passengers, just like they do for overhead luggage. When you approach ticketing, there is a little device you can use to see if any luggage is small enough to fit in the overhead compartment. If it doesn't fit, it goes in the hold of the airplane. Same thing should apply to passengers. If you are too fat to fit in the seat, you go in the hold.

Airlines should provide special wider seating for really fat people or make them travel only in business/first class where the seats are larger anyway. The wider seats would cost more and be compulsory for passengers over ??? waist/hip size.

• Like 1

Fat people can loose weight if they need to... I have a mate who is a radiation therapist... their machine is only capable of weight up to 140kg... he said when they knock back a patient for their weight, they can usually get under 140kg in only a week or two so that they can be treated... he also said they rarely bother trying to continue to loose weight (despite having cancer), yet often go back over 140kg and have their treatment stopped while they loose weight again...

Next will be cripples and puppies.

And cripples with puppies, "Oh, I'm more important than you, I have an 'assistance dog'..." taking the piss...

The word FARANG should be taken out of the question. Farang are not the only ones who can be overweight, there are plenty of Thais around who are also overweight. Or is the OP suggesting that fat Thais should not be charged more?

Don't be a arse. The percentile comparisons aren't even close.

Stop apologising for cultures that take over weight as a natural acceptance.

Seen as this thread is slagging off and i guess offending to fat people.

How about another thread about kicking all over 45 year old men out of thailand. They dont do us younger chaps any favours. They up the prices. give us normal farang a bad name, look washed up. what else? list goes on.............

Guess that puts you in the fat category then? lol with a chip on your shoulder to boot.... sorry mate could not resist it!jap.gif

Fat people can loose weight if they need to... I have a mate who is a radiation therapist... their machine is only capable of weight up to 140kg... he said when they knock back a patient for their weight, they can usually get under 140kg in only a week or two so that they can be treated... he also said they rarely bother trying to continue to loose weight (despite having cancer), yet often go back over 140kg and have their treatment stopped while they loose weight again...

Next will be cripples and puppies.

And cripples with puppies, "Oh, I'm more important than you, I have an 'assistance dog'..." taking the piss...

Yea fat people can loose weight. If i can do it anyone can. Its just an attitude problem. Loosing weight is hard for some people . You have to exercise and eat less and better things. Might even have to stop drinking.

I gained some weight because i was unable to train during the floods, also i started drinking more (not much else to do in the house) I dont look fat, but i just dont like the extra weight. So now it has to go off again. That is not an easy road, it cost time and effort. Its easier doing nothing and drinking then doing some exercise every day and sticking to a food program and no alcohol.

I agree with KKK.

Thailand is now the fattest country in Asia. Diabetes related to overweight and sugar abuse is now epidemic in rural and urban areas alike. Just watch what the kids carry out of 7-11.

It's way past the "natural acceptance" stage. sad.png

http://www.enjoythaifood.com/fatthaikids.php

Being serious for a moment, I think the airline industry is stuffed up in their thinking!

In 1995 I flew from Australia to London for about $2,200, when the average wage was approx $25,000. Today, with wages averaging about $70,000 I could do the same trip with AirAsia for under $1,000. It doesn't make sense!

Granted, aircraft are about 40% more fuel efficient, but the profit margines now are so low it doesn't take much for companies to go broke. Yes, there is enormous competition, but the strategies of shrinking seat sizes to fit as many people in as possible, and charging extra for everything they can think of [meals, pillows, headsets] is wrong.

For a long haul flight, jamming even the skinny <deleted> into a seat 43 centimetres wide and with 72 centremetres of leg room is cruel. Most people, fat or not, just arn't that size anymore. It's detrimental to your health to spend so long cramped into such a space.

I would be happy to pay up to twice as much to get a decent seat with leg room [buying 2 seats is not the answer], but very few provide these [premium economy?]. And I am not interested in paying 4 or 5 times as much for a linen tablecloth and silver cutlery!

Instead of making affordable comfort for their customers, airlines use their research budgets designing slimmer seat backs so they can squeaze in an extra row of seats.

The average human is bigger now than in1995, but aircraft seats have shrunk. There's something very wrong with the way they do business!

Old Croc,

It is the same with a lot of things... we say we would pay more, we say we want to buy local, we say we want to buy green, but rest assured, the airline marketing departments aren't stupid...

People purchase based upon value for money, but money takes a higher priority than service... where they really get it wrong is where the service is worse, but the price high (Qantas)...

Where I think they really get it wrong is the massive difference between economy and any upgrade... It used to be $x for Economy, $2X for Business, and $4x for First... now it is $x for Economy... $2.5x for Premium Economy... $5x for Business... and $8x for First...

Where most companies used business class for all employees on international travel, I now know no companies (other than airlines themselves) that fly anyone business below very Senior Management, and First below C-level... who can justify to their boss the difference between $1200 and $6000 or $9,500 for a plane that gets you to the destination at the same time???

Whislt low fares are allowing more people to travel (unfortunately biggrin.png ) and filling up the back of the plane, it has been at the expense of the business traveller market... I think that is probably where 'premium brand' airlines are loosing the most, as business travellers go to lower priced airlines to enable them to still be able to travel business/first class...

Daewoo

• 2 months later...

What utter crap.......

I've been thinking about this for a long time. How does the airplane companies calculate this? I mean there must be a maximum weight that the airplane can move safely, and they have a specific amount of seats that they want to fill (all). So, have they calculated that x % of their customers are owerweight and some are underweight. Not to mention if you want to bring luggage that weight more than the norm, they are happy to take it onboard for an extra fee. So how do they know when it's over the limit for a safe flight? unsure.png

It's quite simple really, there are sensors on the 3 struts above the wheels so the plane weighs itself and adds the additional weight of what remains of the undercarrage.

All fat people should be punished for their selfishness.

Everybody suffers because of their weakness for gluttony......If I get one beside me on an airline woe betide him if so much as a cm of blubber spills over into my space....

What are you going to do? Attack them with a lifo-suction machine?

Have them removed from the flight. Or move me to an identical aisle seat or upgrade me.

Its unacceptable to be waddling up an aisle and have a sweating pile of blubber park his arse next to mine.

It's obvious nobody will be removed from a flight to satisfy your petty complaint. How many times has the other part of your strategy worked?

Everybody suffers because of their weakness for gluttony......If I get one beside me on an airline woe betide him if so much as a cm of blubber spills over into my space....

What are you going to do? Attack them with a lifo-suction machine?

Have them removed from the flight. Or move me to an identical aisle seat or upgrade me.

Its unacceptable to be waddling up an aisle and have a sweating pile of blubber park his arse next to mine.

It's obvious nobody will be removed from a flight to satisfy your petty complaint. How many times has the other part of your strategy worked?

It was indeed tongue in cheek........

Are you a bit of a Porker yourself.....1zgarz5.gif

It was indeed tongue in cheek........

Are you a bit of a Porker yourself.....1zgarz5.gif

No; a humourless 83kgs. Edited by pastitche