How "Militarily Oriented" Are Y'All? (Choose The Closest Choice For You)

Jingthing

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

My country wasn't at war when I reached peak military joining age. I wouldn't have volunteered for the Nam though, which is a moot point as I was ineligible to serve for multiple reasons. So I did rack up a lot of experience in ANTI-WAR protest, getting tear gassed and such. I think a one or two year mandatory national service (not necessarily military service) is a good idea for many countries. C'est la guerre.

Edited by Jingthing

I served 25 years, boy and man the the Royal Air Force.

I was and still am proud of it.

As you should be sir,I have the upmost respect for those who serve their said countries.

It's not something I ever wanted to do.

Edited by stoneyboy
  • Like 1

I ticked joined up but not fought in a live war theater. But then I have only done just over 9 years of my military career. I'm hoping to complete enough service for my full pension (22 years). So i think it's just a matter of time.

I'm also in the Navy, which lowers my chance of being in the thick of it. But never say never.

I'm also very proud to be serving in the British Royal Navy. There's no better feeling than marching along, in full rig, rifle in hand and people clapping as you go by. It's bitter sweet though, because most of those times are remembrance days for are fallen.

Edited by dean999

I served just over 15 years, HM forces. Did not enjoy every minutes, however would not have changed a thing. The most rewarding time of my life, good people and some good friends.

I did my bit on 2 of my 4 N, Ireland..4 month tours, losing a good friend, (my driver) on one said tour in Belfast.

I saw action in the Falkland’s, shot at by small arms fire, heavy MG, picked my way through minefield under fire, been shelled by ‘Pack Howitzers’, 105 and 155’s, strafed by a ‘Pucaras’ (nasty little plane…packs a punch) and………If you believe it, after the BBC reported one night that British troop where on….(can’t remember the name of the mountain) The Argies dropped 4 1000 Lb. HE PD bombs from a C130….( they rolled them out the back door) cheeky bastard!

I saw action in Central America, once and Africa on and off all though the 80’s and 90’s……..always protecting some warlord from………some other warlord, well, that how it felt…….It was along this road, I began to lose my luster and belief in what I was doing.

I both blame and thank my service life for giving me the travel bug. The services took me all over the world. Having spent time in such places as, both Artic circles, a number of deserts, rain forests and jungles, I’ve lived with former headhunters of central Borneo…..For months, I’ve driven dog teams in Greenland, and I was involved in the biggest scrap of my life with a bunch of civvies in Salisbury on a run ashore …Ha ha! ……..And got paid for it!

You know…Well other service people will, when you make a friend in the service; you have a friend for life. I’ve just, (3 weeks ago) spoke to an old bud from back in the day …..Within 15 minutes….We were…well it was as if we saw each other every day, we hadn’t seen or spoke for over 20 years, amazing! We were back to verbally abusing each other, with such ease… Another guy I knew, (nice guy) a civvies, I moved to Thailand and within 6 or 7 weeks he sent me a shitty email because I hadn’t been in touch….Get a grip!

Hats off to all service personnel, whatever country or service arm you are….Only a serviceman knows what another is going through.

Yes girls even the birds….Who else is going to change the ‘doilies’ in the tanks when they get dirty? Only kidding girls….Keep it up!

Edited by Tonto21

As you should be sir,I have the upmost respect for those who serve their said countries.

I my career I ended up with one medal, the Long Service and Good Conduct medal.

I was fortunate not to have served in an active service zone but if I had been it was what I was paid for.

However local and national government officials in Thailand have far more medals than I do, but I earned mine.

I my career I ended up with one medal, the Long Service and Good Conduct medal.

I was fortunate not to have served in an active service zone but if I had been it was what I was paid for.

However local and national government officials in Thailand have far more medals than I do, but I earned mine.

You want to see a country that gets a lot of medals, look at the yanks.

Sir, today i managed to tie my shoe laces. Brilliant [add service] heres a medal. giggle.gif

Edited by dean999

I would have predicted well over 50 percent without any military experience, though I'm not really up on which countries have mandatory national service.

I don’t know Jing, I think the military types are more prone to chest-thumping and more inclined to respond to a thread of this nature. Just read the responses. For many of those who never served, it is kind of a nonissue.
  • Like 1

I would have predicted well over 50 percent without any military experience, though I'm not really up on which countries have mandatory national service.

I don’t know Jing, I think the military types are more prone to chest-thumping and more inclined to respond to a thread of this nature. Just read the responses. For many of those who never served, it is kind of a nonissue.

Yeah, that makes sense. Of course any poll here is about as scientific as an ice cream sandwich. Reminds me of a comedy line I recently watched from the late great Bill Hicks speaking of the war in Iraq: I support the war but don't support the troops. (A joke, OK.)

It's going to be a non-issue for those that never served. Genius. Please, share more of your wisdom. coffee1.gif

It's going to be a non-issue for those that never served. Genius. Please, share more of your wisdom. coffee1.gif

Obviously you are a man of great wisdom, as well. I of course would not refer to myself as a genius but am flattered when others do.wink.png
  • Like 1

Obviously you are a man of great wisdom, as well. I of course would not refer to myself as a genius but am flattered when others do.wink.png

Most of the ex military guys I know in Thailand don't go around chest thumping or shouting how good they are and how they can kill or disable you with just one finger.

They just get on with their lives and are quietly proud of what they acheived.

The loudmouthed chest-thumpers that are so often seen in bars are probably not ex servicemen unless they were in Fred Karno's barmy army serving under the name of Walter Mitty.

• Like 2

I was in the Boy Scouts but then I was kicked out fer stealin' the scoutmaster's cigarettes...I wouldn't have been any good as a soldier, I haveta admit...no respect for authority...the drill sergeant snarls: 'get up there, ye stinkin' pussy and blah, blah...'...tutsi, who's bigger and stronger and carrying a weapon with live ammo is annoyed and responds: ' hey, why don't you get fcuked??...'

I have respect for those that have served and have gotten shot at and have endured the associated horrors with the civilian casualties and the devastation...my respect is for their bravery and emotional endurance...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

You should have included ex-SAS or US Black-Ops among the options then all those guys in the Pattaya bars could have voted.

I have never served, though Dad was regular Army.

Fought in WWII in the Middle East.

He NEVER talked about it (the war) ... you just had to drag the stories out of him.

Never proud about what he did ... but proud that he did it professionally and proud to have served his country.

Three VFW clubs in Thailand that I know of. I think about 200 members each. They check the paperwork and one has to be a vet of a foreign war to join. Just being in the military is not enough to qualify, one has to have served in a combat zone.

Speaking of Vietnam service, I have never met anyone who served in Vietnam call it "The Nam", but I don't talk to a lot of people about Vietnam so my experience may be unique. To me it is one of those words like "Gook", that if I hear it I stop talking and walk away.

Speaking of Vietnam service, I have never met anyone who served in Vietnam call it "The Nam", but I don't talk to a lot of people about Vietnam so my experience may be unique. To me it is one of those words like "Gook", that if I hear it I stop talking and walk away.

That's interesting. I used to hang out with Vietnam vets, such as John Kerry, and you're right calling it The Nam wasn't happening.

That's interesting. I used to hang out with Vietnam vets, such as John Kerry, and you're right calling it The Nam wasn't happening.

Nothing like waving a red flag in front of a bull. But I guess mentioning John Kerry to a Vietnam Vet is not quite as bad as confirming a statement about the war by talking about Jane Fonda.

Nothing like waving a red flag in front of a bull. But I guess mentioning John Kerry to a Vietnam Vet is not quite as bad as confirming a statement about the war by talking about Jane Fonda.

John Kerry is a great American.